Newbie Data Backup question

daibonehead

Hi,

A mate of mine has 2 Fox-HDR T2 units. He wants to copy content from one to another - both SD and HD. I know nothing about these units at all so I would like some advice.

Can anyone suggest the best way to copy the content from one to another? If it was unencrypted data then I would probably use a Linux Live USB and copy from one drive to another. But is there a smarter way of doing things? And what about encryption? Will it stop me from playing the content once it has been copied?

Thanks in advance.

This thread was started in the HD-FOX T2 section. I have moved it here as it clearly relates to the HDR and I am pretty sure the solution will involve the Custom Formware.

A mate of mine has 2 Fox-HDR T2 units. He wants to copy content from one to another - both SD and HD. I know nothing about these units at all so I would like some advice.

This is very possible but the fundamental thing you need to know is that all content is by default encrypted and will only play on the unit it was recorded on. Humax provide capability to remove encryption on SD recordings but you will almost certainly find the more elegant methods of removing encryption and enhancing the networking capabilities provided by the Custom Firmware useful. Somebody with more direct experience of doing what you want will I am sure answer before long.

If you don't want to install the Custom firmware there is a way to decrypt Hi-Def content using Foxy Details HERE, Standard Def. content will be decrypted by copying it to a USB drive plugged into the Humax

Thanks Ezra. I had a feeling that encryption would be an issue. I assumed that copying HD data from one disk to another would not play in the 2nd unit. The reason for copying is that the 1st unit is having power issues. My mate is going to see if he can get it repaired.

If it was my box I would investigate further, but I don't have the time to look into it further for him at the moment. Nevertheless, thanks for the quick response - really appreciated.

Yes, the encryption/decryption process is different for every Humax box so the content must be decrypted by the original, the foxy process just sets a flag on one of the files to fool the Humax into treating it as a Standard Def. file, so that when it is copied to a USB drive, the file will be decrypted the same as a real SD file would

Can anyone suggest the best way to copy the content from one to another? If it was unencrypted data then I would probably use a Linux Live USB and copy from one drive to another. But is there a smarter way of doing things? And what about encryption? Will it stop me from playing the content once it has been copied?
What you need to know is explained in Things Every... (click) section 5.

the encryption/decryption process is different for every Humax box
The process is the same... it's only the keys that are different.

Thanks Ezra. I had a feeling that encryption would be an issue. I assumed that copying HD data from one disk to another would not play in the 2nd unit. The reason for copying is that the 1st unit is having power issues. My mate is going to see if he can get it repaired.

If it was my box I would investigate further, but I don't have the time to look into it further for him at the moment. Nevertheless, thanks for the quick response - really appreciated.

Perhaps you should point your friend to these forums as I am sure they will help him get even greater benefits from his Hummys. It has certainly opened my eyes to what the box can do with the custom software installed. ;)

Back