No Subtitles after editing .TS

rew45

After editing a .TS from the HDR-FOX T2 with VideoRedo, both VLC and MediaInfo show that english subtitles are still present, but the Humax refuses to display them, ie it will not toggle from 'Off' to 'English' on pressing Sub. The same happens when playing back an (unedited) .TS recorded on my old Humax 9200. AV2HDR T2 is of no assistance, since it just strips subtitles off.

Is there any known workflow which allows display of the subtitles on the HDR-FOX T2 after editing?

Just a guess: the .hmt file informs the HDR about the properties of a .ts, it does not seem to be able to work them out for itself. Editing the .ts will have made the .htm invalid. AV2HDR might help?

Just a guess: the .hmt file informs the HDR about the properties of a .ts, it does not seem to be able to work them out for itself. Editing the .ts will have made the .htm invalid. AV2HDR might help?
I'm not using a .hmt, as you say, it wouldn't be valid. And AV2HDR strips all subtitles off the remuxed .ts, so that's no help. I don't think it would be valid to generate a .hmt with AV2HDR, and then rename the original .ts as the remuxed AV2HDR output, as the offsets almost certainly wouldn't match. But thanks for the suggestion. (Edit: I just tried the above bodge, the Hummy had a hissy fit and refused to play)

The Humax will not display subtitles embedded in a ts file unless accompanied by the correct hmt and nts files. It might work if you create an external srt subtitles file (works with mp4 but not tried with ts). Alternatively, install the custom firmware and do the editing on the humax itself (won't help with recordings transferred from the 9200 though).

Thanks for the tip regarding the CF, I haven't installed that yet, the machine is new and I'm establishing the level of unreliability with the standard firmware :cool: Thanks also for the SRT suggestion, I will try that next.

(Edit) How did you use the SRT file with an MP4, to play back on the Humax? Do you have to somehow encode the subtitles into the MP4, or is there a way to get the Humax to recognise and use the .SRT file?

How did you use the SRT file with an MP4, to play back on the Humax? Do you have to somehow encode the subtitles into the MP4, or is there a way to get the Humax to recognise and use the .SRT file?
The Humax looks for a separate SRT file with the same name as the MP4 file you are playing. You do not need to touch the mp4 file for it to work. Press SUB on the remote to display subtitles and OPT+ to change the subtitle options.

Back