Newbie getting used to HDR-FOX T2 - Thanks for the great Mod! A few Q's...

Slight lag in me replying sorry mate, when you've already answered it for me!! Thanks for your help!

Files downloaded through Opt+ arrive and play perfectly now! (Take a lot longer to download than the same size files that wouldn't play though)

BenB - out of interest (this isn't a nag, more like a piece of sociology research), did you read the NEW READERS START HERE topic at the top of the forum list?

If the answer is "no", clearly we have to try something different.

If the answer is "yes", clearly we have to try something different.

Either way it is failing to communicate what it is intended to communicate. Maybe it's just that people want to dive in and fly the plane without checking what the controls do - again, not a gripe, trying to get the measure of human nature. Systems should be fitted to the people who use them, not try to fit the people to the systems ('cos that don't work).

I must admit I am guilty as charged on that one. Only pick up the manual if I can't get it to work. Think it's in the male genes. :)

Either way it is failing to communicate what it is intended to communicate. Maybe it's just that people want to dive in and fly the plane without checking what the controls do - again, not a gripe, trying to get the measure of human nature. Systems should be fitted to the people who use them, not try to fit the people to the systems ('cos that don't work).
Kettle, pot! ;)

I read the initial page, then skimmed through the list of informative threads to the points I was looking for when first installing the mod. (Before I even owned the T2!) Understanding the 'AR v Padding' theory, how to install the firmware etc.
But I must admit I never returned to it since playing with the T2. It's only now I look over it again I see answers like 'how to record from the buffer' that I look a bit silly for asking all over again!!

Fair enough. I guess we'll always have to have "meeters and greeters" putting on a smile (not my strong point) and pointing newcomers in the right direction (just walk into any bank or building society these days to see what I mean).

One bright side is that although the forum threads temporarily get cluttered up with fluff, it doesn't take long for any topic that lacks significant material content to sink down the listing.

Information Desk Head Operative

Who actually wrote/writes these mods? I saw your guide Black Hole - is it down to you? It's a very very clever system! Just signed up for the remote scheduling too, astounding work!!
It's a shame the scheduled events need a reset to added to the T2's schedule - I take it this is a more full-on reset than the usual - can I reset it if I know my machine is currently recording? Or do I need to wait until my machine is idle?

Also, can I copy other video files (a TV Series I have as avi's) on to the T2 via the ftp so they'll appear among the recordings? Will it appear alongside recordings even though they are avi files.

Who actually wrote/writes these mods? I saw your guide Black Hole - is it down to you?
Flattery will get you everywhere. No, I have a talent for writing so I'm self-appointed documentation geek (although the Wiki is developing without my help [and possibly because of it] - I am spread too thin). For credits look up "BYT" in the Glossary.

It's a shame the scheduled events need a reset to added to the T2's schedule - I take it this is a more full-on reset than the usual - can I reset it if I know my machine is currently recording? Or do I need to wait until my machine is idle?
It needs a reset because any attempt to fiddle with the database gets rejected by the standard firmware if the firmware is running - resetting is a trick which disables the "immune system" immediately after the database has been updated by us, and once booted again the changes are accepted as native. No, you can't reboot it while recording or if a recording is imminent, but the database changes are queued up and only applied just before you reboot (I think). If Humax had implemented their immune system more effectively we wouldn't have a way in at all.

Also, can I copy other video files (a TV Series I have as avi's) on to the T2 via the ftp so they'll appear among the recordings? Will it appear alongside recordings even though they are avi files.
It depends what codecs are actually used in the avi files. You can FTP them into "/mnt/hd2/My Video" and try it. If you try to access the My Video folder via /media you will probably crash the FTP session.

Have a read of http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Remote_Scheduling for more details. Unless you're trying to schedule something which is going to happen very soon, I'd just leave the box to do normal wake-up/sleep cycles of its own accord, and things will move into the record list. From the wiki page:

"All boxes have an auto update task at 4:30 am every morning so at worst case they wake up every morning and any Pending Items already on the box will become active."

Yes. Some people have had problems with some avi files but every one I've tried has worked. The problem is that AVI is just a container which can hold a range of different things.

Back