Newbie random questions...

Jeddy

Hi,
I'm new here so please be gentle with me and forgive me if some of this belongs in the main HDR-Fox T2 forum (I'm not yet sure what is what).

I'm quite impressed with the HDR-Fox T2 with custom firmware however I have a few questions which will hopefully address a few irritations.

1) If I'm watching via chase play and try to skip over ads with skip or I think ff, when I skip to live I always seem to end up stopping playing the recording (fair enough) and drop out to live TV on a random channel. Is there a way to drop out to live TV of the program I was watching, or to quickly get to the prog I was watching (by the time I find the channel I was watching and switch to it I've missed the next part so have to go back to the recording and ff to find the bit after the ads I've now missed).

2) A few times now I've finished watching a prog, pressed stop and then OK, Delete - only to find I've deleted the wrong program. As best I can work out this is because another program has started being recorded and it knows I was on the e.g. 10th prog so stays at the 10th rather than moving to the correct prog. now the 11th. Is there a way to address this short of being more careful and using the recycle bin so I can retrieve the prog.

3) Is there a way I can get all series into folders? It seems some series have new folders created for them while others don't - yet to work out a pattern. What's going on?

4) I thought at one point I saw an option whereby rs could be setup to attempt to resolve any conflicts - but I can't find it now. Am I imaging things?

Thanks!

1) I'm exactly clear what is happening here but here is something that may explain things :-
1a) The Time Shift buffer is effectively a temporary recording i.e. it is recorded into a 2 hour rolling buffer and you can play from anywhere along that 2 hour time line
1b) The Humax will not allow any programme to be recorded twice

Because of this you can hit difficulties when recording and tying to use chase play as this goes against the 1B rule

2) Again, not sure what is happening, but after watching a recorded programme you must press 'Stop' to exit it, it is possible to go to the media menu and select another programme to play without 'Stopping' the first one, if you do this, you wont be able to delete the first programme with out first pressing play and then stop

3) A recorded programme can have a both a unique ID and a series ID number, items are placed in a series folder when the series ID are the same, sometimes the broadcasters give programmes that you would conciser part of a series a different series ID, in this case they won't be placed in the same series folder. There is a custom Firmware package called sweeper that can force programmes into a certain folder using various keywords or other parameters

4) There are two sorts of conflict, there is a conflict that is apparent at the time the recording is scheduled and there is the sort that only becomes conflict after the schedule request is stored, due to say one programme running late and not releasing a tuner on time. The RS will highlight any conflicts it finds on the 'Home' page in pink, also in the RS >> Settings screen, there is a "Upcoming Conflict Warning Emails" so that you receive an E-mail any conflicts, The RS is obviously more likely to show the first 'sort' of conflict than the second, which may occur only a few seconds before the conflict happens

1a) The chase play buffer is effectively a temporary recording i.e. it is recorded into a 2 hour rolling buffer and you can play from anywhere along that 2 hour time line
"Chase play" is when a recording is played back before it has finished recording. Considering the context I think this is what the OP meant.

If I'm watching via chase play and try to skip over ads with skip or I think ff, when I skip to live I always seem to end up stopping playing the recording (fair enough) and drop out to live TV on a random channel. Is there a way to drop out to live TV of the program I was watching, or to quickly get to the prog I was watching (by the time I find the channel I was watching and switch to it I've missed the next part so have to go back to the recording and ff to find the bit after the ads I've now missed).
You will "drop out to live TV" to the channel you were watching before starting the chase play (by selecting it through the Media menu). Select that channel before starting the chase play.

A few times now I've finished watching a prog, pressed stop and then OK, Delete - only to find I've deleted the wrong program. As best I can work out this is because another program has started being recorded and it knows I was on the e.g. 10th prog so stays at the 10th rather than moving to the correct prog. now the 11th. Is there a way to address this short of being more careful and using the recycle bin so I can retrieve the prog.
See Things Every... (click) section 17.

Is there a way I can get all series into folders? It seems some series have new folders created for them while others don't - yet to work out a pattern. What's going on?
Disregarding any messing about with CF facilities, all series recordings will go into folders (but you have to specifically select "record the whole series" from the EPG). Just because a programme is part of a series doesn't mean it will be a series recording if you only choose to record them individually. If you are using RS to set up recordings and choosing "Event" rather than "Series", all the programmes which match the search will be scheduled as individual recordings, not series recordings.

Other than that, running the CF flatten package will have the effect of removing all series recordings from their folders (except those specifically set not to be flattened).

ok, a couple of follow on questions please.

It turns out I did have the 'flatten' package installed which I've now removed - thanks for that thought, however that has revealed another oddity and couple of questions:

I was watching something which was in a folder and when it ended I naturally pressed stop and much to my surprise rather than taking me back to the folder, it took me out of the folder, and up a folder too (another folder had been created). This then left me trying to work out what I'd just watched and where it was. So down one folder and into that, but which program did I just watch?

Is there a way it shows what programs have been watched (short of pressing OK and seeing if Resume Play is an option for all of them)?

Thanks,
Jeddy

Is there a way it shows what programs have been watched (short of pressing OK and seeing if Resume Play is an option for all of them)?

Yes, the unwatched recordings have a small yellow triangle over the top left of the icon next to them. Not immediately obvious.

I was watching something which was in a folder and when it ended I naturally pressed stop and much to my surprise rather than taking me back to the folder, it took me out of the folder, and up a folder too (another folder had been created). This then left me trying to work out what I'd just watched and where it was. So down one folder and into that, but which program did I just watch?
The media browser remembers where you last left it, so if you browsed the media list while watching a recording and then stopped the playback, the media browser will show you where you were last browsing and not where the recording is.

Back