On Demand Services Not Working - Says no internet connection

Martin

Having problems today with On Demand services, none of them work. Just responds saying I am not connected to the internet yet the system info screen says that it is connected. Have tried re-booting the Humax several times and resetting my router but still not working.
Had a look myhumax.org and it looks like I am not the only one having problems!

Okay, so the relevant Humax server(s) have gone belly-up. Nowt unusual in that.

Well I learn something new every day!
I didn't realise that all on-demand used Humax servers, I thought that BBC Iplayer etc. all connected direct to relevant broadcaster.

If it works the same as the TV Portal on HDR-FOX, the service requests are authenticated at Humax and then passed on to the service provider. Disconnecting the aerial means the unit doesn't have access to the current date/time, and then authentication fails - so even with an Internet link, no aerial = no on demand either.

Well I learn something new every day!
I didn't realise that all on-demand used Humax servers, I thought that BBC Iplayer etc. all connected direct to relevant broadcaster.
Yes, that would seem to be the sensible way to do it. Presumably someone, somewhere decided that was way too easy.

Why does a request need authenticating by Humax anyway? iplayer, etc, manage to do whatever is needed for computers, phones, etc, without involving the device manufacturer.

Problem solved! For some reason my WiFi HotSpot had an invalid DNS IP address which the Humax box had aquired, changed that and it works fine.
All my other devices had the correct DNS address locked in.

Odd thing here that it has been working fine for more than a year, as so many are reporting this problem I am wondering if the Humax server has changed IP address..

I am wondering if the Humax server has changed IP address..
Even if it had, it shouldn't be a problem. That's why God invented DNS.
For the record, this is what it is currently (I don't remember it being on cloudapp previously, but I rarely check):
Code:
www.humaxtvportal.com   canonical name = humaxtvweb.cloudapp.net.
Name:   humaxtvweb.cloudapp.net
Address: 168.63.40.83

Odd thing here that it has been working fine for more than a year, as so many are reporting this problem I am wondering if the Humax server has changed IP address..
I don't think the Humax Freesat boxes access the Humax portal; I believe they connect to Freesat servers.

I don't think the Humax Freesat boxes access the Humax portal; I believe they connect to Freesat servers.
Now that would make sense to me. Occasionally our 1010s Freesat refuses to do on-demand. If it still doesn't after a couple of minutes I abandon it and use one of the FOX Freeview boxes which (so far) have always worked.
We don't use on demand a lot, maybe once a week if that, but I'd say the Freesat box 'fails' like this about 20% of the time.

Back