No Tuner 1 At All?

yessi

hello all,

Just picked up a satellite dish and Humax HB-1000s from a local off gumtree.

I've scoped the area and now mounted the satellite dish on the back of the house in line with neighbours, I've purchased new cables with F connectors and a Sat Finder from screwfix....

I have factory reset the receiver, however when I start the initial setup it only says searching for Satellites... there is no mention of Tuner 1.... it continues to search until it eventually throws up no signal found errors.

Am I right in thinking if the box doesn't recognise Tuner 1, then the most likely fault in the LNB?

I have changed all cables, tried with / without the sat finder and still brings up a whole lot of nothing.

The sat finder itself I am some what skeptical about as moving the satelittle doesn't make it louder or quieter when I have turned it up so it is sitting on half gauge.

The sat finder itself I am some what skeptical about as moving the satelittle doesn't make it louder or quieter when I have turned it up so it is sitting on half gauge.
Then you are not using it correctly. Set it to about half scale and then move the dish until you get an increase. Once you have an increase, then 'fine tune' its position in azimuth and elevation for maximum, backing off the meter's sensitivity as required If the dish is the oval type Sky dish, then set up the elevation so that the dish itself looks about vertical when viewed from the side to start with. Incidentally, you don't move the satellite, you move the dish.:roflmao:
Am I right in thinking if the box doesn't recognise Tuner 1, then the most likely fault in the LNB?
Not necessarily. Get your dish pointed correctly then have another go at tuning. Note: If you point your dish too far towards the south, you will pick up the strong sats at 19.2E. The ones you want are at 28.2E (assuming that you want Freesat).

Use the Dishpointer site, plug in your location and get the azimuth, elevation and skew figures for Astra 2E, F and G at 28.2E

Thanks for your reply,

Well that's what I mean about the sat finder, I turn the dial until it reads around 5 out of 10.... move slowly, before you know it I have turned a full 180 degrees with no difference in pitch.

The dial needs to be turned quite considerably to get any movement of the needle.

Do I do this prior to the initial setup screen or during the setup where the device is looking for satellites.

I have used both the sat finder and a sat finder app and it is pointing roughly the right way and is pretty much vertical, yet no fine tuning can be completed and no signal shows on the receiver.

Until you get some sort of signal showing on the meter, there is no point whatsoever in trying to tune the box.
The aim of the dish is pretty critical. Are you sure that you ARE pointing it in approximately the right direction to start with. What satfinder app are you using? Does it give augmented reality, using the phone's camera to show you whre the sat is?
You need to move the dish slowly. If you swing it through the sat's az and don't pick anything up, then alter it a bit (about 1 -2 degrees) in elevation and try the azimuth swing again.
Do I do this prior to the initial setup screen or during the setup where the device is looking for satellites.
The box does not look for satellites. You have to point the dish at a sat, the box then 'looks for' transponders being transmitted by that satellite.

Last edited:
I do get a reading on the sat finder device after turning it up quite considerably, I leave it around 5 out of 10 and then hope for a bit of movement when I move the device but literally nothing.

The app that we was using is dish align one, it doesn't have augmented reality but has a digital compass that beeps like the sat finder device when the angle matches closer.

May I also state that I have tried all four connections on the quad LNB.

I do get a reading on the sat finder device after turning it up quite considerably, I leave it around 5 out of 10 and then hope for a bit of movement when I move the device but literally nothing.
That's the normal mode of operation for the el cheapo sat finders, but you don't move the device, you move the dish.;) Once you get a signal, you will have to turn the sat finder sensitivity down a lot to be able to 'peak' the signal.
I suspect that you are either moving the dish too quickly (most likely) or the LNB is zift. When a dish is correctly aligned, you only have to move it a smidgen and you loose all signals from the sat.

Aha you know what I mean! Yea it's the dish I move don't worry I've got that one covered :thumbsup:.

What gets me is the sat finder sits on 5 and just doesn't move.... If I run the device whilst doing the initial setup where the receiver is searching for signals the sat finder peaks and falls by itself, not sure if this is normal when the device isn't moving? It's like it's pulsing.

Aha you know what I mean! Yea it's the dish I move don't worry I've got that one covered :thumbsup:.
That's good
What gets me is the sat finder sits on 5 and just doesn't move.
When it picks up a sat, it will increase quite dramatically to FSD and need 'turning down' quite a bit if it's like my el-cheapo.
If I run the device whilst doing the initial setup where the receiver is searching for signals the sat finder peaks and falls by itself, not sure if this is normal when the device isn't moving? It's like it's pulsing.
Not seen that, but as the receiver tunes, it changes the DC level being fed to thr LNB from about 13V to 18V to switch between Vertical and Horizontal polarisation.

Why do you keep calling different things 'the device'? Call them by their names 'dish', 'box' etc .
Presumably you meant 'the box' and 'the dish' respectively in the above post?

Last edited:
I may do a little video in a moment when I try again for the hundredth time.

Maybe you will be able to see where I am going wrong.

Not that I have any practical experience of satellite TV receiver systems, but it sounds to me like either you have never got the dish pointing sufficiently close to a satellite to register a signal, the LNB is buggered, the cable is buggered, or the receiver isn't powering the LNB.

Thanks for your input.

I have thought of most of these points, I bought brand new cables with f type ends to get rid of a broken cable issue.

The satellite I am pretty certain, albeit it not exactly correct it's the right direction with the right elevation, the only issue is the sat finder device doesn't appear to be useful at all.

LNB, it is already skewed slightly from the person I collected it from so hoping that is set right as well.

You mean the arm is bent? That would put the receiver off from the dish focus, so could well be your problem if that is the case.

No the LNB is turned slightly, rotational skew.

Il get some pictures up in a moment when the rain stops, today is the day I am sure of it I get this thing working!

Okay so first thing first here is the box i have... a HB-1000s.

sdR28a7.jpg

As you can see wire in the back.

Lw4hGV0.jpg

Connecting the receiver to the sat finder device.
6bTGnUk.jpg

dmnjBxV.jpg

The satellite dish...

fk7q8Vv.jpg

iA90aVE.jpg

ZzXASEo.jpg

czyPlDQ.jpg

Connecting the dish to the sat finder device.

EOZNtqF.jpg

dc63oP5.jpg

This is me gauging the rough location of the satellite, i did this next to the device from different angles on the device, i.e phone on the arm, in front etccc and using multiple different apps.
ZWnUw0Y.jpg

After everything is plugged in, with the power being plugged in last i am left with this.
WVtYER9.jpg

Once i turn the dial, quite a bit of the sat finder device the needle reaches half way.
XXpIECw.jpg

After turning on the box i see this... now i did reset the box completely but watched on demand last night.
rMG08vk.jpg

Now do i do a factory reset and let it try and find a satellite then? From previous tries the receiver peaks and falls whilst it is doing this test.?

What would you suggest?

Okay... so after doing all the above.... it appears today to be working.

Not to sure why it didn't work yesterday but it finally found the satellite!

Thanks all for your support it really was a massive help!

Once you have a sat signal on the sat meter, flex the dish a bit to see if the sig goes up. Flex it up/down/L/R.
Look for somewhere about 50-90% sig level but with 100% quality on the box.

I reckon those unused LNB ports could do with covers. Satellite users: is that normal practice?

Bit of grease on them and the one in use and pull down the LNB shroud to shield them from the weather.

You should have self-amalg. on any external connection that is liable to get wet - er, that's all of them!
I would have covers and self amalg. on the unused ports.

Back