Newbie with custom firmware (apologies!!)

MortalWombatUK

Hello All,

Having been annoyed by strange disk errors on my HDR Fox T2, so I took the plunge and installed the custom firmware. I have sucesfully used the "fix-disk" utility to get back some recordings which had appeared lost, so I am pretty chuffed!

However, now that I have dipped my toes in the water, I am keen to understand how to do a few more basic operations. Any advice on the following questions would be greatly appreciated.

1) I have downloaded an SD TS file from the Humax to my Mac (using the opt+ icon in the web portal when browsing the humax). Quicktime will open the file, but will not play it. Are SD files protected? Do I need to use another player (maybe VLC)?
2) I have installed the auto-unprotect package which it seems will remove any encryption from HD files (have not tried it yet), can I assume it does not remove encryption from SD files?
3) What are the best tools/steps to get recorded content onto my Mac for archive/viewing/editing/transferring to iOS devices?
4) What other "must have" packages would you recommend?

Thanks so much for any feedback!

1) I have downloaded an SD TS file from the Humax to my Mac (using the opt+ icon in the web portal when browsing the humax). Quicktime will open the file, but will not play it. Are SD files protected? Do I need to use another player (maybe VLC)?

When it downloaded, was it called something like 1234.TS or did it retain a longer filename? If the former then you haven't enabled content sharing in the Humax menus. If you do that and give it a few minutes to index the content, the file will be decrypted on download.

If it was called 1234.TS then the problem is your player. VLC should certainly manage to play it.

2) I have installed the auto-unprotect package which it seems will remove any encryption from HD files (have not tried it yet), can I assume it does not remove encryption from SD files?

You really should read through Black Hole's guides first, but auto-unprotect doesn't remove encryption it just removes protection that would otherwise prevent HD recordings from being decrypted or streamed without copy protection.

3) What are the best tools/steps to get recorded content onto my Mac for archive/viewing/editing/transferring to iOS devices?

Downloading from the web interface is as good as anything for the odd bit of content. For bulk transfers you could install NFS or Samba on the Humax then mount it as a drive on the Mac, or install betaftpd and mount the Humax via FTP.

4) What other "must have" packages would you recommend?

Everybody has their own favourites depending on what they want to do!

Redring is popular as is the remote scheduling (rs) system. In general, packages have their own thread in the custom firmware forum and there's a summary page on the Wiki too. Have a look down the list of available packages in the web interface and read up on any that seem interesting. Be careful of installing one just to try it if you don't know what it does though - some of them restructure your recordings on the disk (e.g. flatten).

Thanks for the swift responses.
OK, understood about the difference between protection and decryption, thanks for clarifying. The file I downloaded did retain a long filename, so it looks like I need to enable the share content option (on the actual Humax menu system, rather than the web portal, right?).

Undelete sounds like a good one. I will do some more digging and see what I can find out!

Thanks again...

Yes you turn it on on the Humax e.g. To use the DLNA - enabled features, Content Sharing must be turned on in the Humax menus (Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Settings), this note is from the WiKi encryption page
Notes on Custom Firmware packages are HERE

...as stated in footnote 3 in the Guide to Decryption (as referenced from Things Every... section 5).

The DLNA server is critical to the custom decryption processes, and Content Share = On is the control for enabling the server. The server is disabled while the TV Portal is in use, so no automatic or WebIF decryption can be performed at the same time.

What are you getting at? A complete description is definitive, not necessarily the only. I fail to see what the users need to decide.

BH : As stated in footnote 3 in the Definitive Guide to Decryption (as referenced from Things Every... section 5).
I'm sure this would have been better if "the" was replaced with "my".

I do not accept the word "the" as implying "the only" (unless "the" is stressed in some way, eg "the") - but that is a subject for Assume v Presume.

Whether the description on the Wiki could be regarded as definitive is at least as much a matter of opinion, and in my view post 8 onwards does nothing to further the aims of this topic or the forum in general. I am however prepared to remove "Definitive" from my post (not the source, as it that intended and maintained as definitive).

My point, in post 7, was that the OP had already been made aware of the information in post 6.

The point is that you, (the author), is saying that your version is 'the Definitive Guide' and that the one in the Wiki may not be, don't you think you're a little biased?

The point is that you, (the author), is saying that your version is 'the Definitive Guide' and that the one in the Wiki may not be, don't you think you're a little biased?

What is the definitive definition of "definitive?"

Back