Noisy HDD

martinsetal

I'd like to swap my noisy hard drive with a replacement, How do I do this and I'm presuming that if I create an image of the noisy one and restore image to a new drive I should be OK?
Has anyone any tips about disassembly, please?

Disk "imaging" usually makes assumptions about the file system - otherwise only a binary image would suffice and that would be a very large file! There's every likelihood the disk is not formatted NTFS or anything you might be familiar with in the Windows world.

Replacing a disk is probably just a case of fitting it and letting the system initialise it, but that does not restore existing content. If you are desperate to keep that, my recommendation is sound-proofing rather than replacement. Simply standing the unit on a rubber mat might be enough.

Disk "imaging" usually makes assumptions about the file system - otherwise only a binary image would suffice and that would be a very large file! There's every likelihood the disk is not formatted NTFS or anything you might be familiar with in the Windows world.

Replacing a disk is probably just a case of fitting it and letting the system initialise it, but that does not restore existing content. If you are desperate to keep that, my recommendation is sound-proofing rather than replacement. Simply standing the unit on a rubber mat might be enough.

Thanks for your support. I hadn't any files that I wanted to keep so I just put in a replacement drive and the system did as you say initialised it. Job done. Many thanks!

Thanks for your support. I hadn't any files that I wanted to keep so I just put in a replacement drive and the system did as you say initialised it. Job done. Many thanks!
Which drive model did you replace it with? And what sort of difference did it make?

Sorry! after further checking the replacement drive allowed scheduling but the actual recordings were zero time and an error message (I think) was 'unrecognisable file format'
The noisy drive was a 500GB Seagate Video, 3.5" ST500VM000. I replaced it with a 500GB Western Digital Blue, 2.5" WD5000LPVX.
I'm now going to try a 500GB Seagate pipeline HD .2, 3.5" ST3500312CS.
please feel free to comment.

The noisy drive was a 500GB Seagate Video, 3.5" ST500VM000. I replaced it with a 500GB Western Digital Blue, 2.5" WD5000LPVX.
As a matter of interest, was it quieter? It isn't really the correct type of drive for a PVR but it will be interesting to hear how you get on with whatever hard drive you eventually choose.

Both HDD drives the 500GB Western Digital Blue, 2.5" WD5000LPVX. and a 500GB Seagate pipeline HD .2, 3.5" ST3500312CS. are now working fine!
Noise wise I have to mount one properly as I'm testing with the top off and just pushing drives into the HDD socket, with that set up the 2.5 WD is quiet but the new 3.5 Seagate is a slightly noisy but less than the original.
The solution to the non record and error message was that it's not good enough to inset new drive and use the factory reset with formatting. Once the factory reset has completed the setting option to format the drive separately must be done.

As a matter of interest, was it quieter? It isn't really the correct type of drive for a PVR but it will be interesting to hear how you get on with whatever hard drive you eventually choose.
As you suspected the 500GB Western Digital Blue, 2.5 is not suitable for the PVR. Several times now I turned the unit on from standby and my previous recordings are missing and the recorder doesn't record or pause a recording. Disconnecting the unit from the mains socket and switching back on gives full recording capability. I've been advised that the (WD Blue, laptop drive) is probably switching into standby or hibernation and the PVR isn't designed to re enable it.
I'll try the 500GB Seagate pipeline HD .2, 3.5" ST3500312CS and check that out

Oh dear, are we saying prpr got it wrong?
Yes, but I don't mind admitting it. Unlike you, who just tries to defend your errors.

Anyway, a disk that works well in a T2 will surely work just as well in a 5000, seeing as the application is the same.

Anyway, a disk that works well in a T2 will surely work just as well in a 5000, seeing as the application is the same.
Which is what I said in Post #15. I don't think it will be quieter but we wait for the OP to tell us what he has found.

Sorted! All good with the alternate 500GB Seagate pipeline HD .2, 3.5" ST3500312CS. My new drive is absolutely silent.
Regarding the original noisy issue reported. I wasn't descriptive enough! The noise was a really chunky sound very noticable not a low frequency hum from the drive.Thanks for your interest

Thanks to this thread I got a new HD for my mother's FVP-4000t (a 2TB WD purple) but I really need to back up the current content preferably over to the new drive. I have a new WD laptop HD, formatted by the Humax, attached by USB but when I try to copy a large number of files over (>5 1hr SD shows) it gives up after a few are copied (and takes quite a long time per episode - ALL SD content). Is the USB drive or the Humax going to sleep and failing to complete the copy?
Would it help to get a powered USB drive?
Could I replace the 500GB drive and then attach it via usb in a 3.5" powered case? Would the content files still be available?

Many thanks for any help on the above matter (either copying files or attaching the current drive via USB)

Back