One box with identical settings to another does not return to standby

makem

HDR Fox T2 - two identical boxes both with identical settings and one has recently started not returning to standby over night.

The disable-ota is set on both boxes. I ensure the box 'red ring' is black and when I notice it sometime the next day the ring is blue and the HD is running as if it is about to record a program. I have to turn the box on and then turn it off to get into normal standby.

Last edited:
  1. Power on/off timers are both set to 'on'
  2. I checked all of the recordings that had not been deleted and all had the correct set of relevant files. There were to many files in the deleted folder to check so I deleted all the files.
  3. No delete loop
  4. It occurs after being on standby overnight.

The 'red-ring'was blue and the HD was running.

I will remove the disable-ota and see if it occurs overnight tonight.

Try a hard power off/on using switch on back or at plug, often clears it for me, but may need to repeat a few times

I uninstalled disable-ota yesterday and the problem did not occur.

disable-ota is installed on another box and it does not have a problem.

Any idea what is happening or how I could track down the problem?

Was the problem totally consistent, and now (in the absence of disable-ota) consistent the other way? If not, or if the number of observations is limited, it may be coincidence.

To prove it is definitely disable-ota to blame, reinstall it.

I have done. I admit it was only one night it did not occur but if it happens tomorrow then it is probably conclusive.
Not necessarily, Delinquent Half-Awake can come and go without rhyme or reason, you could go for another six months or more with any set of packages installed/not installed before you next experience the problem.
It is rare that it is clear what is the real cause of the these fairly rare events,

Bit more on delinquent half awake. I have had my T2 with CF for a number of years and never had that.
After sticking my neck out like that, I bet when I go and have a look at it, I will find that I now have.

Is this delinquent half-awake though?

I have to turn the box on and then turn it off to get into normal standby.
It would depend on whether the OP can use the remote for the on/off or is forced to use the power switch and whether he has a reminder set for the OTA period.
To @makem: The reminder now serves no useful purpose and should be removed. Disable-ota itself is no longer essential but it is still useful in avoiding an unneeded power-cycle of the machine.

The reminder now serves no useful purpose and should be removed.
I don't know what the current state of the standard firmware is in this respect. While it is true that the reminder is unnecessary as a backstop to prevent an unwanted OTA update (because there aren't any), an HDR-FOX may still need EPG refreshes if it is going to be recording from standby for a long period with no other activity, ditto if it is left recording from power-up with no channel changes.

Well, this always 'on' when I get up in the morning having turned it off via the remote is a real pain because of the lecky it wastes and the wear and tear on the drive. It certainly had been doing this for many weeks and I just turned the machine on and off again with the remote without thinking why for ages. In the last week or so, maybe two weeks, it definitely was on with the blue 'red-ring' every day, not random.

I only had one instance when it was necessary to turn it off with the switch as mentioned previously. That has not occurred again.

Usually the machine is set to record something every evening and other than news morning/lunch time and evening is hardly used during the day. It is turned off with the remote every evening. Nothing is stored permanently.

The OTA reminder was set in the past and when not set (one time mentioned above), no problem. It is set for tonight.

Will see what tomorrow brings.

an HDR-FOX may still need EPG refreshes if it is going to be recording from standby for a long period with no other activity, ditto if it is left recording from power-up with no channel changes.
There are very few real world scenarios where a box is going to be left recording for weeks on end, unless you are an on a round the world cruise and even then a weekly reminder would probably suffice though I thought the firmware was updated years ago to update the EPG when recording, for 99% of users who use the box on a regular basis the OTA reminder is unnecessary and causes an extra disk power on cycle.

I only had one instance when it was necessary to turn it off with the switch as mentioned previously. That has not occurred again.
OK so this is not the delinquent half-awake where the box appears to power off from the remote but doesn't actually turn off and the disk and network are remain active.
Power on/off timers are both set to 'on'
Usually the machine is set to record something every evening and other than news morning/lunch time and evening is hardly used during the day. It is turned off with the remote every evening. Nothing is stored permanently.
Why are you using the power timers? Why not just tum it on by remote at first use and off at bedtime?
The power timers have been implicated with problems in the past, especially if mismatched or multiple events set, but recurring reminders are normally a more reliable means of ensuring the machine is on for a period. The abilty to set Power events was removed from the webif because of the problems

When powering off are you sure the disk has actually clicked off?
It is a pity that there is no logging during normal Power off/standby events - sometimes I think I have pressed the power button the night before but there is nothing to confirm my frequently faulty memory.

To be honest, I had forgotten about the timers until they were mentioned. It is so long ago I cannot even remember the scenario in which they were used. Both boxes were set up years ago and apart from updating the CFW, not touched.

Of course today the timers are irrelevant as you point out.

As for powering off, I always make sure the red-ring goes black and then I leave. I only wait for the click if doing a reboot. Actually having to press a button is a pain lol. I just walk out of the room after pressing the button saying, "Echo, turn of the TV and light"! How lazy can you get eh?

This morning the red-ring is blue and the drive is spinning.

Yes, I am away for 3 plus weeks. I will leave the behaving box on standby as I normally do, set to record as and when programmed.

The problem box, I will uninstall the OTA and leave it switched off with the main switch. There is no reason for it to be on at all. When I return I will not re-install the OTA.

I have a VPN so HWMBO can watch her soaps if/when we have time.

Thanks all for bearing with me.

Back