Oddity

Just logged into one of my T2s and saw this:

Recording M_A_S_H_20140611_1930
Playing /mnt/hd2/Tsr/0

What does the second line mean? I've never seen anything like it before.

For the record:

Web interface version: 1.0.14-8 (Lighttpd)
Custom firmware version: 2.23 (build 2035)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_1.03.12)

Fixed in 1.0.14-9

Many thanks for this and all your other efforts to make the machine usable. My first impression after moving to the HDR-Fox from the 9200 was that the designers must have been high on something when they came up with such an appalling user interface. Your work makes it much less of a pain to use.

That's odd, having had a brief look at a 9300 I realised how much more sophisticated the HDR-FOX is!

That's odd, having had a brief look at a 9300 I realised how much more sophisticated the HDR-FOX is!

It is, but some design decisions are beyond reason. Just one example: I usually make my reservations on a Friday, ahead of the Radio Times' starting schedule on Saturday. Say I reach Wednesday when I need to check the schedule, after which I use the back button to return to the epg. On the 9200, I would return to the same day and time on Wednesday. On the HDR-Fox, it goes back to the day (Friday) and time at which I first entered the epg, meaning another struggle with the slow scrolling to get back to the point I wanted. The same happens if I change the favourites group. This is insane.

Fortunately, the CF/Webif package allows me to avoid this by checking the schedule on the computer. But it shouldn't be necessary.

On the other hand there's no media list on the 9300 and you have to access existing recordings via the scheduler...

There is limited need to check the schedule on the HDR-FOX when scheduling new entries - the EPG shows where a recording is already scheduled, but I take your point - just about every UI has quirks, it's a case of getting used to and avoiding a different set of quirks each time (and I doubt they are design "decisions" - just what they ended up with when the software was declared ready because of the delivery deadline). No need to scroll a few days ahead, just use the >>| and |<< keys to skip 24 hours ( >> and << does 2 hours), but the slow updates can be avoided by returning the unit to 1.02.32 firmware.

The 9200 is an older model (the first twin tuner Freeview pvr from Humax). The 9150 and 9300 were later models with the 9300 having a hdmi socket. If I remember correctly only the 9200 was able to archive recordings to usb.

On the other hand there's no media list on the 9300 and you have to access existing recordings via the scheduler...
That's certainly one way of doing it, but it's much easier to just press the Play List button, which takes you straight to the Recorded Programme list.

You could use the Play List to see and play recordings in much the same way as the Media button on the Fox. The latter does have many more options, including folders and external drives, and scores over the 9200 by its ability to display a programme's information without having to start playing it first.

But I miss my 9200's Picture-in-Picture feature - I'm a news junkie and it was useful to follow a breaking story on two channels. I also miss the next best thing, using the Back button to switch back and forth between the two most recently tuned channels. I can't imagine why Humax didn't implement the latter on the Fox.

I get particularly annoyed by stupid design decisions. For example, it is necessary when manual tuning to tell the Fox whether a particular UHF channel is DVB-T or DVB-T2. Why? It's obviously capable of working it out for itself when autotuning. Fortunately, the latter works much better than it did on the 9200, so it's no longer necessary to tune manually. But the question remains.

Don't get me wrong: I bought my second Fox a week after I got the first and have honourably retired the 9200s. But the Fox could have been so much better than it is.

I also miss the next best thing, using the Back button to switch back and forth between the two most recently tuned channels. I can't imagine why Humax didn't implement the latter on the Fox.
Press the "i" button to bring up the "i plate" display, then the "BACK" button works.

Aren't two different units being discussed here? or are the 9200 and the 9300 the same thing?
I know, but I only have brief experience of the 9300 and presume its UI to be more advanced (or no worse) than the 9200. I found it primitive compared with the HDR-FOX.

Back