Next weeks updates

Just noticed the T&Cs on the myhumax.net site list the following:
  1. Remote Control App
  2. Humax Portal
  3. TV Portal
  4. Mobile App
It seems they really have taken a leaf from the modding book.

Hello from a former (lapsed) member - that 9200T really was far too reliable ;)

I recently upgraded to the HDR-FOX T2 and have found this forum invaluable in sorting out all manner of teething problems - so warm thanks to all the regular contributors.

Now to the question! With the rather untimely OTA upgrade this week and the uncertainty about its content I thought I would hedge my bets by downloading 1.02.29 and my current version (1.02.27) in advance so I could go forwards or backwards quickly if it turns out to be a dud.
Unfortunately, it looks like 1.02.27 is no longer available for download from the Humax site - is there another source that I could get it from?

thanks,

Tony

quickly if it turns out to be a dud

Thanks for the reply BH - perhaps I should have emphasised the IF in that statement.
I had already had a thorough read of your entire 'Things Every...' section and had noted that while, on my current version, (1.02.27) YouTube does not work but Internet radio does, the upgrade to 1.02.28 appears to reverse that situation. Losing Internet Radio would be a real downer as SWMBO has taken a real shine to it (which is a Godsend since getting familiar with a new remote control, menu system, teething niggles etc has been a real bone of contention - she hates change :( ).
I see that 1.02.29 reportedly restores Internet Radio but I haven't seen a great deal of reviews (positive or negative) from people who have upgraded to it - despite keeping up with all the threads on a daily basis since getting the T2 in October. Guess I'll just have to take the plunge into it with fingers crossed (or switch off my box for the next few nights!).
In (my) ideal world they would have held off the OTA upgrade until January.

I'm running .29 on my HD-FOX, no particular problems and (as mentioned) the TV Portal is working properly. That there has been little mention in the forum is a good indication people are not having any trouble with it. In my view it is better than .27 or .28, and it is difficult to understand why .28 is still being transmitted.

.29 does of course still go ahead and retune by default, as introduced at .27, but that is the only vice I know of. Alternatively .20 is fully functional (TV Portal included) except for the 4GB bug in the streamed media player (not a problem if you do not use it to play back material from a networked DLNA server).

Wow, that was quick - and nicely reassuring!
I, too, am struggling to understand why they would re-broadcast something which is known to break an existing service.
I'm not overly-fussed about the re-tuning niggle as I know to watch out for it so I'll find a quiet spell over the next few days and move to 1.02.29 before the weekend. That way I can make sure everything is hunky dory before the xmas schedules begin in earnest (I'm already on a warning if Downton fails to record .............!!! :disagree:)

If you find you really do need 1.02.27 (I don't think you will), I have a copy and can place it on a download site for you. It looks like there maybe a 1.02.30 in the new year, with an update for the new TV portal so maybe that is why they are not bothering to OTA 1.02.29

Thanks for the offer Ezra - I'll bear it in mind as a fallback.

BH's experience with 1.02.29 on the HD-FOX is reassuring so I'll go forward rather than back and see how it goes.
The new TV portal looks interesting and I've already registered on myhmax.net - only to be met with the 'app market is not supported for your product' message. Hopefully, that will change with 1.02.30.

The OTA software update to 1.02.28 (overnight 20 Dec) seems to have gone well. There was no re-scanning of TV channels provoked by the update.The recording schedule was left intact.
The HDR had come with version 1.02.26 We don't use the web features on the HDR - it is used only as a TV receiver and recorder.

There will not be a retuning unless the broadcast network prompts one. When it does it will only give you a brief opportunity to opt out, and if a retune occurs you will have to reinstate your recording schedule.

If you have no interest in streaming media from elsewhere on your network, you might just as well install 1.02.20. Details in Things Every...

Something maybe to watch out for. My IP address on the HDR seems to have changed from 1.5 to 1.3 since the update (Configure IP was set DHCP before update). I have since changed to manual and reverted back to 1.5 as I already have a roberts radio on 1.5. Would this cause a problem if they were both on 1.5?

If a item is set to DHCP, it is allocated a free IP address by the router when it is first powered on. The router will not allocate an IP address that is already in use, if the radio is manually set to 1.5 then you router won't allocate the Humax to it. An item on DHCP that was on say 1.3 the last time it was powered on will by default try to use the same IP next time it is turned on, however if something else has been allocated to 1.3 while the item is off, a different IP will be allocated

Amplifying Ezra's reply:

My IP address on the HDR seems to have changed from 1.5 to 1.3 since the update (Configure IP was set DHCP before update).

If you are on DHCP the Humax plays no part in assigning an IP address. It is down to your router to hand out an IP address each time the DHCP client requests one (normally at boot time). If you require a fixed IP address you must either use a manual configuration or set your router to hand out a fixed address when requested. The former is quick and dirty (there is nothing stopping you configuring conflicting IP addresses on multiple devices), the latter requires more effort but is better for network integrity.

I have since changed to manual and reverted back to 1.5 as I already have a roberts radio on 1.5. Would this cause a problem if they were both on 1.5?

Yes it would! Why do you think they need to have the same address? Every device on your network must have a different address. This is usually handled by the router by DHCP.

The router will not allocate an IP address that is already in use, if the radio is manually set to 1.5 then you router won't allocate the Humax to it.
Sorry, but that's not true. If you start setting addresses manually, then the DHCP server has no idea what you've done and it is possible that it will assign a duplicate IP address (and yes, johndriscoll, this will cause problems).
You MUST NOT assign static addresses out of the same pool the DHCP server is managing.

If a item is set to DHCP, it is allocated a free IP address by the router when it is first powered on. The router will not allocate an IP address that is already in use, if the radio is manually set to 1.5 then you router won't allocate the Humax to it. An item on DHCP that was on say 1.3 the last time it was powered on will by default try to use the same IP next time it is turned on, however if something else has been allocated to 1.3 while the item is off, a different IP will be allocated

That rather depends on the router and configuration. I have some devices in my network configured locally with fixed IPs since my old router would not allow me to configure the DHCP to assign a fixed IP (I configured a clear block for them which the DHCP would not use). My new router does allow fixed IPs for some devices but I have not yet set it all up, consequently, sometimes a device gets assigned an IP by the DHCP which is already used by another device since the DHCP does not know about it. This is rare but it can happen if the fixed IP device is turned off when the DHCP refreshes it's table.

To avoid this, any device that fixes its IP locally should also be configured in the DHCP server with the same address so that it knows to avoid it (or use a block outside the range of the DHCP if the configuration only allows that).

Certainly having two devices using the same IP will cause no end of pain.

A router's set of available IP addresses is usually divided into two groups e.g. DHCP = 2 - 100 and Fixed = 101 to 254 (the cross over point can be changed), you should only allocate a fixed IP address from the 'fixed' number group

A router's set of available IP addresses is usually divided into two groups e.g. DHCP = 2 - 100 and Fixed = 101 to 254 (the cross over point can be changed), you should only allocate a fixed IP address from the 'fixed' number group
Yeah, like I say it depends on the router software, I have 5 routers and every one of them does this differently so I don't like to make generalisations. The important thing is to make sure you understand what it is doing and set the configuration so that fixed and dynamic addresses can't clash. Just setting a fixed address on a device (not using DHCP) is not sufficient if you have other devices using dynamic addresses.

The way I do it is to not bother with pools and assign the current IP address allocated to the particular MAC as "expire=never", although I admit not all routers offer the same options. That fixes my devices' IP addresses until and unless I have to do a factory reset on the router (then I have to set it up all over again). It does not normally matter which address is allocated, as long as it is stable.

Is it possible to set up a local DNS system, so that we can access devices by URL? Then, if the IP addresses did change (eg router factory reset), it would only be a case of updating the DNS table in one place instead of web links in multiple places. Obviously the local DNS would have to be up all the time the network is up, so the router would be the obvious place for it.

We should split this into a new topic: "Managing Network IP Addresses".

Back