No Subtitles on HD-Fox T2 on playback from HDR-Fox T2

Room101

Hello and thanks for reading.
If I play files on the HDR-Fox T2 the subtitles are visible.
If I play the same files from the pvr, across a wireless network to my HD-Fox T2 in the bedroom, the subtitles do not appear.
My HD handset does not allow me to select subtitles.

Also any thoughts on the RM-F04 remote developing a fault whereby some of the buttons cease to work.
Removing the batteries, exhausing the residual voltage by pushing the PVR or TV button seems to clear the fault, but only for a time as the fault returns.
The keypads are clean.

Handset: have you tried fresh batteries?

Regarding your subtitling problem, the DLNA streaming doesn't support it. If you wish to play recordings from the HDR-FOX on the HD-FOX exactly as if they were being played locally:
  1. Install custom firmware on HDR and HD;
  2. Install samba on the HDR and network-shares-automount on the HD;
  3. Install auto-unprotect and unencrypt on the HDR.
The result will be that the HDR contents can be browsed and played (and moved, deleted, etc) from the Media >> Storage (blue) >> USB menu just as if they were on a local drive. This is how I have things arranged on my own setup.

Alternatively, without any custom firmware involved, you can use a USB stick/drive and walk the recordings across physically, but this will only work for StDef.

Thanks Black Hole for the quick response.

Yes the batteries have been changed several times in the RM-F04.
I suspect that there is something wrong with the firmware and perhaps the only answer would be to replace the unit, with a new original or alternative.
Although the HDR-FOX is new, I purchased the HD-FOX 2nd user, so I would not be keen to purchase a 2nd hand RM-F04.

As regards the subtitle 'problem', thanks for suggesting a way around it.
As I'm new to this equipment, I will have to do some research on the installations that are required; but that's all part of the fun of it.
Again many thanks.....

As you say your keypads are clean, I'm guessing you have already taken the Remote apart. One possible cause for some buttons not to work could be that the conductive rubber used in the keys has gone high resistance, it is possible to fix this by attaching aluminium foil to the underside of the key. Take a look at the 'Repair' section of the Disassembly instructions HERE

Thanks Ezra Pound for the information.
Yes the pads are clean; it is always the 'exact' same buttons that do not work when the fault occurs.
I had already checked the 'repair' section.

I have a niggling feeling that it is a certain sequence of button presses that instigates the fault, but I cannot be certain.
Next time it happens, I will take a note of the faulty buttons, and post the results here.

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.

Black Hole,
I installed CF and all the other file packages on the HDR and the HD as instructed by you.
Whilst I have control of all files on the USB stick using the OPT+ Function, this OPT+ function disappears on switching from USB to NETWORK and then selecting HDR Server.
I only use the USB stick (2GB) as media to support CF and the various packages.
The SUB button on the HD remote is still inactive when viewing the list of recorded programmes of the HDR.

Please advise if there is anything else I can do to overcome the problem.

As regards the RM-F04 handset, with the lockup fault, it eventually packed in altogether and I have since purchased a new one.
Best regards
Mac

The Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network option lists media accessible for streaming by DLNA. Read post 2 again.

Unless I am missing something (maybe I am at my age) but I only have the OPT+ icon when USB is selected from the Storage button.
Yes, at this stage I have the usual Delete, Sort, Lock, Unlock etc choices for files on the USB drive, not the HDR contents.
I have a drive1 in the USB selection with 9 files in 5 folders, but nothing related to the HDR contents.
To access the HDR files, I select NETWORK instead of USB under Storage.
On highlighting NETWORK having deselected USB , I then have the choice of selecting HDR-Fox T2 Media Server.
At this point the OPT+ icon disappears off screen; I can see the programmes that I have recorded on the HDR, but I am unable to do anything with these files apart from playing them by selecting one of the files and pressing OK.
I must be doing something wrong, because I am unable to manipulate the HDR contents as you suggest below;

"The result will be that the HDR contents can be browsed and played (and moved, deleted, etc) from the Media >> Storage (blue) >> USB menu just as if they were on a local drive. This is how I have things arranged on my own setup."

I can browse and play the HDR contents as you have suggested, but that's about it (no moving, deleting etc.)
My HDR files are not available for selection on the USB menu, they are on the NETWORK menu.
Apologies if I have not explained myself correctly.
I can reload the CF again and the other packages to see if that might help, using another memory stick.

It sounds likes the HDR-FOX partition is not mounted as a network share: you only have access by DLNA. In addition to installing Samba and network shares automount, you also need to configure the Samba share on the host machine or it won't work. This requires inputting the remote machine's IP address on the host HD-FOX. For what you want (viewing programmes recorded on the HDR-FOX on your HD-FOX) it is simpler to install and configure the Foxlink package on your HD-FOX. Instructions for that are here.

To summarise what you need to do:

On the HDR-FOX. Content share needs to be turned on: you have already done this or the DLNA server would not be working. Your content needs to be decrypted to be viewed on the remote machine. I recommend uninstalling the unencrypt package if you have it: the best way is to set up auto-decryption through the Web-If interface. Install the auto-unprotect package. In Web-If, flag the 'My Video' folder for recursive autodecrypt. While the unit is on, your files will gradually be decrypted. This can take some time if you have a lot of programmes. If you don't want to decrypt everything, create a folder under 'My Video' place anything you want decrypted in there and flag this folder for recursive auto-decrypt instead. Finally, install the nfs-utils package.

On the HD-FOX. Install the Foxlink package. In Settings>Foxlink Settings (Web-If) give the remote machine a name (default = HDR) and input the IP address of the HDR-FOX. Then click the update button.

When this is all done if you turn on your HD-FOX, while your HDR-FOX is also on, and press the media button on the remote. You will see the local drive (drive1) and the remote folder (may take 30 seconds or so to appear). You should then be able to play decrypted content from the remote machine like it is stored locally.

Unless I am missing something (maybe I am at my age) but I only have the OPT+ icon when USB is selected from the Storage button.
Correct, and if you followed my information from post 2 you would find the HDR-FOX listed as a USB device. The instructions in post 2 were not exhaustive, you would need to follow (in particular) the set-up instructions for network-shares-automount that are available in the Wiki or in the relevant custom firmware forum topic (I did not repeat it all here, first because I dislike repeating information and second because this is not the custom firmware section of the forum).

MontysEvilTwin has provided an alternative way of achieving the same thing.

Hi guys
Many thanks for all the help to date.
Yes Black Hole, that's where I'm coming unstuck; I am not seeing my HDR as a USB device.
So I am taking both your comments and MontyEvilTwins on board and studying all aspects of the set up.
You blokes are well clued up on the subject, but I'm not genned up by any means, so I need to walk before I can run.
I'll give it a go and see how I get on.
I'm Three Score Years and Ten +, so grey matter maybe not just as sharp as it used to be.

Best of luck with it. All the steps you need are in my post (#9). I would break it down into stages:

On the HDR-FOX:

In Web-If>Package Management install the auto-unprotect and nfs-utils packages. Using the remote control, on the unit itself, go into settings>internet settings>configure LAN and note down the IP address. This will be something like 192.168.x.x (x is a number).

On the HD-FOX:

In Web-If>Package Management install the foxlink package. In Web-If>Settings>Foxlink settings input the IP address you noted above and click on the update button.

Once this is done (you might have to reboot, I'm not sure) on the HD-FOX you should see a folder called HDR in the USB section. Open this to access the remote files.

You will then need to follow the steps in my previous post to start decrypting the content on the HDR-FOX.

Thanks for the update MontyEvilTwin.
I am on a learning curve at present and trying to research everything as much as possible by reading etc., without annoying learned guys like you and Black Hole about things basic.
I am enjoying the challenge and the rewards from that.

I started to assemble things late last night based on your instructions, but Foxlink is not listed under the Package Management-Available Folder for the HD-FOX, although it is for the HDR-FOX, and is now installed on the HDR-FOX.
Are packages taken off line from time to time, if the guys are working on them?
Or is there some other reason perhaps dependent upon what state my HD-FOX is in.
Anyhow Foxlink is only installed on the HDR-FOX at present.

But the main thing is, I'm getting there!
Regards
Ivor

You probably need this on the HD-Fox.

Web-if >> Settings >> Advanced Settings >> Show development and advanced packages = Yes

Foxlink should then show.

IIRC foxlink has server and client modes (to make things easy for the novice), and it was difficult to make it act as a client on an HDR-FOX (which is not what is needed here anyway). This removes the need to install nfs-utils separately.

[Edited] I will make foxlink a package that you install on both devices rather than users having to find several packages by hand.

IIRC foxlink has server and client modes (to make things easy for the novice), and it was difficult to make it act as a client on an HDR-FOX (which is not what is needed here anyway). This removes the need to install nfs-utils separately.
It is a while since I have used Foxlink. The wiki still says to install nfs-utils on the HDR-FOX (server end). The wiki page for Foxlink was last updated about a year ago. Perhaps af123 or Ezra could clarify the current status.

OK guys, thanks, I have uninstalled Foxlink from the HDR-FOX; I thought Foxlink needed to be running at both ends of the link.
I have set all up as far as I know, having just flagged My Video folder for recursive autodecrypt.
Not sure when to expect results.
I did a bit of reading/searching and found out about using encsummary in diagnostics and it tells me that none of the encrypted files have been decrypted yet.
Maybe I have to wait a while; I'll leave it running overnight and check back in the morning.

MontysEvilTwin : The wiki still says to install nfs-utils on the HDR-FOX (server end). The wiki page for Foxlink was last updated about a year ago. Perhaps af123 or Ezra could clarify the current status.
The Wiki page was built from the text in this Foxlink thread :-
http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/foxlink-simple-way-to-link-a-hd-to-a-hdr.2974/
The af123 reference in #16 above is from #7 of the Foxlink thread, as far as I know the instruction to install nfs-utils is still current

@Ezra Pound. Thanks for the clarification.

@Room101. Make sure that content share is switched on on the HDR-FOX: it should be as you already use DLNA sharing. The HDR-FOX needs to be fully on (out of standby) for decryption to work. The decryption events are logged in the auto.log file (Web-If>Diagnostics). I also recommend installing the undelete package; the original files will be moved into a deleted items folder, for later deletion, when a programme is decrypted. In the unlikely event of decrypted file being corrupted you can retrieve the original.

With Foxlink installed and configured on the HD-FOX (and nfs-utils installed and running on the HDR-FOX) you should see the contents of the HDR-FOX on the HD-FOX, mounted as a USB drive, even if the files are still encrypted.

Back