New refurb unit - noise!

El Shiftos

I received a 500GB T2 from Humax direct last week, and while I was more than pleased with the low noise levels out of the box, a couple of things have changed my opinion and I will be returning it next week.
Firstly - the hard drive was inaudible for the first couple of hours of use, but then I noticed a constant 'swishy' bearing-type noise coming from the unit when the drive spins up. It's not that loud but I've not heard this noise coming from other 500GB units, so I'm slightly concerned the drive may be sub-par.
I've put an mp3 of the clip here. The first couple of seconds are the noise floor after which the drive spins up with accompanying noise. Oh, and before you say it, no, the fan wasn't running when I recorded this! :)

Eek, can't post links yet!

Secondly - the beeping fan! When the unit is on an open shelf under the TV with plenty of air to breathe, the fan runs for 15 minutes in every hour. I tried putting the unit on the floor away from other devices and this reduced the number of times the fan spins up, but it still runs for 15 minutes every time.

Cheers!

Not sure about the fan 'beeping', but fan noise can be reduced with the Custom Firmware package. The fan has 3 speeds (4 if you include off) and it always comes on at the highest speed, followed by a middle and low speed before stopping, the 'Fan' package will replace the 'off' speed with a selectable % on speed that will avoid the fan ever going into the top speed and producing the loudest noise

BH you suspect right!

I purchased it with a view to putting CF on straight away, but it came with 1.03.11 and from the information on this site there doesn't appear to be a way of restoring this version if it needs to be returned under warranty.

I know two other people who have the HDR and I've never heard the fan spinning up on either of their units.

I purchased it with a view to putting CF on straight away, but it came with 1.03.11 and from the information on this site there doesn't appear to be a way of restoring this version if it needs to be returned under warranty.
The convenient recent OTA to 1.03.12 provides a loophole if necessary.

Update:
In addition to the aforementioned issues, the network socket was faulty and would lose connection when the cable was wiggled. This happened with 3 known good cables.
I have since received a warranty replacement from Humax Direct and I'm pleased to report that most of the issues have been resolved.
-Fan cycles on/off as before but less regularly and is quieter so less intrusive
-Bearing noise from HDD is less than before
-Network socket works fine
-Protective film fitted to lid and front, also lid doesn't have a slight dent like the first unit - bonus!

As I'm a tear it apart type of guy, I heat-gunned the Void label off and had a poke around inside. Although the label came off quite easily, it left behind a couple of silver flecks on the base which may be noticeable if it ever needs to be returned under warranty - be warned!
I'm eying up the 4-pin molex power connector with a view to running the fan off of a fixed 5 or 7 volts, providing it's quiet and gives adequate cooling. Results to follow :)

Cheers all

Install the Custom Firmware and the Fan package, you can set the fan speed to any of 255 speeds, 0 to 100 via the Web-If

Picky. I think the gist of it is that it's variable, and thus more flexible, not a constant 5 or 7 volts DC as the OP appears to want to do. And as zero is off, you can only set it to 100 speeds.

And as zero is off, you can only set it to 100 speeds.
Zero speed is still a speed. It is 101 speeds as I originally stated.
As I stated 0 - 100 via the web-if, however there are 000 to 255 values possible, the web-if translates a percentage figure into a 00 - ff hex value
You said you could set it to "any of 255", which is patently not the case when you are using integer percentage values.

So what you're really saying is you agree I'm right and you're wrong but don't want to admit it. Truth hurts, don't it?

Why don't YOU practise what you preach and shut up then? You didn't need to comment here, so why bother?

Frankly, I despise people like you and (hypocrite) Raydon and I've been ignoring the thread. But I don't see why YOU should be allowed to get away with petty insults. It is however very dull for everyone else to read, but as you keep persisting with this sh1t then I don't see why I shouldn't defend myself. Let's see the mods. take action against you.

Back