No network access to files on Humax

ejstubbs

I've been streaming some programmes from iPlayer via the Humax portal, and saving them in the media list via the webif with the intention of transferring them to my Mac later for burning to disc. Tonight I've discovered that I can't get the files off the Humax. I can see them listed on the Media page in the webif, but if I click Opt+ and select download, nothing useful happens. I've also tried FTPing the files off the Humax, using Filezilla as the FTP client on the Mac. I can connect to the Humax and log on, but the first LIST command hangs so I can't see the files that I want to transfer (and yes, I've checked that FTP is enabled).

Anyone seen anything like this before, or got any ideas why it isn't working?

I'm currently on firmware version 1.03.06, with the latest custom firmware.

I guess if the worst comes to the worst I'll just have to resort to my trusty (but slow) 4GB USB stick...

Have you installed the betaftp package or are you using the stock FTP server? If stock then make sure you're using passive FTP mode. betaftp is a much better server.

You could also try downloading by pointing your browser directly at http://<ip of humax>/media/

Hi BH

I'm using the stock FTP server. Filezilla is definitely in passive mode. Oh, hang on, maybe it's not - it gets a "command not implemented" response to the PASV command:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 Welcome to connection.
Command: USER humaxftp
Response: 331 Password required for humaxftp.
Command: PASS ****
Response: 230 User logged in, proceed.
Command: SYST
Response: 215 UNIX system type.
Command: FEAT
Response: 500 Syntax error, command unrecognized.
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/media" is current working dir.
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 Port command successful
Command: PASV
Response: 502 Command not implemented.
Command: PORT 192,168,0,11,232,131
Response: 200 Port command successful
Command: LIST
Error: Connection timed out
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

Setting FileZilla to use active mode doesn't work either. The sequence is the same except for the PASV command. Since that didn't work before anyway, not issuing it wouldn't really be expected to make a difference.

Using the media folder URL in the browser address field does work (surprisingly). I can list the folder contents and right-click any file to download it. The file ends up with a .txt suffix but plays fine in mpegstreamclip if I just remove that and leave the original .mp4 suffix in place.

It's worked fine in the past, the only thing that's changed is the firmware version on the Humax. Puzzling...

UPDATE: betaftp seems to be working OK - took a while to start the transfer but ran well once it had got going. I might try downgrading to the 1.02.32 firmware to see if the stock FTP server is working in that version.

My FTP usage is through a drag & drop GUI rather than the command line, so I never see anything of this.

I'm running 1.02.32 with CF 2.19
When I use Opt+ on one of these mp4 files to download it, my browser window fills with a load of symbols.
I first noticed it with CF 2.17
I hadn't got round to trying to ftp or otherwise transfer the files, or to checking the browser (FF) settings.

I'm not sure how well accommodated .mp4 (and non-ts in general) is within the WebIF. I find I can't move them within the media folder structure either. Should be fine by FTP or network file sharing though (these are independent of the WebIF).

dandnsmith : Are there any recordings with in you directory listing with 'accents' e.g. two dots above an 'o' etc. as I noticed this line in #4 :-

UPDATE: betaftp seems to be working OK - took a while to start the transfer but ran well once it had got going. I might try downgrading to the 1.02.32 firmware to see if the stock FTP server is working in that version.
The built-in FTP server is atrocious.
It was probably crashing whilst building the directory listing.

dandnsmith : Are there any recordings with in you directory listing with 'accents' e.g. two dots above an 'o' etc. as I noticed this line in #4 :-
No diaereses in my directories - or any other accents, for that matter.
I don't think the underline character is counted as non-ASCII (eg straight_1.mp4) - or is it?

Sorry, just realised that #4 was posted by ejstubbs, I was just thinking that it might be easier to translate all 'special' characters into a - z / A - Z rather than try to fix all the various packages that might get tripped up by them

Ezra: now that I know that your comment was directed at me, I shall try to remember to check the directory contents when I get home.

UPDATE: I checked, there aren't any non-ASCII characters in any of the file names as far as I can see. There is one French film but it doesn't have any accented characters in the name as it is displayed on the web if or the TV. I'll try looking in more detail at the weekend.

User error?

Initial connection was to 192.168.0.3

The PORT command specified 192.168.0.1

Do you have two humax boxes? If not then connection is now to another device (router?)

Why change the port from the default 21 anyway?

User error?
Nope.
Initial connection was to 192.168.0.3
That's the IP address of the Humax.
The PORT command specified 192.168.0.1
Actually it specified 192.168.0.11. That's the IP address of the client machine.
Why change the port from the default 21 anyway?
Port 21 is the default command port for FTP. The PORT command tells the server which port on the client to use to make the data transfer connections. Different part of the process.

For your information, all those commands were issued by FileZilla, all I did was click buttons on the GUI. FileZilla works fine with a number of other FTP servers on my network, and has worked with the Humax in the past. It's not user error.

I guess you have something blocking the incoming connection. Check firewall?

I guess you have something blocking the incoming connection. Check firewall?
"FileZilla works fine with a number of other FTP servers on my network"
"betaftp seems to be working OK"

It's not the firewall because FileZilla on the same machine works perfectly well with other FTP servers, including the betaftp server on the Humax. It's the stock FTP server on the Humax that's the problem (supporting af123's assertion that it is "atrocious").

Given that I have two perfectly functional workarounds ie betaftp and using the //<Humax IP>/media/ URL, resolving this is now more an exercise in satisfying my personal curiousity than fulfilling an actual user requirement.

Finally managed to power-cycle the box this weekend and the stock FTP server is now working (with Filezilla as the client, as before). Now I'm not sure whether to stick with the stock server while it works, and have betaftp as a fallback, or use betaftp all the time. Decisions, decisions...

Back