new package suggestion

mihaid

From what I read on the forum, it seems that one of the files accompanying the video keeps track of the point in the recording. I was wondering whether it would be possible to read that file and do a report containing the videos which have been started but not finished. It would pinpoint one to finish watching them and then deleting. Possibly a button on the browse page of webif could run such a report.

One shortfall is that, if you stop watching when the credits appear at the end (I suspect most people do) even "watched" recordings would be treated as unfinished.

Otherwise I think it would be a good idea.

This is an interesting idea. The listings in the WebIF could be accompanied by a percentage viewed bar.

If you stop it at credits then you watched so you delete it, simples

Not necessarily. You might want to be able to disable this on certain folders (probably recursively too). My kids have loads of stuff stored in their own folder structure that I certainly can't delete, but equally have no interest in how much has been watched and wouldn't want that cluttering up any type of report.

You'd only get a report if you push the button. Don't want a report, don't push the button.

This sounds like the sort of thing that the TV Diary pkg might reasonably be asked to do...? It already has a Video Inventory tab...

I could add a new icon to the browse page if it would be generally useful.

There is already a started / not started flag in the WebIF media browser (as per the standard yellow "+" flag). The OP requests a specific list of recordings not viewed, and (as mentioned above) the TV Diary would seem to be the natural home for this.

To address the problem of recordings partially viewed, bearing in mind this should exclude recordings viewed to the end of the actual programme but not to the end of the recording, some kind of progress bar similar to the timeline one gets on the TV screen would seem to be the best bet.

That would not be useful for recordings in folders
I could add a new icon to the browse page if it would be generally useful.
To put the report on tvdiary would force someone to install that package. To add percentage things to recordings entries would still need you to scan through the whole list. The report I was after would list just the recordings started but not finished. I would imagine that most people do not have lots of such recordings so the list could be read in an instant.

Hi, I'm coming late to this. How can you track the viewing position in the recording?
It sounds like something I'd like to use in TV Diary because I'm getting silly playback statistics as I pause at advert breaks, go off and do something more interesting, then come back and step over the ads, and it ends up looking like I've spent far longer watching than I really did. I've got a monthly summary column for "barely watched" programmes, but it's not showing as much as I'd expect.
I've got sorting the inventory by date pencilled in, and indicating or filtering the barely/unwatched videos could also be included.
(I have searched for the thread describing this, to no avail.)

Hi, I'm coming late to this. How can you track the viewing position in the recording?
It's stored in the hmt file. There isn't a method in the ts class to retrieve this though (yet).

Code:
humax# hmt New_\ NCIS_20140530_2101. | grep resumes
Play resumes at: 3296 seconds in.

Ah, cheers. It doesn't look like it'll help me as the value only changes when I do a complete stop. Pause has no effect.

I've added it to the latest webif ts.class and browse interface anyway:

Screenshot%202014-06-03%2023.33.39.png

You may be able to detect pauses from the lsof output - the byte position should stop - but it may not be completely reliable.

To put the report on tvdiary would force someone to install that package.
Err... Yes, but it would be a package anyway! TV Diary is already doing that kind of thing, so it would be silly to do it somewhere else.

Could "Resumes" be in minutes and seconds, rather than just seconds? I think it fits better with the Duration which is already shown in minutes.

If you create a file on the Humax called /mod/webif/html/unwatched.jim with the following contents you can then point a web browser at http://<humax>/unwatched.jim to see a report. It will need making executable from the command line with the following command:

humax# chmod 755 /mod/webif/html/unwatched.jim

This considers a recording as unfinished if the resume point is more than 60 seconds in and more than 300 seconds from the end. You can tweak the parameters to suit.

Code:
#!/mod/bin/jimsh

source /mod/webif/lib/setup
require system.class ts.class progressbar

header

puts {
<h3>Unfinished Recordings</h3>
<table class=keyval>
}

ts iterate [lambda {ts} {
        set dur [$ts duration 1]
        set res [$ts get resume]