New Purchases - Humax HDR-FOX T2 1TB + Query!

Zodiac

Hi Guys,

Had a busy week on the Humax front! Bought 2 new Humax machines this week, well it was actually last week but just got them functioning this week. I bought a Humax Humax HDR-FOX T2 1TB which I got for £35. I could have made an offer but why wait and lose out on what I figure was a pretty good price already! I also purchased a Humax HD-Fox T2 which had hardly been used and was in someone's cinema room. I could tell that it was in Near New condition from the photos of it and the fact it still had the plastic cover on the front of the machine which is something I have left on with my other Humax machines.
Also, you can usually tell from the state of the Remote Control if it's in good condition or has been used much, if it has grubby marks or fingerprints - Sometimes you have to be a bit of a Columbo and look for the clues :cool: when purchasing Humax machines or indeed any other Used Electrical Equipment! ;)

I bagged this for £17. I'm not sure what you all think but I thought these prices were pretty good. Anyway, as they often used to say to Columbo: "Can, you get to the point!" Well, my query is would there be any advantage to doing a Factory Reset to the Humax HDR-FOX T2 1TB?

There is nothing on the Drive of course but it says available space about 850GB. I realize it's not going to say 1TB but I thought it would perhaps have been more than this, say about just over 900GB maybe? Can any of you remember how much space you first started off with and would a Factory Reset increase or anything else this amount?

Thanks. :)

Can, you get to the point!
Yes please!

would there be any advantage to doing a Factory Reset to the Humax HDR-FOX T2 1TB?
On an empty fresh HDR-FOX, what have you got to lose by doing a factory reset? It sounds like the seller has done one, but I would as a matter of course.

Pinned at the top of this section of the forum: HDR-FOX Hardware: Commissioning, Disassembly, Repair (the operative word being "commissioning").

it still had the plastic cover on the front of the machine which is something I have left on with my other Humax machines.
Why? Do you expect to sell them on?

An elderly friend had covers on the seats of her car from new. I asked why, and apparently it was to keep them like new... but what is the point of selling the joy of new seats onto the next owner (if there is one) instead of enjoying that yourself?

As it happens, one of mine still has the plastic on it, but that's just laziness and I'll probably take it off now I've said it.

There is nothing on the Drive of course but it says available space about 850GB. I realize it's not going to say 1TB but I thought it would perhaps have been more than this, say about just over 900GB maybe? Can any of you remember how much space you first started off with and would a Factory Reset increase or anything else this amount?
850GB does seem extreme on the face of it although I think we've had this kind of enquiry before and decided it was OK. For one thing, drives are sold on the basis that 1TB = 10^12 Bytes whereas everyone else measures it as 1TiB = 2^40 – see (click through):
KiB, MiB, GiB
The traditional units for counting bytes of storage can result in confusion...
The difference between 1TB and 1TiB is about 10%, and although it says "GB" on-screen, it actually means "GiB" (the "i" has never really made it to main-stream, so you have to guess from context).

The next factor is the reserved space: IIRC the partition used for timeshift is 20GB. So we're getting close to your 850GB figure. Examining the disk structure would reveal all (which you can, using the custom firmware).

I'm not sure what you all think but I thought these prices were pretty good.
Anything under £50 is good, £17 is exceptional,

a Humax HD-Fox T2 which had hardly been used and was in someone's cinema room. I could tell that it was in Near New condition from the photos of it and the fact it still had the plastic cover on the front of the machine
Mine had the DSO sticker on it too, so had obviously been provided to someone for free and they didn't much use it.
I bagged this for £17.
I think mine was £15 (£16 actually, as it turns out), and that was a few years ago, which I thought a real winner as others were going for roughly double at the time.
would a Factory Reset increase or anything else this amount?
No. But you should do it anyway, and select the disk format option, which will reset everything on the disk.
mine still has the plastic on it,
Mine too.
but that's just laziness and I'll probably take it off now I've said it.
Should I, or shouldn't I? That is the question.

Last edited:
Mine is as pristine as the day I received it but the remote looks like it has been through 2 world wars, does anyone fondle their T2 enough to warrant keeping the plastic on?

If I do a Factory Reset does an and select the disk format option, does it mean I have to do a search for all the updates that have happened from when the Humax box was issued? Or will it be automatic or at 4.30 am or whenever it is?

If I do a Factory Reset does an and select the disk format option, does it mean I have to do a search for all the updates that have happened from when the Humax box was issued?
No, the Humax firmware is stored on the motherboard so formatting the hard drive doesn't touch it.

If I do a Factory Reset does an and select the disk format option, does it mean I have to do a search for all the updates that have happened from when the Humax box was issued?
No. The currently installed software will remain unaltered.

The "Factory Reset" does not revert the HDR-FOX T2 to the factory state. What it tries to do is reset any settings to the current software's default settings.

The option would have need better described as something like "Default settings".

Last edited:
Is there anything else I can do to get more than 850GB out of the machine? Should I even consider returning item because of this? Thanks.

Is there anything else I can do to get more than 850GB out of the machine?
From your description you are getting 850 GiB of recording space, not 850 GB. You are already getting more than 850GB.
Should I even consider returning item because of this?
Not if your reason for retuning is your miss-understanding of how GB and GiB space is commonly reported.
The Humax disk storage screen has a mix of figures that are either GB or GiB. It then adjusts the "reserved " space so that the figures add up to 1000. This makes the overall percentage of reserved space look a lot worse than it really is.

Last edited:
The Humax disk storage screen has a mix of figures that are either GB or GiB. It then adjusts the "reserved " space so that the figures add up to 1000.
That was the detail I couldn't recall.

Is there anything else I can do to get more than 850GB out of the machine?
I thought I explained well enough that "850GB" is not unreasonable.
Should I even consider returning item because of this?
Definitely not!

The "Factory Reset" does not revert the HDR-FOX T2 to the factory state.
I prefer to call it "Restore Factory Defaults", I know that's not what it says on the menu system. As stated, it does not revert firmware updates (and it's hard to think how that would be possible).

From your description you are getting 850 GiB of recording space, not 850 GB. You are already getting more than 850GB.

Not if your reason for retuning is your miss-understanding of how GB and GiB space is commonly reported.
The Humax disk storage screen has a mix of figures that are either GB or GiB. It then adjusts the "reserved " space so that the figures add up to 1000. This makes the overall percentage of reserved space look a lot worse than it really is.
Thanx. It doesn't say 850GiB though it says 850GB.

That was the detail I couldn't recall.

I thought I explained well enough that "850GB" is not unreasonable.

Definitely not!

I prefer to call it "Restore Factory Defaults", I know that's not what it says on the menu system. As stated, it does not revert firmware updates (and it's hard to think how that would be possible).
You did explain it well enough I was just curious about others opinions and experiences.
Can, you get to the point!
Yes please!

I hope you found my little Columbo analogy amusing. I have to say Black Hole you don't pull your punches with your comments do you?!?! ;) Although, I did find it funny and it made my fiancee laugh when I told her what you said.

OK. So what's next? I know Factory Reset then install the latest custom firmware. 💻Heck, this should be fun...! ;)

If 850 GiB/GB is not sufficient for your needs it is quite trivial to switch the disk for a larger capacity one - with customized firmware the sky is the limit, or to move some recordings onto external, possibly NAS, storage.

Trying to recover some of the "missing" reserved space is only going to free up enough space for a few extra recordings (even if it is possible),

Personally I only have a 512GB disk which the webif reports as usable capacity 447.6 GiB with 148.3 GiB in use (33%) though I do have some additional recordings on NAS.

There are only a certain number of hours a day for telly watching - when will you get to watch all the extra programmes that you could record with al larger disk!

If 850 GiB/GB is not sufficient for your needs it is quite trivial to switch the disk for a larger capacity one - with customized firmware the sky is the limit, or to move some recordings onto external, possibly NAS, storage.

Trying to recover some of the "missing" reserved space is only going to free up enough space for a few extra recordings (even if it is possible),

Personally I only have a 512GB disk which the webif reports as usable capacity 447.6 GiB with 148.3 GiB in use (33%) though I do have some additional recordings on NAS.

There are only a certain number of hours a day for telly watching - when will you get to watch all the extra programmes that you could record with al larger disk!
I think he intends using it to store a large amount of HD music so would not be deleting after viewing. Your suggestion of fitting a larger disk rather than worrying about getting a few extra GB would make much more sense for him to do.

Back