NEW PURCHASE WONT POWER UP

jackdaww

new box recently arrived.

connect up - switch on at wall and back - just dead.

would expect at least a light and/or fan/drive noise - but nothing.

fuse is ok. wall plug is ok .

i think its faulty but before sending it back - am i missing something?

does the wizard have to be run before signs of life?

many thanks for any thoughts.

thanks martin - i'm sure its dead but quite unusual - i've bought loads of stuff over the years and this is the first complete dud.
will return to amazon .

It should definitely DO SOMETHING rather than DO NOTHING. At the very least there would be an amber glow around the front panel pad inviting you to press it.

thanks martin - i'm sure its dead but quite unusual - i've bought loads of stuff over the years and this is the first complete dud.
Looking back over the years at all the electronic things I have purchased (which is quite a lot) I have had a small number of duds, mostly hard drives. In your case I would guess it is probably nothing worse than a badly fitted internal connector has come off but no point messing about and potentially voiding your warranty. The problem is not commonly reported with the HDR so I think you have been unlucky. I hope you get a speedy replacement.

martin

yes , amazon have been in touch re replacement - they are usually very good at this - but i think the xmas rush may put a spanner in the works.

as an ex techie/radio ham i would have been happy to have a look - but its not a good idea nowadays - and dont want to fall foul of amazons excellent returns system.

thanks again.

My dad had exactly the same problem a week or so ago a T2 ordered from TVaerials.com. i'd had one form them a few months earlier which was fine.

The flippant remark is to say "end user testing", which is the policy of eliminating the test budget by leaving things untested until they reach the consumer (who then takes it back for a replacement if it doesn't work). I find it hard to believe Humax would do such a thing though; it is only viable if the item is very simple and therefore has a very small rate of failure, and the potential for loss of reputation is significant.

Besides, unless the hard drive is prep'ed before assembly there is a setting up process to go through, and I would expect bringing a completed unit to power-up and then running the format routines would form at least part of the production test.

thanks to all who have helped on this.

amazon have just despatched my replacement first class delivery.

i will say that i bought humax again because this forum existed.

otherwise i may have gone elsewhere as i have found the service from the humax team to be poor.

they are still putting out ota updates for the 9200t which date back to march 2010 i think - v 1.00.23

i'm also impressed with the the giffgaff mobile network community forum - perhaps its the shape of things to come.

Official and unofficial enthusiast communities take a lot of load off the customer support departments, and also means they don't have to provide so much support! Customer support at its best would never be able to compete, so it's a win-win really.

replacement box came next day - usual amazon service.

this one works !!

mixed feelings so far - some good - some puzzles - instruction manual is poor - eg what is a folder?

will raise issues later.

many thanks all helpers.

Folder is the Windows term for a directory in the file system. Even I, a dyed-in-the-wool DOS user, have succumbed to calling directories "folders" so as not to confuse anybody with computer experience that only dates to Win98 and later.

If you use the "media" button on your handset, you can organise your recordings into folders, and series recordings are made into automatically-created folders already.

i was puzzled by the media video list of recorded programs - seems to be in random sequence rather than date/time on the 9200t.
then there is this "upper folder" of which i can find no reference in the manual- so dont know its purpose.
i have created some new folders and can presumeably sort int date/time within those.
i do like the guide "keyword" feature - pity there are only six slots.

looking forward to a steep learning curve.

thanks again

Clicking the "upper folder" is a means to navigate to the next level up in the directory structure (same as pressing "back" if you have progressed down the structure). I'm not sure I've ever done more than glance through the manual, it all seems pretty intuitive to me - perhaps this is a lesson in not taking anything for granted.

The media list is organised into: alphabetical list of folders, and then non-series recordings newest first. In a series folder the recordings are organised newest first. I think if you rearrange things the order might get mixed up, but after a while the database sorts itself out and the order is restored.

yes -

upper folder appears to have no point or neccessary function except to confuse tidy minded who need to understand it all. (intuition is great if you've got it!)

will move on to the joys of moving data between humax and pc via usb sticks.

hoping i can get .ts files off my 9200t and onto the foxt2.

i will search through the index of info first though.

Clicking the "upper folder" is a means to navigate to the next level up in the directory structure (same as pressing "back" if you have progressed down the structure).

.. or left arrow, which I find more intuitive but didn't find for some time!

As is frequently the case, many ways to do the same job - use the one most convenient to you. I mainly use the left cursor as well - I'm using the cursor pad to move around anyway.

Back