No signal on tuners 2 and 3

81Kerry81

I’m having issues with my HD channel signal with it intermittently pixelating and they sometimes fail to record due to signal issues. In doing some troubleshooting, I’ve tried recording two channels (1 and 3) and watching another (11) and the signal shows for all three as around 50%. When recording 101 and 102, and watching 103, the tuner signal only shows on one channel. Are the two things related? Either way, any help would be welcome!

When recording 101 and 102, and watching 103, the tuner signal only shows on one channel. Are the two things related?
No, they are not related.
101, 102 and 103 are all transmitted on the same frequency and therefore only need a single tuner. The other two tuners will not be active if they do not need to be used.
This is why one of the FAQs on another site ( https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/only-one-tuner-indicating-strengthquality-reading) suggest using channels 1, 3 and 11 to help check that the tuners themselves look OK.

I’ve tried recording two channels (1 and 3) and watching another (11) and the signal shows for all three as around 50%.
Is that signal strength, or signal quality?

any help would be welcome!
From your other posts is it the situation that the reception used to be OK but it is only after a recent retune that the issues started?

Thanks for your reply! The 50% was signal strength.
Yes, the reception used to be ok, but I had building work done and had to take the tv out of the room. Upon re-tuning a couple of weeks ago (which I’ve tried a couple of times since too), I’ve been experiencing the issues.

Yes, the reception used to be ok, but I had building work done and had to take the tv out of the room. Upon re-tuning a couple of weeks ago (which I’ve tried a couple of times since too), I’ve been experiencing the issues.
Start by carefully checking the cables for kinks or poorly made joints.

You've only swapped the cable from the wall to the Humax. What you've not done is confirm the aerial is still intact and pointing in the right direction, and check the downlink from the aerial to the wall plate. "Having builders in" is too much of a red flag to ignore.

Upon re-tuning a couple of weeks ago
That comment raises a red flag for me!
Is that an automatic retune or a manual one? There is always the possibility with an automatic retune that one or more multiplexes have been tuned into the wrong transmitter. It might be worth checking on the Freeview site that you are tuned in to the correct transmitter. Go to the Freeview Help page. About one screen down is "Check Freeview at my home". Enter your details and click check. Near the bottom of the results page is a "Detailed View" button. Click this and you will get transmitter details for your location. Compare the BBC B HD UHF channel with that reported on the Humax tuner signal test when watching 101, 102 or 103. If they are different you may need to do a manual retune.

You've only swapped the cable from the wall to the Humax. What you've not done is confirm the aerial is still intact and pointing in the right direction, and check the downlink from the aerial to the wall plate. "Having builders in" is too much of a red flag to ignore.
I only had internal work done so the aerial is still intact, and an electrician has checked the wiring from the aerial to wall plate.

So it seems extremely likely that there's the problem then. Why didn't you say that at post #3?
I’m a complete novice when it comes to all this so I didn’t mention it because I wasn’t asked and didn’t realise it was relevant. Apologies.

Just thinking out loud, and looking for support, but could it be that Kerry has a loft/masthead amp that is powered from the TV and the new faceplate is isolating the DC? (Can TVs power MHAs?)

More likely is that the coax hasn't been correctly connected in the faceplate.

I’m a complete novice when it comes to all this so I didn’t mention it because I wasn’t asked and didn’t realise it was relevant.
No need to apologise. There is an art to asking questions on-line. People who take the trouble to provide as much background information about the problem tend to be the people who are given a solution most quickly. When something was working and now it isn't, it really helps to think carefully about what has changed and to describe the changes.

Back