Newb. What do I do?

My Humax said 65 and achieved less than a tenth of that in practice!

I'd start with adaptors for router and Humax only. However, before spending any more money I'd be inclined to plug TV and Humax in close to the router and see if that works, and if that doesn't try connecting with ethernet cable. And there are other options for strengthening wi-fi which you can google for.

I suppose the next step would be to use TP-link powerline adaptors. So would I need 3? One for the router, one for the Humax, and one for the PC?
You can mix and match. My network is a mix of direct cabled where possible, powerline adaptors and WiFi. So as a minimum you would need two; one for the router and one for the Humax. Whether you need one for the PC depends entirely on the current speed of its WiFi connection.

I use HomePlug for networking between the router and anything that is pretty much fixed in place - I recommend it as the best alternative when wired Ethernet is not practical. WiFi is most useful for items that are truly mobile, but as most broadband-enabled homes have WiFi it is now the default option for network-connectable consumer devices (eg printers).

Do the powerline adaptors work OK through extension leeds? I don't have any spare wall plugs near my kit.
Anyway I think I will give up. This morning, although the Humax is on the wifi fine it cannot find the Serviio server. It just says connecting and then no server found. I have tried restarting the PC and restarting the Humax. Opening the Serviio Console and forcing a library refresh all to no avail. The whole thing just seems too flaky.

Best not to have them on extensions, the data rate will drop. I recommend "pass through" HomePlugs so that the unit plugs in at the wall and then whatever was connected to that wall socket then plugs into the HomePlug.

OK thanks.
Turns out Serviio had just stopped working. Uninstall and reinstall and we off again. Don't want to do that every day!

Back