New Portal in development

My experience of domains is they are dirt cheap at first but then the price goes up steeply. I have had a few obscure ones like that and each time the provider tried to rip me off after 2 years. The purpose of one was merely to redirect mail, as at the time my real email address kept changing. That failed famously!

Oh, and one US provider set up a continuing payment agreement on my card and refused to cancel it. The only way open to me was to cancel my card at the bank and get them to issue another with a different number.

Yes, that was what I originally got my first domain for (forwarding email) and since then I started a blog site for my wife and needed hosting so I also host the email for the family on there now (IMAP to various devices). So far the prices have not gone up for the domains (in over 10 years) but the hosting has risen by about 10% over the same period.

Here's a dum or informed question. If new portal software ever gets shipped by Humax to the HDR-2000T box which we would be interested in like an ITV player and Humax offer a customer download page for 2000T software, may be this would be the route to port into the HDR ?. Possibly one for af123 other than that one suspects that we are waiting for someone with a lot of time or inspiration to get additional players on the box.

Here I'm assuming that Humax aren't going to give us any more portal upgrades but I suppose if they do, do a 1.03.xxx over the air that puts everybody with HDR boxes onto the new browser then they could add additional elements to the HDR portal if they feel fit although this could erode into the Youview product line functionality of support for catch up players.

The problem is that all the other broadcasters are shareholders in the YouView project, so its doubtful they will ever come to other terrestrial platforms of their own free will.

The last thread that looked at this is here and has ground to a halt..

Thanks. I remember that thread. I am hoping that someone will raise to the challenge if Humax aren't going to put other players onto their non YouView products which would / could be available to use. I think the HDR-2000T would be a candidate for Humax to put other portal apps on and is transferable (that was the question I was part seeking an answer to) or alternatively crystal ball gazing the expertise to customise YouView boxes may be gained at some future point in time by someone. Although as we know these have limitations.

As you probably know, neither the 2000T or the DTR-T1000/1010 have been modified to use Custom Firmware, it is unlikely the DTR-T1000/1010 will ever be suitable as firmware upgrades are installed in a different way and has a mix of Humax and YouView firmware. It is more likely that the 2000T may be modifyable to use Custom Firmware, but a downloadable firmware file is needed before work can start

I thought that was the case and the search for other portal players hasn't really advanced.

By any chance you haven't come across the equivalent BBC Bigscreen emulation for the 1.03.xx variation.

i.e. the equivalent of this one

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bigscreen/

Useful when you are trying to tell people the improvements of the BBC iplayer in 1.03.xx. I can't find an emulation for the latest player.

Hi folks, I would happily continue the development of the OnDemand players if I found a solution for playing the actual rtmpe streams from the Opera browser.

If I was able to somehow call rtmpdump and output onscreen or get the browser to play these streams then I would be back in business.. Currently though, either of these options are beyond my abilities...

I was hoping some of the more experienced Linux guys could figure this out, if at all possible..

Fingers crossed it can be, be a great addition to a nice little Freeview box!

Back