Non Existent Files

AndyS

I have recently noticed that, viewing Files on the HDD of my HDR Fox T2, via file explorer there are 3 or 4 with odd truncated names. These are not available when the drive is viewed via WEBif. I am not able to delete or rename these files as they do not actually exist?

Any ideas on how to remove these entities from another dimension?
FoxHDR.png

These look like DOS short file names (8.3 format). Have you copied them to the Humax from a PC?
Are you sure they don't exist?
It appears you maybe using the Customised Firmware. You should be able to able to telnet into the Humax and tidy up the files from there. See https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Custom_Firmware_Package_Notes#Telnet for further information - or wait for a CF guru to give a better reply.

Last edited:
I have recently noticed that, viewing Files on the HDD of my HDR Fox T2, via file explorer there are 3 or 4 with odd truncated names. These are not available when the drive is viewed via WEBif. I am not able to delete or rename these files as they do not actually exist?
What folder are they in?

At a guess the OP has the stupid windows default for file/windows explorer, hide known file extensions. Google turn off hide known file extensions in Windows xx.

In file explorer, hit the 'View' tab and tick 'File name extensions' and whilst there you might as well tick'Hidden items' as well. But be a bit circumspect with the delete button if you do the latter as they are invariably Windows system files of some sort or another.

That will solve the missing file extensions, but it doesn't explain the fallback to DOS filenames.

Any ideas on how to remove these entities from another dimension?
The files probably do exist, but they don't look like native recording files. They look like they might if you had imported MP4 files into the HDR-FOX and played them (the .hmi is a sidecar file generated by the HDR-FOX when a non-ts file is played).

You haven't mentioned what shows up in the HDR-FOX media list.

For an accurate view of what's on the disk, use FTP.

At a guess the OP has the stupid windows default for file/windows explorer, hide known file extensions.
I'm so used to NOT using that useless facility that I didn't spot the missing file extensions on the mp4 files (as Ezra has pointed out) :oops:. That could explain a lot.
but it doesn't explain the fallback to DOS filenames.
We don't know whether these files have DOS filenames on just on the "file explorer" view or on the Humax itself.
If it is just on the file explorer, then there ought to be some setting to correct this :rolling:. If these names are on the Humax, I suspect some program on the PC has corrupted the long filename before the files were moved to the Humax. (I know WinZip has a habit of screwing up archive names. I don't know if any other software does.)
For an accurate view of what's on the disk, use FTP.
A suggestion I should have made! I do this - but I don't have access to a Humax with CF.:(

They are in the Video folder with all th other saved programmes. They were, once, programmes/Iplayer files. in fact they were youTube videos.
They don't show up on the WebIf view just File Explorer.

Files created by the custom firmware from streamed content are in a .mp4 container also commonly files downloaded from Youtube also use .mp4. Because you have windows set to hide known file extensions (.mp4 is known) you can't see the extension but the file container type is identified. .HMI is not known to windows so you see it in Windows Explorer.

Here's a list of what compression codecs can be contained in file containers like .mp4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_container_formats

Basically someone has probably copied the files to the Video recording partition instead of the partition used for external content which is where they would have gone had you uploaded them using a usb mass storage device.

You would normally play back these on the box by switching to display external video content.

Last edited:
Back