New version of software to fix iPlayer problem

I am having trouble installing this on my parents HD Fox T2. I have tried 3 different USB sticks, including one that I've used many times over the years for updating HDR Fox T2s and I think this HD Fox T2. I have ensured the filename is correct and it is in the root of a FAT32 USB stick. I have tried both from power on and coming out of Standby. I have re-read the Humax instructions on the web page and I'm doing it correctly. Any ideas?

Any ideas?
What is actually happening - normal boot with no attempt to read the update file? If so, the only impediments can be that the HD-FOX can't see the UPD at boot or can't see the .hdf on it. The former could be if the UPD is slow to start up from power-up, which could be the case if you are performing a power-up restart. Also...
I have re-read the Humax instructions on the web page and I'm doing it correctly.
Why would you trust them? The update process is slightly different for an HD-FOX than an HDR-FOX, and you are more likley to get the right info here than from Humax (I've not bothered to check what Humax says about it*):
1. Get a USB stick (formatted FAT32), unzip the download and put the "hd_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf" file on the stick in the root directory.

2. Put the HD-FOX into stand-by, plug in the stick, then press and hold the stand-by button (on the box) until the TV screen shows the firmware update screen and "downloading in progress" (or words to that effect). You can then let go of the button.

3. After a short time the screen will change to "programming". There will be a few stops and starts, don't panic. Eventually it will ask you to press the stand-by button again to reboot.
Note the "press and hold". I think it might also work (and be easier - but I've not tested this) by holding the standby button and simultaneously press and release the reset tit (under the flap) - no need for standby.

If you are doing that and still don't get the firmware update screen, you have to suspect the UPD. Try force-formatting it FAT16.

* Update: I've now checked the Humax update instructions as published on the firmware download web page, and they're incorrect.

Yes it's the "Press and Hold" that makes the firmware update work in HD Fox T2 (found that out before I read your reply), and that is missing from the Humax instructions. They also say you can use either the front or rear USB socket, which is wrong since the HD Fox T2 doesn't have a front USB socket.

iPlayer now works. But the box has gained significant reception and lip sync issues, so I'd recommend people avoid this update for HD Fox T2 unless they are desparate for iPlayer to work. If it stays like this (I'll check over a few days reception) I'll be downgrading to the previous Humax firmware version.

Has anyone put this update on their HD Fox T2 and does not have reception and lip sync issues? The problems seem worse on HD channels.

I agree with the scepticism about the update causing reception issues. However I have never seen this box play BBC2 HD and ITV1 HD with lip sync a couple of seconds out from the video before.

Like I said I will be trying it over the course of a few days to see how things go.

lip sync a couple of seconds out
That long? Unlikely!

I frequently have lip-sync problems which get cured by re-syncing the HDMI (reboot the TV, or switch it to a different source and back again). I take these to be a problem with the TV rather than the HDR (but not proven).

Last edited:
That long? Unlikely!

I frequently have lip-sync problems which get cured by re-syncing the HDMI (reboot the TV, or switch it to a different source and back again). I take these to be a problem with the TV rather than the HDR (but not proven).

Lip sync is fine on BBC1 HD so hard to see how it can be the TV, or indeed reception given it is on the same mux as BBC2 HD. What happens is on changing channel either the picture comes first and there's no sound for a second or two, or vice versa, and when the other half of the picture/sound combination appears the sync is out by however long it took for the channel change to sort itself out.

Have you tried doing what I suggested?
I have rebooted the box, and power cycled both the HD Fox T2 and TV, multiple times. Problem persists, or at least it did this afternoon immediately after upgrading the HD Fox T2 firmware. It's in my parents' bedroom, so I get shooed out at various times even when they are simultaneously complaining it doesn't work (don't ask for logical behaviour from supported users).

Try

(even a non-existent source)

It's clearly not an HDMI lip sync problem. It is associated with the HD Fox T2 struggling to tune to BBC2 HD and ITV1 HD, either the sound appears long before (a second or two) the audio or vice versa. And when the other one finally starts, the time lag between the two is equal to how long it took the second one (sound or audio) to start. It can't be the HDMI or the signal because BBC1 HD, C4 HD and 5HD on the same mux are all fine. Switch to one of those, tunes fine, back to BBC2 HD or ITV1 HD, problem recurs. It's like there is something in the bitstream of those specific channels that the new firmware does not like. Yes this sounds bizarre, I can only relay the symptoms I saw.

I've finally had time to get back to this. Over the last several weeks the terrible lip sync issue on the bedroom HD Fox T2 has remained. Today I downgraded it back to the previous firmware from 2014 (1.03.02 I believe) and the problem immediately went away. It is absolutely a chalk and cheese difference.

I can only conclude that Humax have in some way broken the firmware on the HD Fox T2 as part of the iPlayer fix. I recommend people avoid it on the HD Fox T2 if they use it for anything other than iPlayer.

This also makes me very wary of the equivalent firmware on the HDR Fox T2. How Humax can have tested this and not noticed the problem is beyond me.

1.03.02 is the latest version prior to the recent fix. I haven't installed the new one, but just to check I will...

There's a difference in behaviour when changing channels, at least to BBC1/2 HD, ITV HD and C4 HD. With 1.03.02 you get a brief (tenth of a second?) burst of the new audio and video, then silence and black screen, then half a second or so later the audio and video come back and are in sync.

With 1.03.03 the initial brief burst of audio and video are absent, the silence and black screen are longer, and then one of the audio or video starts without the other, a bit more delay and the other one starts, and they remain out of sync by the time difference it took them to start (as close as I can tell visually/audibly).

when changing channels, at least to BBC1/2 HD, ITV HD and C4 HD. With 1.03.02 you get a brief (tenth of a second?) burst of the new audio and video, then silence and black screen, then half a second or so later the audio and video come back and are in sync.
I don't get that on 1.03.02 (LG 32LD590 TV). When I change channel to any of those listed (particularly from the same mux) I get sound almost instantly (with black screen except for the I-plate overlay) followed by vision about 3 seconds later, with no stutters.

(Christ, they've gone back to downloads as raw unzipped .hdf files! :rolleyes: )

With 1.03.03 the initial brief burst of audio and video are absent, the silence and black screen are longer, and then one of the audio or video starts without the other, a bit more delay and the other one starts, and they remain out of sync by the time difference it took them to start (as close as I can tell visually/audibly).
I agree with you (near enough). I think the loader much have changed, even though the version number hasn't been updated. There was an extra stage of programming after the manual restart, and then it restarted itself - that is not usual AFAICR.

Something has definitely changed, and it's not good. Has anyone tried the HDR-FOX 1.03.13 (few people here will have bothered because of CF)?

Back