No channels available...

That's not going to help the OP in his current situation, but I don't think anything would help the OP in his current situation (apart from a time machine or obtaining a WiFi dongle)!
or, perhaps, a very understanding neighbour with access ?

he'd need to find a suitable flash drive from which to upgrade the firmware
And a computer to plug it into. I guess he only has a phone.
One problem is that the flag file needs to be spotted before the Humax software has started, and it's the Humax software that powers on and mounts the disk.
So it has to go in the flash. Which then means you can't modify it using just the SUI.
Flippin' chickens and their eggs...

Given that the user will probably only think to change it after the system has entered a cul-de-sac, can't the on-disc flag file be read after boot up, the switch values copied to the cfw area, and then acted on at the next reboot.
That can then be arranged so the cfw values could be selected directly through the cfw if the user has webif access, but is at least indirectly changeable via BH's sui concept. (Changes made via webif would be written to the disc file to keep it all aligned.)

I've added a couple of downloadable files to the Firmware Downloads page - https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads
They can be placed on a USB drive and plugged into a running system to enable or disable safe mode; a reboot will then be required.
This should work with any custom firmware version that supports safe mode - that's CFW 3.10 and above.

That's not going to help the OP in his current situation, but I don't think anything would help the OP in his current situation (apart from a time machine or obtaining a WiFi dongle)!
Now that I understand the problem, I am quite prepared to work around it by retuning or leaving on as necessary, I will be able to fix things when I go home at the weekend. The tunefix update will prevent the same problem in the future (thanks prpr).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back