No response to some remote butons (only under certain conditions)

greeny12m

I've got a really strange problem. Yesterday my Humax HDR fox-t2 stopped pausing live TV. The pause button on the remote works, it even paused iPlayer, just not live TV. I figured I would upgrade to a new firmware and see if that fixed it.
Now the problem is compounded, not only does the pause button not work but I cant even get to iPlayer as the 2 button results in no effect when TV Portal -> red button is pressed. The 2 button successfully changes channel, and if the web based remote has a similar problem.

Anyone know what could be the problem?

Not pausing live TV is a known bug - it happens if you select the current channel twice (try viewing BBC1 and then pressing button 1 - you will not then be able to pause the timeshift buffer). You also cannot pause live TV within 30 seconds of changing the channel, but that's not a bug.

TV Portal >> Red sounds like you are using the custom portal-xtra1 package. If you have updated the standard firmware to 1.03.06, you have inadvertently made the custom portal incompatible with it because the 1.03.06 firmware includes a new browser engine. If you have indeed installed 1.03.06, you need to remove portal-xtra1 and install new-portal.

Are you sure you want 1.03.06? See Things Every... (click) section 1.

This doesn't seem to be the problem, though I have noticed that I have only about 1GB space left, It seems to be taking a very long time to delete things, I'll leave it deleting throughout today. I realise that this could well be the reason for lack of timeshift, but could it also be the reason for the TV portal not working? no options are available through it.

The timeshift buffer is not in the same disk space as the recordings.

If you are not using the custom portal, then what do you expect TV Portal >> Red to do?

I assume by custom portal you mean the default portal on the custom firmware? TV Portal button gives a selection of menus at the bottom of the screen which are then accessible through the coloured buttons. Red is labelled Humax (I think, I am at work now) and gives options like 1. Original Humax portal, 2. BBC iPlayer.... etc.

As Black Hole says on the second post if you have installed custom software 1.03.06 you have to delete portal-xtra1 and custom portal if you have that installed with the new portal else the interactive won't work. It's easy to upgrade and miss that you have to tidy up the portals when you shift to 1.03.06. I did and had this problem. It needs bringing out more prominently in the documentation.

I assume by custom portal you mean the default portal on the custom firmware? TV Portal button gives a selection of menus at the bottom of the screen which are then accessible through the coloured buttons. Red is labelled Humax (I think, I am at work now) and gives options like 1. Original Humax portal, 2. BBC iPlayer.... etc.
There is no default portal on the custom firmware, it is only installed if you decide to do so. Yes, if you get coloured options along the bottom of the screen you have installed one of the custom portals, probably portal-xtra1. If you have installed 1.03.06 it won't work.

Ok brilliant, thanks, I don't think I saw that in the documentation (i.e. I didn't read it closely enough), I'll have a look at deleting the custom portals when I get home this evening. I guess this is not the problem for the timeshift not working though?

I believe you said that you had only 1GB of space left on the disk.
Recording programs takes approximately 1GB per hour for SD and 4GB for HD.
As the live tracking feature keeps up to 2 hours of current TV program ...
I leave you to do the Maths.
Obviously when you change channel the live recording starts again.

So disk space should not be an issue with timeshifting.... I wonder what is causing the box to suddenly stop responding to the command to pause live TV, I would expect some sort of error message if there was something common happening, maybe I should revert to a standard firmware?

But on the other hand, lack of disk space will make all manner of other OS operations very labourious. Not advisable.

Feels like a wiki, in my day we only had punched tape and problem was when it ran out... well volumes would be drives when you physically locked a removeable volume into a drive of a main frame computer. So the volume was a physical enterty of the storage not a software driven division. Thus I think partition is more appropriate terminology.

The disk pack was the volume. If you check your wiki the Unix volume is accessed via a "mount" e.g. they are using physical metaphors for a drives better called a partition.

I use to operate these things since any self respecting researcher in the 70s would also have the ability to be a computer operator as well as programming. But then on the other hand it was always nice to have a younger man running around for you if possible. But a treat to circumvent this with the remote operators console but then you'd have to pick up the phone in the corner to speak to the young man to get that volume changed or what have you. Such flirtations of the work. Poor operators became a thing of the past.

End of computer science history lesson.

:confused:

Linux doesn't call them partitions. That's why I didn't (the Humax is based on Linux, and I've been criticised for talking about partitions before - you can't have it both ways!).

Linux doesn't call them partitions.
I'm on Ubuntu and use GParted for hard drive "fiddling", that seems to call them partitions, though I guess maybe you mean at a system level they aren't referred to as partitions, rather different mount points?

Back