[new-portal] Custom Replacement for Humax TV Portal

4ndy

I have followed BH's guide to installing the beta package iplfix and all seems well. I then realised that I was using the stock portal which is very slow. I must have uninstalled the custom portal when it stopped working.

I recall that there were two, but the only one in the repo is new-portal. I can't remember if this was the first or second replacement portal. Anyway, when I try to install it I get this error:

Code:
>>> opkg install new-portal
Installing new-portal (1.01-1) to root...
Collected errors:
 * check_conflicts_for: The following packages conflict with new-portal:
 * check_conflicts_for:     portal-xtra1 *
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package new-portal.

Done.

Any ideas what is going wrong?

[edited first line to make more sense since splitting thread][/i]

Last edited:
I have followed BH's guide and all seems well.
This thread is now split from where it originated (not relevant to this subject). Readers wanting an intro should skip to THIS POST (click). Readers having difficulty installing new-portal due to remnants of previous portal packages, read on.

Anyway, when I try to install it I get this error:
It looks like you still have portal-xtra1 installed (which is not compatible with the updated browser in 1.03 firmware), or it has not been completely uninstalled. I expect there is an opgk incantation you can use to sort it out, but that's above my pay grade.

Last edited:
it looks like you still have portal-xtra1 installed (which is not compatible with the updated browser in 1.03 firmware), or it has not been completely uninstalled. I expect there is an opgk incantation you can use to sort it out, but that's above my pay grade.
I figured as much. I forgot to say, portal-xtra1 is not showing as installed on the packages page. I suspect it did not uninstall cleanly.

I have followed BH's guide and all seems well. I then realised that I was using the stock portal which is very slow. I must have uninstalled the custom portal when it stopped working.

I recall that there were two, but the only one in the repo is new-portal. I can't remember if this was the first or second replacement portal. Anyway, when I try to install it I get this error:

Code:
>>> opkg install new-portal
Installing new-portal (1.01-1) to root...
Collected errors:
* check_conflicts_for: The following packages conflict with new-portal:
* check_conflicts_for:     portal-xtra1 *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package new-portal.

Done.

Any ideas what is going wrong?
You could try
Code:
opkg remove portal-xtra1
you might need to specify the --force-depends option if it finds other dependencies

I haven't used the Portal in years but I wasn't aware that any of the portal packages improved the speed - I thought they were, largely unsuccessful, attempts to improve the function

You could try
Code:
opkg remove portal-xtra1
you might need to specify the --force-depends option if it finds other dependencies

I haven't used the Portal in years but I wasn't aware that any of the portal packages improved the speed - I thought they were, largely unsuccessful, attempts to improve the function
Thanks MymsMan. it doesn't seem to find anything to remove.

Code:
HDR2# opkg remove portal-xtra1                                                                                                                         
No packages removed.                                                                                                                                   
HDR2# opkg remove portal-xtra1--force-depends                                                                                                         
No packages removed.                                                                                                                                   
HDR2# opkg remove portal-xtra1 --force-depends                                                                                                         
No packages removed.                                                                                                                                   
HDR2#

Thanks MymsMan. it doesn't seem to find anything to remove.

Code:
HDR2# opkg remove portal-xtra1                                                                                                                        
No packages removed.                                                                                                                                  
HDR2# opkg remove portal-xtra1--force-depends                                                                                                        
No packages removed.                                                                                                                                  
HDR2# opkg remove portal-xtra1 --force-depends                                                                                                        
No packages removed.                                                                                                                                  
HDR2#
In that case you may be able to install new-portal using
Code:
opkg install new-portal --force-depends --force-overwrite

I wasn't aware that any of the portal packages improved the speed - I thought they were, largely unsuccessful, attempts to improve the function
They don't - but they provide short-cut access.
To expand on this:

The alternative portals over-wrote the home page URL for the built-in browser which starts up by pressing the TV Portal button. That meant we could substitute a local web page (with fast access) instead of the one served from a Humax server somewhere down the internet (subject to network, Internet, and server contention delays, and Humax outages).

The structure of the portal's replacement web page is limited by the interaction available with the handset input, but a simple menu is achievable, and the various portal spin-offs provided different implementations. Apart from not having access to full alphanumeric input, the other main limitation is finding web services compatible with delivering content to the HDR-FOX's browser. However, links can be ripped from the existing Humax portal, so the custom portals could go direct to (say) iPlayer instead of waiting to fire up the Humax portal and then select iPlayer.

For a while, there was a Sky Player link which somebody discovered as a pre-release service in development on the Humax portal (a Sky login was required to use it), and a means to view IPTV security cameras.

With standard firmware 1.03, the built-in browser was updated to Opera and the existing custom portal packages no longer worked. The new-portal package is for the Opera browser, but of course if any other portal package is installed there will be conflicts.

Prompted by this, I have reacquainted myself with new-portal, and thoroughly recommend it. Everything (or most things) from the existing Humax portal is ported across, and (like I said above) it cuts out the initial delay instead of loading up the normal portal implementation. It even includes picture-in-picture continuation of the live channel. Clever.

Reboot is required after installing the package from WebIF >> Package Management, and then pressing the TV Portal button gets you this (in moments instead of "ages"):

1614758029216.jpeg

Just in case you want it, the highlighted "Humax Portal" takes you to the standard Humax portal (as fall-back insurance).

I was at one time toying with my own custom portal, proving it's not difficult (once the framework has been established). The way to do this is to look at the files installed by the new-portal package, make backups, and tweak them. For example, I'm only interested in iPlayer and Internet Radio (and maybe not even iPlayer with my broadband and the availability of qtube), so a reduced menu with buttons "1" and "2", or maybe Red Green Yellow Blue, could do all I need.

There could be an argument for an alternative package which simply links straight to iPlayer, cutting out all the messing about in between, if the user is only interested in iPlayer (or in my case: straight to Internet Radio or even a selection of stations on Internet Radio).

Anyone interested in the nuts and bolts should read here: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/custom-portal-development.3979/

Last edited:
Hi,

Have returned to my trusty HDR-FOX T2 after becoming fed up with Virginmedia bills!

I'm trying to install the new-portal package (portal-xtra1 is not listed, nor can it seemingly be uninstalled using the posts above). I receive the below error and wondered if anyone can help?
1643798551921.png

Currently running:
Web interface version: 1.4.9
Custom firmware version: 3.13 (build 4028)
Humax Version: 1.02.32 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.13)

Any help greatly appreciated.

Have you attempted the command-line remedies given in posts 4 and 7 above?

You could try
Code:
opkg remove portal-xtra1
In that case you may be able to install new-portal using
Code:
opkg install new-portal --force-depends --force-overwrite

In case you don't know what the command line is: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/webshell-command-line-access-from-web-browser.6907/

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Yes tried the command lines in posts 4 & 7. Have noticed that my base firmware is on 1.02.32. Will upgrade to 1.03.13 and then reflash CFW 3.13. Will then attempt new portal install.

Have you actually tried reading the error message?
You know, the bit where it says 1.03.06 or later?

Oh yes! 1.02 firmware had a different browser, and that's why the older portal packages failed. new-portal is for the upgraded browser which came with 1.03.

Will upgrade to 1.03.13 and then reflash CFW 3.13.
Don't do that!
  1. The custom firmware has not needed a Humax installation first for a very long time, it contains everything you need out-of-the-box;
  2. There is no CF based on 1.03.13. You need 3.13/1.03.12, and to restore iPlayer (if you need to) install the iplfix package.

Don't do that!
  1. The custom firmware has not needed a Humax installation first for a very long time, it contains everything you need out-of-the-box;
  2. There is no CF based on 1.03.13. You need 3.13/1.03.12, and to restore iPlayer (if you need to) install the iplfix package.
Too late - already done it! Where can I get hold of 1.03.12?

Back