Next box opinion ?

Sargan

This is a generic sort of question (hope its right sub foum)
I have a Fox T2 running customized f/w 3.13
I had HDD fail, and lately, T2 often freezes .. and have to power cycle to clear. This is becoming more frequent so maybe it is time to start thinking about 'what box next' before total failure.

I now have a Samsung 4k TV which has HDR10, Dolby Atmos ... and it would make sense if I replace T2 to get a box that can handle that, plus be able to select record direct from TV guide.
What is the Humax box to consider ? .... is the Aura 4K what to consider?
Any disadvantages to this box

Are the 'experts' looking at customised f/w on any newer boxes ?

which sub-forum should it be and I'll delete & repost.
Well the Aura forum for that box https://hummy.tv/forum/forums/aura-uhd-android-tv-recorder.56/
and for other options https://hummy.tv/forum/forums/non-humax-pvrs.59/ and https://hummy.tv/forum/forums/diy-pvr-building.55/

HDR T2 are still available on ebay and more repair options have been tried to preserve there life

I am still mainly using HDR T2 but also have a HDHomerun with DvrOntime recording software as my backup option, I haven't tried AdBreaker ad removal software yet but that gets good reviews - all discussed on the diy pvr building forum

PRIME provides 4K as does Netflix.
BBC iPLayer and Youtube ... I'm sure more will follow
Yes, but those aren't broadcast. You can get them on the TV without any separate box. You only need the box for HD, per my post in the other thread.

The Aura can be used to record ‘streamed’ 4K content or am I reading it wrong.
plus it allows up to 4 ch to be recorded at a time.
My T2 is needing to be replaced, (maybe not immediately) it would seem logical to get current higher spec rather than buy a replacement now 13 years behind in hardware build terms.

Last edited:
You're reading it wrong. It can record up to 4 concurrent Freeview channels.
In not sure anything can legally record streaming outside of the relevant app (like being able to download content on a mobile device to watch offline).

OK …. thanks for clarity, it does still make sense to buy current technology when time comes the T2 is now pretty old. The 4 concurrent freeview recording is a good step upwards.
I can wait until T2 fails fully.

it does still make sense to buy current technology when time comes the T2 is now pretty old.
Oh yes. Our T2s didn't die but as we became ever more reliant on subtitles they just weren't up to the job (not was our Humax satellite box). The greater number of recordings is also a boon since so much of what we want goes out in the 8-10pm zone.

That is my consideration between 8-10 be nice to be able to record more than 2 due to overlap.
The T2 has been good, and I may well just run it until it dies ..... the increasing frequency of freezing & crashes may become too much to put up with.
I did 'stretch; its life, when HDD failed I replaced that with 2 TB ... so has been a good box.

Depends how much you value the CF facilities of course. Fit & forget: Aura. Flexibility: HomeRun.

I have just attempted to read the entire wealth of what is available to read on the internet but failed. I only have ultra-fast download speed. I couldn't identify what it is that you read. Please would you provide some clues, or even better, a quote or a link.

I have just attempted to read the entire wealth of what is available to read on the internet but failed. I only have ultra-fast download speed. I couldn't identify what it is that you read. Please would you provide some clues, or even better, a quote or a link.
think you have read enough then

Top section of Humax's 'Features' about it ( my bolds):
Whether you want to catch up your favourite shows, binge on the most talked-about box sets, or download recordings to watch on the go, the all-new Humax Aura UHD Recorder has you covered.
With 4K HDR10 support, Dolby Audio and a quad-core processor, Aura takes performance to a whole new level.

I'm sure @Sargan isn't the first to read more into that than it actually says - it's a masterpiece of marketing.
I'm seeing similar vagueness over the impending PSTN (telephone) switch off ... there's money to be made.

Back