Newbie query over customizable features

stuartdb

Hi,
I am officially new here but have been skulking around on and off for some time, you are doing a great job with the support and custom projects.

I have browsed a bit of the customized features for the fox t2 you have managed to complete, and I have a query over a possible tweak / override.

A while ago I emailed humax regarding an option to skip the ad breaks in either the recording or replaying of itv etc, they said they know how to do it but it is against the law.

If this is a custom application outside of humax's responsibility is this something that could be altered with the application code available?

Just a musing...

What I would readily find useful would be to play "artists" youtube videos as you do on a pc and include the other players eg 4od and itvplayer.

Also the DNLA server on my pc only has a few compatible file types for the humax, but the LG blu-ray player seems to play all of them.

I am hopefully going to get foxsat hd in a few days for our den, at least to see whether the old sat dish and lnb's are connected and pointing in the right direction still. But the fox-t2 has a great epg, the best from all the freeview boxes and sky sat I have had - I think I will get a loft arial soon as the settop arial always fails just before doctor who.

Great Forum.

Stuart

I don't think the Custom Firmware will be able to 'skip-ads' and can only suggest the Remote Control jump forward set to 2/4 Mins and jump back set to 30 seconds. Not sure what you are refering to with 'artists' as the Humax does play SOME YouTube (not all). 4od and itvplayer can't be implemented without the co-operation of the broadcaster and is very unlikely to be added by Humax. The Humax does play less types of file via DNLA than from the internal HDD again not changeable by the CF

I use 2 mins forward and 15 sec back - at least then the maximum adverts is just the few seconds of run-off before the programme ident! These are configurable in the Humax settings.

The other thing to mention is the WebIF Crop option - if you set bookmarks at the start and end of each programme section, then crop it, the adverts will be removed from the recording.

Thanks for your replies.

YouTube player on any "non pc" devices humax, blu ray players etc blocks for Rihanna singing umbrella, but allows Simon from Bolton singing umbrella. I don't know how but it does.

Has anyone tried updating the feeds stored in the database, they are not a simple VHS style record what you see are they as they have additional details stored in the raw format in the same manner as the sky+ worked. Additionally, can the data be extracted onto a pc so some analysis can take place? If this is the case I am sure you could for example record say 10 "just before to just after" ad breaks to look for the similarities of the markers, and then replace them with the bookmarks and then crop?

I haven't had a chance to update the humax for linux access and am currently only on version 27, I can imagine the scowl from my family over my shoulder whilst I am trying to get the family tv source back working again.

My query about the other online players was related to using some form of browser to access them, I think the WII can simply browse the internet, but that may be restricted to non flash - I haven't really checked.

I haven't had a chance to update the humax for linux access and am currently only on version 27, I can imagine the scowl from my family over my shoulder whilst I am trying to get the family tv source back working again.

If you have installed the Custom Firmware you already have access to the Humax's Linux operation system, Via Telnet (FTP is present even without the CF). For Telnet access you would need something like Putty (this is also built into some operating systems). FTP is also available in most Windows operating systems

YouTube player on any "non pc" devices humax, blu ray players etc blocks for Rihanna singing umbrella, but allows Simon from Bolton singing umbrella. I don't know how but it does.

Yes, the content available to the different platforms definitely varies. It's up to YouTube - the "smart TV" access uses one or several interfaces (not the normal web access) so they can alter what you see as they like.

Has anyone tried updating the feeds stored in the database

Nothing is stored in a database, the indexes are presented live from YouTube.

Additionally, can the data be extracted onto a pc so some analysis can take place? If this is the case I am sure you could for example record say 10 "just before to just after" ad breaks to look for the similarities of the markers, and then replace them with the bookmarks and then crop?

We would not be interested in off-the-box manipulation and then returning the file to the box for further manipulation - once you have the file on a PC you can use whatever tools are available in the Windows/Linux world to do whatever you want.

My query about the other online players was related to using some form of browser to access them, I think the WII can simply browse the internet, but that may be restricted to non flash - I haven't really checked.

The Humax does not have the grunt or the memory capacity to implement a general purpose browser, nor the interface to control one.

Back