No access to T2

wiab4355

This morning, couldn't access my T2 from my W10 laptop, did the usual hard reboot (didn't work), checked the ip address hadn't changed (it hadn't), so now at a bit of a loss.

Please help?

Check the HDR-FOX has an active network connection by firing up the TV Portal. If that works, it's probably your PC at fault or may be your router - reboot it/them.

If the TV Portal complained there was no network, you need to look at your network settings and connection again. If the TV Portal initialised but rebooting your PC/router did not restore normal functionality:

Try pinging the relevant IP address from a command console ("ping XX.XX.XX.XX").

If no response... well, there's still a network/PC/router problem.

Assuming there is a response to the pings, the next thing is to use Telnet to access the Telnet Menu: https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Telnet

If you get pings but no Telnet - you've erased the CF by updating with stock Humax firmware.

Hi BH

Well, the TV Portal didn't actually complain, but it didn't open either. The display reads "HUMAX TV PORTAL", but it's still the Lord Mayor's show on-screen.
Pinging didn't seem to work, Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

Static IP or DHCP?
If static, change it to DHCP and see if the box picks up an IP from the router.

Whether static or DHCP, if you bring up the details on-screen and click "apply", you will find out whether a connection is established with those details.

Well, the TV Portal didn't actually complain, but it didn't open either. The display reads "HUMAX TV PORTAL", but it's still the Lord Mayor's show on-screen.
You probably haven't allowed enough time for it to time out.

Trev - I did manually set the IP, so should I put it back to DHCP?

But won't the router be able to change it randomly?

BH - You're right it did eventually complain!

I did manually set the IP
Why? What to? And what's the rest of your network set to?
IP address, netmask, gateway and DNS all have to be right for things to work properly.
And don't assign static addresses out of the DHCP pool.

Last edited:
Just put it onto DHCP and see if it picks up an IP address. If so use that to ping etc.
But won't the router be able to change it randomly?
Yes, the router can assign it different addresses, but in my limited experience they seem to always give stuff the same IP.
Anyway, does a change of IP address pass the 'So What' test?
You can always put it back to static later once you have it sorted, if that's what you want.
Does your router show it as a connected device on the static IP?

prpr - because I copy to and from both of them every day and having them not work one day just because of the flippin' router was becoming a pain.
Plus one of them is not connected to a tv/monitor because it's only used to record radio.
And anyway, everything's BEEN working properly for lots of months until this morning.

Trev - a) not always; before going static, it was 50/50 whether the IP would change after a reboot
b) and c) suppose
d) both T2s show up as "unknown"

The risk of assigning a fixed IP address (assuming the netmask and gateway are correct, of course) from within the DHCP pool is that while the HDR-FOX (or whatever) is off, the router might lease out the same address to a DHCP request from another device. When the HDR-FOX comes back on line, network conflicts ensue. Just because it normally doesn't, doesn't mean this can't and won't happen (particularly if a router reboot makes it forget its previous assignments).

The best way to assign a static address is to reserve it at the router (identified by MAC), from outside the DHCP pool. The pool can be reduced to a smaller set if necessary. The HDR-FOX would then be set to DHCP, and the router will then lease out the same IP to that MAC each time. Sometimes the router menus call a fixed allocation "infinite lease".

The above doesn't work if the connection is not direct by cable (eg powerline), because the connection through the adapter probably will not have established in time for the HDR's boot-up DHCP negotiation, and then it defaults to nonsense values. Under those circumstances, configure the static address at the router, but also set the same address manually at the HDR-FOX (instead of DHCP).

The best way to assign a static address is to reserve it at the router (identified by MAC), from outside the DHCP pool. The pool can be reduced to a smaller set if necessary. The HDR-FOX would then be set to DHCP, and the router will then lease out the same IP to that MAC each time. Sometimes the router menus call a fixed allocation "infinite lease".
This is what I have, though my router doesn't appear to have a DHCP pool as such. You just assign the device an address and the router won't give it to anything else.

Can you not set the upper and lower bounds of the DHCP pool then Mike? What router is it?

Can you not set the upper and lower bounds of the DHCP pool then Mike? What router is it?
Just had a better look around (it's been nearly 2 years since I set it up) and there is a page for setting the dhcp range. It doesn't seem to matter in this context though (my boxes are in that range and it gives then those addresses each time).
It's a Fritzbox 3490.

Just had a better look around (it's been nearly 2 years since I set it up) and there is a page for setting the dhcp range. It doesn't seem to matter in this context though (my boxes are in that range and it gives then those addresses each time).
It's a Fritzbox 3490.
That's fine as it goes, but I doubt it is guaranteed behaviour nor will it persist over a reset.

Back