"No signal or the signal is too weak"

DrMopp

My 1100S has on a couple of occasions a week or so apart displayed this message - the TV screen goes blank, sound is lost and the message appears at the top of the screen in a white box for a few seconds, the TV then returns to normal for a few seconds, then the blank screen & message again. This cycle continues, and only power cycling the box returns it to normal. More than one channel is affected, but not all. There has been no change to the signal connections, nor is any required to return the box to normal operation. Is this likely to be a hardware fault?

I suspect a intermittent lnb problem assuming the weather was normal at the time of the lost signal (heavy rain can knock out reception especially with a smaller dish and less than perfect alignment). Can you access the dish to swap the LNB ?

I suspect a intermittent lnb problem assuming the weather was normal at the time of the lost signal (heavy rain can knock out reception especially with a smaller dish and less than perfect alignment). Can you access the dish to swap the LNB ?

No, can't touch the LNB at all as it's a communal dish serving 8 apartments in the block. Only just replaced a Foxsat HDR though and that never had any problems, although obviously the LNB fault could be a new one. Why do you suspect the LNB? Power cycling the box wouldn't "cure" it if it were that would it?

No, can't touch the LNB at all as it's a communal dish serving 8 apartments in the block. Only just replaced a Foxsat HDR though and that never had any problems, although obviously the LNB fault could be a new one. Why do you suspect the LNB? Power cycling the box wouldn't "cure" it if it were that would it?

Assuming you had your own dish then yes power cycling it could let the lnb cool down a bit. In your case the issue could be down to a fault on the multiswitch. In this event you may need the help of whoever is responsible for your communal services. Check your cabling carefully for a whisker of screen touching the centre core. This could cause the box lnb power ovecurrent protection to trip (turning it off will reset the lnb power). Have you asked your neighbours if they experience similar ? Can you try another satellite box (old Sky box, your old Foxsat etc) to see if it happens again. Intermittent problems like this are hard to find, often substitution is the easiest way.

I realise this is a different situation, but could HDMI interference affect the satellite IF?

In which case, the OP could check whether the satellite coax and the HDMI lead are in close proximity and can be routed further apart; and whether the leads are broken or of poor quality to encourage interference from the HDMI into the satellite feed.

He hasn't got Sky Q. Never seen a case of HDMI affecting Ku band kit, only UHF Mux. The IF used on Ku-Band is above the top of the UHF band.

Back