Beta Offline decryption utility

Look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_DES#Keying_options - keying option 2.
The relevant 56 bits of the first 8 bytes are K1, the second 8 bytes provide K2.
I'll have a read and see if I can make sense - thanks
I might be able to build a windows version given time but in the meantime, would you be willing to provide a small test recording for me to have a go at?
How big/small is enough?
Presumably you'd need MAC and serial number too?

1 minute would be fine.. should be around 25 MiB.... and yes, MAC address & serial number to check if the same algorithm is used on the 2000.

Well, it certainly isn't fast, but I'm adding decryption options to the web interface on the HD Fox T2. This is an hour-long recording from Dave ja vu.

Screenshot 2018-04-20 07.24.00.png

Well, it certainly isn't fast, but I'm adding decryption options to the web interface on the HD Fox T2.
Why only the HD-FOX WebIF? Albeit unlikely, it is possible for a HDR-FOX not to be configured to enable DLNA decryption.

Why only the HD-FOX WebIF? Albeit unlikely, it is possible for a HDR-FOX not to be configured to enable DLNA decryption.
Bad phrasing on my part. The web interface doesn't currently show the decrypt options on the HD model. I'm removing those restrictions and extending the decryption code at the backend to handle the direct method. I'm not intending to do automatic failback on the HDR though, but it will be possible to queue things for direct decryption using a sweeper rule for anyone who really wants to..

Me being dumb, but what's the difference/advantages of this system over the presently used and loved one?

Unless I'm completely missing the point - I think the idea is to be able to decrypt anything from one Humax Fox box on a PC or another box - if you know the MAC and serial number of the original box. Might be useful if box 1 packs up, but you have encrypted files on a usable disk that you can copy to box 2.
Unfortunately I'm not having much success trying the same on a 2000T. Either I'm being dumb (very likely), or the keys/method are not the same. I can't even get one packet to decrypt at present.

1. It can be used to recover recordings from dead boxes
  2. It is better for HD-Fox users
  3. It may decrypt recordings from other Humax boxes without customised firmware
  4. It doesn't require a network connection
  5. It can be run on a PC
It is not a replacement for current method on HDR-FOX T2 machines

Last edited:
Unless I'm completely missing the point - I think the idea is to be able to decrypt anything from one Humax Fox box on a PC or another box - if you know the MAC and serial number of the original box. Might be useful if box 1 packs up, but you have encrypted files on a usable disk that you can copy to box 2.
Unfortunately I'm not having much success trying the same on a 2000T. Either I'm being dumb (very likely), or the keys/method are not the same. I can't even get one packet to decrypt at present.
You would be better working with @af123 to build a windows version of stripts than attempting to do the decryption yourself

Just the encrypted version? And uploaded to where?
Missed this. You can FTP it to hummy.tv, anonymous login and place into the upload/ directory.
Or, just paste a packet here in hex and send the MAC/serial to me separately so I can see if the algorithm is the same.

Ideally, find a PAT packet as that should have repeating patterns in it, indicating that ECB is in use, and it will also reveal the block size.
PAT packets have PID = 0.

How are you trying to do it?

@af123: Have uploaded a short segment of "Escape to the Country" (StdDef, .ts + .hmt - just in case). Took photo of MAC & S/N sticker and uploaded that also. (Note, although I've uploaded - I can't see the files in the upload directory. Please let me know if they haven't arrived and I'll try plan B).

How are you trying to do it?
This is where I could be making a canine's lunch out of it.
First I recorded a short StdDef programme. I ftp'd a copy of the .ts file and also streamed another copy (ie. an encrypted and decrypted version of the same programme).
Using what I think is af123's method of generating the key, I knocked up a bodge Java program to read a packet - remove the 8 byte header and, using some Java encryption libraries, applied the relevant decryption to the 184 bytes remaining. Comparing with the decrypted version fails. However, reading af123's last post does suggest I don't really know what I'm doing - yet. :rolleyes:

You would be better working with @af123 to build a windows version of stripts than attempting to do the decryption yourself
You might be right. But my ignorance of the layout of the transport stream is beginning to show. I tried to analyse a decrypted .ts file a couple of years ago (yes I know other people have done it, but that doesn't help my understanding). I'm finding that I've now forgotten most of what I'd made sense of at the time. The idea of doing it myself is to re-learn the layout and to make sense of encryption. I suspect that would hold back af123's work. And as a 2000T user, "stripts" is rather meaningless to me.

I only run auto-decrypt on BBC recordings because it is a pre-req of the thumbnails package, with the new off-line decryption I no longer need it just-in-case I have a major Humax failure.

So I was wondering whether we might be able to extend the stripts support to decrypt and extract the single frame containing the thumbnail image rather than decrypting an entire 2hr movie just so we can look at a single frame a few seconds from the start. We could even generate the thumbnail whilst the programme was still recording!

@af123: Have uploaded a short segment of "Escape to the Country" (StdDef, .ts + .hmt - just in case). Took photo of MAC & S/N sticker and uploaded that also. (Note, although I've uploaded - I can't see the files in the upload directory. Please let me know if they haven't arrived and I'll try plan B).
Got it, thanks.. however it doesn't decrypt with the same method as the HDR, which is shame:
Code:
% ../stripts/stripts -@ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx... Escape\ to\ the\ Country_20180419_1502 test
Incorrect decryption key.

Running brute force now...

Back