New plans for Freeview frequencies in a few years?

D

Deleted member 473

A yearly magazine plopped through my letterbox today. I was browsing through it and came across mention that there are plans to move Freeview to another frequency range in a few years' time.

That would be outrageous, involving changing aerials, TVs and also PVRs. (Yes, those ten Fox T2s some of you bought would become worthless!)

It could be worse than simply moving frequencies, the article HERE says that terrestrial TV may be fed via the internet, which would free up the UHF bands for things that can't work without it, like mobile devices

I hate this get rich quick attitude the government has, Trains, Energy Companies and now The Royal Mail, this country is going to the dogs.

It could be worse than simply moving frequencies, the article HERE says that terrestrial TV may be fed via the internet, which would free up the UHF bands for things that can't work without it, like mobile devices

Anything could happen by 2030, but 5G replacing the current frequencies could happen from 2018.

So, a whole load of new equipment people recently invested in becomes redundant?

I wonder if they'd throw an election for the sake of selling a few £b of airwaves.
I think that like DAB it's going to be a long process.
For one thing it will need massive infrastructure from ISPs and probably FTTH to be remotely practical. Don't forget, some homes have several TVs and could be watching several different (HD) channels - that's a lot of bandwith ... times X million homes ...

Don't forget, some homes have several TVs and could be watching several different (HD) channels - that's a lot of bandwith ... times X million homes ...
BT are fairly well along with rolling out fibre multicast though.

FM Radio closing will be the next sell off :( Bang goes another piece of my childhood.

Many was the night I used to lay in bed with an earpiece in listening to Radio 1 or 2.

FM Radio closing will be the next sell off :( Bang goes another piece of my childhood.

Many was the night I used to lay in bed with an earpiece in listening to Radio 1 or 2.

OMG!! It was Radio Luxembourg on AM for me. FM didn't exist (for public broadcast at least).
A few years later we got Radio Caroline, etc, until eventually the gov't/BBC were forced to invent Radio 1, etc.

Funnily enough I used to listen to Luxemborg on my Grandad's Pye Q4 MW & LW radio.

Pye Q4.JPG

It was the only radio we had where the fade in & out was barely noticeable.

The pocket transistor I used was useless on AM.

OMG!! It was Radio Luxembourg on AM for me. FM didn't exist (for public broadcast at least).
A few years later we got Radio Caroline, etc, until eventually the gov't/BBC were forced to invent Radio 1, etc.

.....and Radio London - 'Big L' ! :)

You will be pleased to know that the official target for 2015 has been scrapped today.

Target for what? I heard about scrapping the move to digital radio, but are you saying the TV frequency move has been scrapped too?

Looking forward to receiving terrestrial on my 0.5Mbps "broadband" connection :/

My 44Mbps dips that low occasionally. It dipped to 1Mbps this morning. I did the bt wholesale speed test thing and it said I should change my username in the router to do further tests. I did that but the bl**dy BT servers would not run the tests! So, no official record of what happened, thanks a lot BT!

How did such an awful firm come to be privatized? Oh, hang on, ...

How did such an awful firm come to be privatized? Oh, hang on, ...

BT sent me an email saying my fault report had been closed but I could re-open it within 14 days. From an unmonitored email address. Without any explanation of how to access the fault or re-open it.

I installed their "Excellent BT Desktop Help" to see if that was any good, on Windows 8.1. This is what popped up:

Minimum specification

We have detected that you are using an operating system not currently supported by BT Desktop Help. The supported operating systems are :

• Windows XP SP1 or higher (32-bit)
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 8

BT are fairly well along with rolling out fibre multicast though.

Which, incidentally, leaves your internet connection open on port 1024 and a few others and thus (a) removes any stealthing a firewall might provide, and so (b) leaves your internet connection wide open to hackers, who now know there is a connection at your IP address. With this information they can safely attack your home network with the sure knowledge that it exists at that IP address.

Back