New Time Shift Recording Function - When?

S

small_pif

Hi all,

Anybody have any idea when we will finally get the time shift recording function that was mentioned last September on pvrjunction:

http://www.pvrjunction.co.uk/new-software-updates-for-humax-foxsat-hdr-and-humax-hdr-fox/

I keep checking the Humax update site but nothing there at the moment. For me this restriction of not being able to start recording anything in the buffer is a real annoyance because it is a feature I am so used to on the Tivo which enables me to record 40 minutes before the current time providing the channel has not been changed.

I've also noticed that the timeshift buffer gets 'trashed' if a new recording starts while a programme is paused. Fell into this trap over Christmas. It would be good to see these foibles removed but otherwise the Humax is an excellent piece of kit.

Humax reported a few teething problems so they are sorting them out. No date as yet. The time shift buffer is a fixed length file called 0.ts which you can't see in media list but you can if you use either ftp or read the disc directly. The buffers not actually trashed it just gets overwritten from the beginning again.

As an experiment I set up recordings from BBC-HD, BBC1-HD and a watch reservation on ITV1-HD. After recording finished I transferred the 0.ts file to my laptop and was able to recover the ITV1-HD recording. Thus effectively recording 3 at the same time :). Currently the time shift buffer is not encrypted whether this will change with the new firmware is anyones guess. :confused:

Maybe I missed the question here - & I had plenty of vino with my sunday lunch ;) - but I thought that you can record the buffer by just rewinding to the start of the buffer, or wherever you want, and hitting record .

Maybe I missed the question here - & I had plenty of vino with my sunday lunch ;) - but I thought that you can record the buffer by just rewinding to the start of the buffer, or wherever you want, and hitting record .

You can't on a Foxsat-hdr, the expected firmware upgrade is supposed to rectify this and also fix the power cut bug that stops ongoing scheduled recordings if power is lost when the hdr is in sby. You have to manually boot following a power cut to restore scheduled recording.

Thanks for the reply Graham and the details of the o.ts file. I hope this upgrade makes its way out soon.

Very, very peeved this isn't available. I could do this on my old 9200T and it's rather galling to have just paid out over £400 for the Foxsat and its installation, and then not to be able to save the rewind buffer.

Very, very peeved this isn't available. I could do this on my old 9200T and it's rather galling to have just paid out over £400 for the Foxsat and its installation, and then not to be able to save the rewind buffer.

Old thread - the lack of this is most likely due to the complications of having to encrypt the timeshift buffer for Hd channels as this is recorded without encryption. Using Raydons modified firmware you can ftp the unencrypted 0.ts file to a PC which will do what you want to do. Easiest advice is record everything you fancy, it's easy to delete stuff you don't want when you start to watch it.

Afaik the only HD Freesat+ pvrs that do buffer record don't do usb archiving.

Back