Newbie Questions

RickyB

Apologies in advance for these questions, but I have read the relevant pages on the Wiki and don’t quite understand a couple of things.

As far as I can tell, the only way to copy watchable recordings from an HD Fox T2 to a PC (or in my case, a Mac) is to boot into HDR mode, make a copy locally using the remote control and then transfer the copied file to a computer using webif (or another method). Is this correct?

What confuses me is that I see various references to automatic decrption. Is this an alternative way to actually decrypt the recordings or does it just remove the encryption flag?

How does “detectads” tie in with this? Do files have to be decrypted first?

Para 2 above is correct.

You need to understand that the bulk of CF-land revolves around HDR-FOX not HD-FOX, which is severely limited in its capabilities, particularly with regard to "on the box" decryption. Without that, you cannot do anything that requires a decrypted file - including detectads. I don't know whether anybody has tried running detectads on a pre-decrypted file on HD-FOX, but I suspect it wouldn't get very far before running out of system resources.

More info here:
http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/important-the-differences-between-hd-fox-t2-and-hdr-fox-t2.1365/

Last edited by a moderator:
Para 2 above is correct.

You need to understand that the bulk of CF-land revolves around HDR-FOX not HD-FOX, which is severely limited in its capabilities, particularly with regard to "on the box" decryption. Without that, you cannot do anything that requires a decrypted file - including detectads. I don't know whether anybody has tried running detectads on a pre-decrypted file on HD-FOX, but I suspect it wouldn't get very far before running out of system resources.
Thanks very much. That makes it clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back