No Programmes Are Currently Being Broadcast On This Channel for approx 3 minutes

peterworks

Ye Olde Bowler
After power on and loading competed (ie, channel shown in vfd) screen shows 'scrambled' message for 10 seconds then
'No Programmes Are Currently Being Broadcast On This Channel'
Info bar shows correct information
EPG populated
Signal detection as normal
Picture appears after approx 3 minutes (it is blocky at first but sorts itself out quickly) and all functions okay
Put into standby for a couple of minutes
When bought out of standby same problem
Recordings are fine (assume because using AR it has 15 minutes to sort itself out)
Powered off (using the switch) for 30 minutes - no change

Edit: Both tuners are fine (ie recording from one mux while watching another mux)

Possibly not relevant but am using custom firmware and WebIf so have put more info below.
WebIf okay as soon as power on sequence completed
modinit log shows (after restart):
280 Tue Oct 13 11:33:00 2020 No EPG data to send.
279 rs: offering EPG...
278 Job `rs_channels' terminated (mailing output)
277 Job `rs_channels' started

I have another box which is set up exacly the same which works fine.

Hopefully not becoming fatal...

Any ideas would be most welcome.

All channels on all muxes or certain channels/muxes?
How are you checking signal strength? The display from the diagnostics page is static old information, Good steady quality is more important than strength
Try using the Hidden service menu

Last edited:
I am checking the strength/quality on the box itself (System Info). All the qualities are 100 pct (I cannot get 37 or 55).
Within the 3 minute window I managed to view 1 channel per mux. They showed the same message.
Hidden service menu shows both tuners are okay but not enough time to check every mux.
Changed the aerial feed and still the same.
On trying the last time I kept the EPG visible and noticed it became unpopulated with the date flitting between 29th Sept and 6th Oct - I had previously done an EPG reset in maintenance mode.

Snap.
Snap, but for me it started a few months ago and has got worse. I now also occasionally have drop outs after the first few minutes , and the drop outs at the start can now last more than a couple of minutes.

While it is in that state the Signal Detection screen shows Strength and Signal as exactly what I would previously have expect them compared to when the unit was fully working.
Pressing instant record with the no signal message displayed (to occupy the first tuner), then allows watching of any channel from a different mux.
If you turn it on, and immediately start an instant recording can you see channels on other muses before the 3 minutes is up?

Thanks @Luke that works. If I then cancel the recording it goes back to the problem. Could this be a problem with tuner 1 then ?

The hidden service menu (as indicated in Post 2) allows you to test each tuner individually.

A few more problems have manifested themselves.
After watching live TV for one hour and then a one hour recording:
The Standby button on the remote does not work and the button on the front of the unit doesn't either
In WebIf all the buttons are okay (see below) except for Settings and Diag
Capture 16-10-2020 16_38_44.jpg
I can telnet in and reboot successfully.
I have an overnight reminder to allow for housekeeping. When initiated RS shows that connection but nothing further (eg, last seen time and no disk update)
and, although queued, only 1 of the 2 to be decrypted is actioned.
I have tried Safe Mode to no avail.
Just wonder if an RMA and no CFW (3.14) would be worth a try ?

no CFW (3.14)
I don't see any benefit in that. We have absolutely no reason to suspect the CF itself can be responsible for what you are reporting, if you suspect a flash corruption then re-installing CF would be just as effective as installing stock firmware.

The misoperations within WebIF you have observed are nothing to do with the CF in flash - WebIF etc is installed on and run from HDD. If you want to refresh the WebIF: RMA, cancel RMA, run the WebIF installation from a web access.

However, you do not appear to have done the obvious: run a disk check.

Thanks @Black Hole - Sorry I didn't mention that I ran a long fixdisk early on and all was okay.
I am not sure what I suspect but will try a RMA, etc as per your suggestion.

@prpr When clicking on the buttons that are okay the page is displayed almost immediately. When clicking on Settings or Diag the 'circle' keeps rotating ad infinitum.

I bit the bullet and did a RMA, system flush and installed 1.03.12. Still the same problem.
Reinstalled CFW and WebIf. I have noticed in the startup logs (boot and modinit) that the initial time is set to June 1993 and it takes a while (not sure how long) to set the correct date and time. I have installed ntpclient.
Please see attached text file.
Auto processing is not working when the box wakes up at 04:10 with a reminder and, after the initial contact with RS at 04:08, nothing is recorded in the log (eg, disk update, channel update, etc).
When turned on the updates work and auto processing starts working (I decrypt everything).

Don't know what this all means, is the clock problem a cause or effect ?

Attachments

• Examples.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 4
Micom refers to the front panel, which handles the system wake-up and includes a clock and the remote control receiver. When you set up a scheduled recording and put the machine into Standby, the system programs Micom with a wake-up time calculated to allow for the limited changes that the broadcaster is permitted to make to EPG events; after completing active housekeeping, the rest of the system is powered off.

The system acquires its time from the broadcast stream without any need for ntpclient (which becomes relevant for a network media player configuration with no aerial) and is supposed to update the Micom clock on Standby.

If the Micom timestamp is not being set correctly, try this.

I tried the hwctl command and received this:
HumaxTwo# hwctl -d 3 ^'data +%s'
Time: 0
05 05 03 00 00 00 00 08
06 01 03 04
COMMAND: 3
DATALEN: 0
CHECKSUM: 4 (=4) OK

HumaxTwo#

That was actually 'date', not 'data'?

Anyway the test is the boot.log after restarting.

Had to reset the Micom timestamp again this morning.
As I am still getting the initial problem (No Programmes...) I think I will have to put up with these problems until the box finally dies. It's a real shame as there does not seem to be a good replacement out there.
Very happy though that my other box is behaving impeccably.

Back