New to Humax, recording question.

Voyager03

Hi, late to the party but ye olde TiVo was getting beyond the pale so have got us an HDR-FOX T2. And dead good it is too. This forum looks very useful and I have read the excellent pinned threads for new users at the top but have a question I don't see the answer to.

I'd like to record one instance of a repeated programme say, Channel 4 News (at 7pm most days) but do not need to have a folder filled with versions of the news going back for a couple of weeks when we go away (or are too lazy to delete!). Is there a way of only keeping one instance of a programme, so that when the next one records the previous one is deleted like the TiVo did?

(Updated) If you go with the custom firmware there is an auto-expire option that can be applied as a property to specific folders, with a selectable expiry time. I use it for news bulletins with 4 days expiry.

If you go with the custom firmware there is an auto-expire option. I use it for news bulletins too.
Thanks, I have not looked at that option (yet) only had the thing for 2 days! Not sure I want to go delving into the firmware just yet! Still, 500Gb of space is a lot more than I am used to and it will not be the end of the world if it fills up a bit, delete is only a couple of button presses away!

The non-custom alternative is to use Auto Delete, which indiscriminately deletes the oldest recordings... but I'm not aware of anyone who actually uses it!

Menu >> Settings >> Preferences >> Recording >> Auto Delete

The non-custom alternative is to use Auto Delete, which indiscriminately deletes the oldest recordings... but I'm not aware of anyone who actually uses it!

Menu >> Settings >> Preferences >> Recording >> Auto Delete
Is that in each 'folder' or the oldest recording?

It is a bit of an odd option (and not one I had spotted in the manual) if it does the oldest no matter what.

The Auto Delete function is not mentioned in the manual, it was added in a firmware update in Feb 2011.
The following is taken from the release notes.

- Auto Delete function - oldest files will be removed; Lock files so they are not Auto Deleted.
- Auto Delete is switched OFF as Default
- To enable Auto Delete go to Menu > Preferences > Recording > Auto Delete

Back