Newbie version confusion

jarsudsco

Hello, I'm new to this forum and have found it fascinating looking through the various topics here but I'm a bit confused, so please excuse me if I'm asking something that is answered elsewhere but I've not been able to find it, so...

I have a HD-Fox T2 which you can guess lost it's ability to access the TV Portal recently. Whilst reading around the problem I learned that there was a more recent version of the firmware available, namely 1.02.29 - my box was running 1.02.28. I knew it would not fix the portal issue but I upgraded anyway so now I'm running 1.02.29

I didn't know anything about the custom firmware that is available otherwise I would have installed it a long time ago, so I've been reading about it here but there are so many version numbers flying around I wanted to check something.

The quick start guide says "Custom firmware is available for either standard firmware 1.02.20, 1.02.32, or the latest standard firmware (1.03.12 at last update of this post)".

Does that mean I can only install the custom firmware on one of those specific standard firmware versions? So *not* on the 1.02.29 I now have - I would need to either downgrade to 1.02.20 or upgrade to 1.02.32? (Is 1.02.32 reliable? I seem to be reading it was not officially released onto the HD-Fox T2...?)

If someone could help clear up my confusion I would be grateful.

As an aside, I initially contacted Humax directly when the portal failed and my last e-mail from them (yesterday) said: "Yes accessing the portal is a problem we are aware of and are currently in the process of testing the fix which will be released via and update in the coming weeks ."

Regards,

-jarsudsco

The quick start guide says "Custom firmware is available for either standard firmware 1.02.20, 1.02.32, or the latest standard firmware (1.03.12 at last update of this post)".
That'll be for the HDR not the HD.
Does that mean I can only install the custom firmware on one of those specific standard firmware versions? So *not* on the 1.02.29 I now have - I would need to either downgrade to 1.02.20 or upgrade to 1.02.32? (Is 1.02.32 reliable? I seem to be reading it was not officially released onto the HD-Fox T2...?)
Look on here for an appropriate version: http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads
"...currently in the process of testing the fix which will be released via and update in the coming weeks ."
We'll believe that when we see it and not before. Their recent promises have so far been empty ones.

@prpr - Thanks for the quick reply, I'm still confused though...
That'll be for the HDR not the HD.
What will be for the HDR and not the HD? Clearly not the custom firmaly per se. The sections I read seemed to be apply to both HD and HDR with the exception of the note about USB devices on the HD.
Look on here for an appropriate version: <link removed due to restricted posting>
That was actually where I started and what led to my confusion. The "Custom Firmware" section lists only "HD_FOX_T2_1.02.31_mod_3.00.zip" and "HD_FOX_T2_1.02.20_mod_3.00.zip" under the HD-Fox T2. Is this saying that version 3.00 of the custom firmware is only available for standard firmware versions 1.02.20 and 1.02.31? Hence my question from my previous post about upgrading or downgrading.

To take another approach; to keep my current standard firmware (1.02.29) would I need to download and use the "HD_FOX_T2_1.02.29_mod_2.21.zip" version from the "Previous Custom Firware Releases" section which seems to be only version 2.21 of the Custom Firmware - so several versions behind. What's the rationale behind this approach to development? Is there a preferred version of the standard firmware?

As a newcomer to this subject I guess I'm just trying to understand what is the best option for me to take - I'd like my T2 to be as stable and reliable as possible with the option of as many features and facilities as are available.

We'll believe that when we see it and not before. Their recent promises have so far been empty ones.
Ah yes, well, I too have been made promises by Humax that never came to pass so I know exactly what you mean.

Regards,

-jarsudsco

(Am I missing something... why does the forum remove *some* of the carriage returns I put in my post when I first type it?)

You can install HD_FOX_T2_1.02.31_mod_3.00.zip, this will also upgrade your HD-FOX T2 to 1.02.31.

To explain the versions with the latest custom firmware (3.00) for the HDR-FOX:

1.02.20 - in subsequent versions of standard firmware there were changes made (bugs created?) that altered the way that audio description works, but not in a good way. Also, later versions can enforce a recording-schedule wiping automatic retune.

1.02.32 - the last of 1.02.xx updates. 1.03.xx versions introduced a bug that makes scrolling in the EPG very slow. Some people can't live with this so stay on 1.02.32 firmware. Unfortunately the portal no longer works on 1.02.xx versions.

1.03.12 - the latest version. Numerous bug fixes (incl. high def. channel recording bug) and a working portal, but a slow EPG.

For the HD-FOX the versions with the latest custom firmware are 1.02.20 (see above) and 1.02.31. The latest official firmware version on general release is 1.02.29, but up to version 1.02.32 was installed on graded HD-FOX units bought from Humax Direct. 1.02.32 had some tuning improvements over 1.02.29 but they are very similar. 1.02.31 is the latest version available with custom firmware.

If you want custom firmware and don't need the audio description features in 1.02.20, go for 1.02.31/ CFW 3.00, as suggested by Brian. Otherwise stick with 1.02.29.

@Brian - Thank you for that, the penny has dropped. I didn't twig to the fact the custom firmware installs *include* the specified standard firmware. It makes much more sense now.

@MontysEvilTwin - Thanks for taking the time to explain things, I had sort of guessed that the various versions might have different bugs so it could be case of choose your preferred poison. So you've covered the next question I would have asked - basically what are the downsides of the various versions. I'll get right on downloading 1.02.31 with CFW 3.00 now.

Thanks for your help everyone :)

What will be for the HDR and not the HD?
The text was referring to custom firmware versions available for the HDR.
Clearly not the custom firmaly per se.
Yer what?
The "Custom Firmware" section lists only "HD_FOX_T2_1.02.31_mod_3.00.zip" and "HD_FOX_T2_1.02.20_mod_3.00.zip" under the HD-Fox T2.
No it doesn't. Older versions are further down the page. I would recommend you use 1.02.31 mod 3.00 though unless you really have a definite reason to use something else.
To take another approach; to keep my current standard firmware (1.02.29) would I need to download and use the "HD_FOX_T2_1.02.29_mod_2.21.zip" version from the "Previous Custom Firware Releases" section which seems to be only version 2.21 of the Custom Firmware - so several versions behind.
Yes. Which is why it's not recommended.

I can see my CF info isn't quite right (it has got a bit left behind) and causing confusion. I have patched it.

Back