Noob - Freeview HD Channels 'Scrambled'

Gorgo

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some help with this issue. For the last week or so my HD Channels have been on the blink. Some days they work fine but last Sunday they all came up with being Scrambled or 'No program being broadcast'.

This led me to a re-scan and then subsequently losing all HD Channels. Re-Scanned them the following day and they come back. Now again they were fine first thing this morning and then as I was watching they gone again, along with all the other channels. Come back this evening and the Standard channels work but not the HD.

I have updated to the latest firmware (although I see there is a new update next week) But still the same problem.

Anybody else had this issue? The only thing I have not yet done is a factory re-set.

Any ideas?

You need to make sure you have the correct transmitter tuned. Follow the manual tuning procedure referred HERE (click). See also notes in Things Every... section 2 (link in my signature panel).

And your best reception is definitely from Mendip? What are the signal and quality figures for the other multiplexes (48, 52, 54, 56, 61 - Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection)? You did remember to select DVB-T2 for the scan of C58 (not the others, they are DVB)?

Just double checked that I selected DVB-T2 and still nothing. I tried all the other possible channels and nothing. As for the rest;

C48 - strength 52% quality 100%
C52 - strength 55% quality 100%
C54 - strength 55% quality 100%
C61 - strength 55% quality 100%

I have had the HD channels fine since I go the box aug / sep so unsure what's changed unless the box is on the blink.

Right now, my signals from Mendip are:

48: 78/100
52: 76/100
54: 76/100
56: 72/100
58: 75/100
61: 75/100

There has been mention that interference coupled from the HDMI lead to the aerial cable can knock out the UHF reception, but I don't see why that would single out the HiDef mux. I would be inclined to go for a factory reset before trying anything else: Menu >> Settings >> Installation >> Factory Default (it will mean setting up all your preferences again, and retuning - an auto search will probably do you).

Factory restored it and now getting even less channels. 65 at last count. Just switched it off at the mains for 30 sec and re-scanning.

I have noticed also doing a manual search of C56 it doesn't always find the channels and may take up to 4/5 scans to find them

Is the any fluctuation in your signal strengths? Any dips below your reported 50%-ish (which is only just enough IMO)?

Is the any fluctuation in your signal strengths? Any dips below your reported 50%-ish (which is only just enough IMO)?
I will say again we worked for a considerable period of time with signal strength of below 30%. In my view 40% is a reasonable figure for minimum signal strength.

I have my HD-FOX tuned to Mynnydd Machen (Wenvoe relay) and this morning it is reporting 60% - and yet I get occasional (infrequent) drop-outs. One's opinions are formed by personal experience - I suspect 40% may well be fine if you have a geographic location where the propagation is stable, but I am on the main transatlantic air corridor (which may or may not have something to do with it).

It may be clutching at straws but I am trying to find a reason for the problem before concluding there is something wrong with the Humax.

Gorgo - can you take your Humax elsewhere and try it on another aerial? Particularly if that aerial is also Mendip, you will be able (hopefully) to tune it and then bring it back home to try in the tuned state. If that fails, considering it appears to be only the HiDef mux that is causing grief, I reluctantly conclude the Humax itself is the common factor.

Manual scanned again today and voila it's back. So intermittent it's almost painful. Thanks for the help though guys :)

Back