Offline install of webif and other packages

alexp

Hi.

I tried downloading webif from

http://hpkg.tv/packages.html

However it looks like only the single"package" opk file is available. Lots or errors, looked like about 28 dependent packages missing when I tried to load from a USB stick.

Nothing happens when I click the "bundle" link on the website, which I am guessing is what I need (the opb file?).

---
I have four HDR-FOX T2's

Two are happy running webif 1.2.4-8 ffmpeg 0.10 autounprotect 2.0.1-1.

One other has been crashing with increasing frequency over the last two years.
So I have updated it and the fourth box to the current version software to be the SAME.
That's really the only way to be sure of carrying out valid hardware-swapping comparison.
I manually loaded webif 1.4.2-7, and installed packages online via webif for both boxes.

I'd like to keep a copy of the packages I install so that I can restore the boxes to exactly the same versions, ignoring updates until further notice.

I only really need webif and autounprotect for this.

Thanks.

Bundles are what you should be looking for, they are pre-packaged for installing via USB, compete with dependencies.

Link is broken. Doesn't work in Chrome either, which is not really surprising with a broken link.

. . . it looks like only the single"package" opk file is available
You are correct, non of the *.OPB bundle files are currently available, the server on which they are held is maintained by af123, so we'll have to wait for his input

Thanks. I had not seen that. An awful lot of leeway for crashes. I think most of it has been covered.

Here's the situation:

Box #1 and #2 are happy and have matching older software webif 1.4.2-7 and autounprotect 2.0.2.
I am not allowed to touch them as they work!
Box #3 has been freezing, even more frequently of late.
Box #4 was purchased to provide spares, and works as far a its limited use to date can tell.

In short this is where I am with Box #3:

----
All recordings copied from 500GB disk to a PC.

The power supply board was swapped in from Box #4.

A brand new 1TB disk was installed, and fix-disk -x -c run.
Software cleaned up and updated as follows:

Set RMA from webif
Install factory FW
Install system-flush
Install CFW
Install webif_1.4.2-7 online
Install auto-unprotect_2.0.2 online
Set Recursive Auto-Decrypt on MyVideos

All recordings copied back to the new 1GB disk from PC.
----

Fairly soon, Box #3 froze again. This time recordings were missed.

The final step a week ago was to swap in the motherboard from Box #4.
Note Box #4 was previously set up exactly as above so is a replica of Box #3 minus the recordings.

So now the only original hardware in Box #3 is the case!

I am now waiting to see whether another freeze occurs.
In the meantime, here are some questions:

1. If no freeze occurs, it is something to do with the #3 motherboard.
Apart from hardware failure, is there any firmware of any sort that was not flushed out that could cause problems?
Is there any other software or hardware investigation that could be done on the motherboard?

2. If a freeze occurs, it's not the motherboard
(a) Is there anything suspect about the case, ie stuff on the front, connectors, ... ?
(b) Is there anything suspect about the recordings freshly copied across. I have noted:
Total space 234 GB
One zero length file, .autodecryptR in the top level MYVIDEOS.
NO OTHER zero size files anywhere.
21 folders, all but one are series recordings.
21 .series files, one of which is in the top level MYVIDEOS.
100 each of ts, nts and hmt files.
96 thm files

Appreciate any help while waiting to how it behaves...

You are correct, non of the *.OPB bundle files are currently available, the server on which they are held is maintained by af123, so we'll have to wait for his input

... and is af123 around to provide the bundles?

As requested earlier I would like to be able to re-instate Box #3 and #4 to the current build, to avoid getting out of step in case of updates.

The minimum I need are the following for installing via USB stick.
webif_1.4.2-7
auto-unprotect_2.0.2

Thanks

Fairly soon, Box #3 froze again. This time recordings were missed.
Is this connected to your network? If so, try it without a network connection.

If no freeze occurs, it is something to do with the #3 motherboard.
Apart from hardware failure, is there any firmware of any sort that was not flushed out that could cause problems?
No

...Is there any other software or hardware investigation that could be done on the motherboard?
No

2. If a freeze occurs, it's not the motherboard
(a) Is there anything suspect about the case, ie stuff on the front, connectors, ... ?
It's not impossible - the front panel assembly is a functional part.

(b) Is there anything suspect about the recordings freshly copied across.
It's not impossible; if I were trying to eliminate all possibilities I wouldn't have copied anything onto the HDD after formatting it.

"Box #1 and #2 are happy and have matching older software webif 1.4.2-7 and autounprotect 2.0.2."
Just to correct this, the versions are webif 1.2.4-8 and autounprotect 2.0.1-1 in these working boxes. Fairly irrelevant.

Network not an issue. All three boxes are rarely connected. They share a dual wall connector and are plugged in at random when required.

"I wouldn't have copied anything onto the HDD after formatting it."
Unfortunately all these recordings have to be provided continuously for household. Not my recordings. Not enough room to set up all four boxes and leave Box#3 on a long-term test from an empty disk.

Is there any value in deleting all satellite files, leaving just the ts, .autodecryptR and .series ?

Fault-finding under those demands is difficult at best! Archived recordings are still accessible on the external disk - just leave it plugged in.

What do you mean "satellite files" - htm, nts etc? We call those "sidecar files", and without them you won't get normal playback and media listing. If the .ts is still encrypted, deleting the .htm will make it unplayable. Inexperienced users beware!

Hi,

Thanks a bundle for the bundles. Downloaded sucessfully.

"sidecar files"

OK- so is it right that I can delete those and the only effect on the user would be that they would have to start from the beginning of each recording? encsummary = zero so everything is decrypted - rather fundamental to be able to swap motherboards :)

Also is it safe to delete the .autodecryptR and .series files?

how often these crashes occur

Has been about once a month average for a couple of years. This was average so sometimes went 2 to 3 months without.
I turned off the low power standby and it seemed to make it better, so I got prepared to do a blind change of electrolytics and bought a suitable set. This was my thread at the time:

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/offline-install-of-full-web-interface-and-packages.6690/

The last 6 weeks it's been about once a week. I opened up the box and as no capacitors looked bulged or leaked I did a power board swap with box #4 instead ... and the story continues above!

Thanks.

My opinions, for what they're worth:

Deleting sidecar files is just stupid. It won't change anything.
If you delete the .autodecrytR file you will stop auto-decryption from happening. This is just a flag file containing nothing.
Changing capacitors without good reason is stupid - you risk damaging the board and there may not be anything wrong with the originals.
These boxes crash for inexplicable reasons at varying intervals - sometimes they'll do it twice a day, sometimes they'll go for 6 weeks without. You just can't tell.
I suggest you put up with it rather than trying to fix the unfixable. You will probably waste a load of time and at best not make things any better.

This does not strike me as any more frequent that my systems (although they did improve a bit when the network reliability improved)! I think you might be chasing something that has no cure.

I think it would be more productive to look for why your boxes 1 & 2 do not appear to crash - it's more likely to be usage patterns than the specific version of software installed on them (I have never noticed a particular issue with any particular revision).

Crashes are caused by either random events or systematic events. Systematic events are reproducible across all systems if the exact circumstances can be reproduced, and software bugs count as systematic (the circumstances may be rare though). Typically an external event takes the software execution into an area that was not adequately tested before release.

Random events are typically anything which causes a corruption of data in transit or while in storage. This could be power supply fluctuations, electromagnetic interference, or even radioactive decay in the materials the components are made of. You can ensure the power rails are clean and there's no immediate source of EM, but there ain't nowt you can do about radioactivity.

Last edited:
Hi all.

UPDATE TO FREEZING BOX:

5 weeks later and no freezes.
To remind you I changed the motherboard.
The box already had a brand new disk and power board swap, so it's looking like the motherboard.

UPDATE TO ORIGINAL POST: OFFLINE PACKAGE INSTALLATION

So I have pillaged my spare box for parts and therefore have recently purchased another HDR-Fox-T2 from eBay.

I went through the setup:

Install factory FW 1.03.12 (it was already this, but just to make sure!)
Install system-flush, and went through the brand new box config.
Install CFW mod 3.13

I then used the opb packages posted on
https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Customised_Firmware_-_Features_Available

webif_1.4.2-7_mipsel.opb left a log on the USB stick with errors starting at line 111 as follows:

<snip>
Installing wireless-tools (29-1) to root...
warning: commands will be executed using /bin/sh
job 1 at Fri Oct 27 14:53:00 2017
Can't open /var/run/atd.pid to signal atd. No atd running?
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 134213632 bytes
UUID=b12046fc-67cc-4339-aee7-32731b36687a
Disabling TCP window scaling
net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 0
grep: /mod//var/spool/cron/crontabs/root: No such file or directory
/mod/webif/lib/system.class:4: Error: error loading extension "/mod/lib/jim/xconv.so": File not found
Can't load package xconv
at file "/mod/webif/lib/bin/diskattrs", line 3
in procedure 'require' called at file "/mod/webif/lib/setup", line 13
at file "/mod/webif/lib/setup", line 8
at file "/mod/webif/lib/system.class", line 4
/mod/webif/lib/system.class:4: Error: error loading extension "/mod/lib/jim/xconv.so": File not found
Can't load package xconv
at file "/mod/webif/lib/auto/upgrade", line 3
Package wireless-tools (29-1) installed in root is up to date.
Configuring ncurses.
<snip>

I ran it again and got a slightly different log:

<snip>
Installing wireless-tools (29-1) to root...
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 134213632 bytes
UUID=680f370a-73e8-474d-bf7d-703ea71337aa
swapon: /mnt/hd3/.swap0: Device or resource busy
Can't load package xconv
Can't load package xconv
Package wireless-tools (29-1) installed in root is up to date.
Configuring ncurses.
<snip>

and also at the end this second time:

<snip>
Configuring webif.
Collected errors:
* resolve_conffiles: Existing conffile /mod/etc/anacrontab is different from the conffile in the new package. The new conffile will be placed at /mod/etc/anacrontab-opkg.
Finished installation...
<snip>

I then ran auto-unprotect_2.0.2_mipsel.opb and got this at line 104:

<snip>
Can't load package xconv
Can't load package xconv
/mod/var/opkg/info/auto-unprotect.postinst: line 3: pkill: not found
Can't load package xconv
at file "/mod/sbin/unprotect", line 3
Package busybox (1.20.2-1) installed in root is up to date.
<snip>

and at the end:

<snip>
Configuring auto-unprotect.
Collected errors:
* resolve_conffiles: Existing conffile /mod/etc/anacrontab is different from the conffile in the new package. The new conffile will be placed at /mod/etc/anacrontab-opkg.
Finished installation...
<snip>

So, is this something to be concerned about?

... I've uploaded the full logs here

Attachments

• opkg_install_OFFLINE-webif_1.4.2-7-FIRST.log.txt
    6.7 KB · Views: 0
  • opkg_install_OFFLINE-webif_1.4.2-7-SECOND.log.txt
    6.7 KB · Views: 0
  • opkg_install_OFFLINE-auto-unprotect_2.0.2.log.txt
    9 KB · Views: 1
Back