Noisy Hard Drive

There is a range of reported "audibility", but we have to acknowledge there are moving parts and it is hardly surprising if they are audible in a quiet environment. Most people find the fan more intrusive than the hard drive (unless it's faulty), but the fan only kicks in periodically and it doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about at the moment.

The box is recording all the time it is out of stand-by - to the time shift buffer. That means that when it starts a scheduled recording it has to seek between two places on the disk and the volume goes up substantially. I've had it recording three and playing back two!
I've posted elsewhere that I returned my box (# 63 710530600450) shortly after purchase because the i/o noise on the HDD was unacceptably high and was annoyingly distracting when one channel was being recorded while watching another programme, especially if that programme contained relatively quiet periods. I received a replacement (with a lower batch serial number - 7104) by courier (a really good service by the way) and hey presto! - there was no i/o HDD noise audible on the new machine, no matter how many channels I was recording or whether I was watching or recording HD. A couple of days ago, the replacement machine started turning off randomly with "Power Saving" coming up. This would occur without any input from me using the remote and could occur a few minutes after turning on, to an hour or two after. So I returned this box to the supplier and was given a brand new one with a batch serial number of 7105 - similar to the first one. You have probably guessed it, this one has the same very noisy i/o HDD problem that the first one had. I'm wondering if the batch of 7105 machines has a common fault?

Where is the serial no.? My box is very noisy at times (not all the time, which suggests it may be the fan rather than disk activity). I'll see if I have a 7105 machine too.

Also getting occaisional blank screens with "This channel is not running or scrambled" when watching a live programme that has been paused.

Where is the serial no.? My box is very noisy at times (not all the time, which suggests it may be the fan rather than disk activity). I'll see if I have a 7105 machine too.

Also getting occaisional blank screens with "This channel is not running or scrambled" when watching a live programme that has been paused.
Mine is on a white label underneath and towards the rear of the box - if you turn the HDR over you can't miss it. If you still have the original packing box, you'll find it on there too. The full serial number is 14 digits long and starts with 63, usually followed by 710 then 3, 4 or 5 then eight more digits. On the top outside of the packing box you'll find the 14 digit serial number and possibly a seven digit number which is an abbreviated serial number starting with the 710 part. Hope this helps. By the way, there is a separate thread running on http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/humax-faults-v-serial-number.688/ if you want to look at other aspects of this topic.

Back