One Hummy box - Two different sat dishes. Is it possible ?

Sorry, I am lost again. Is it what the firmware hack does, then? Allows you to add Sky News to the Freesat menu? Or are there lots more channels in non-Freesat mode on Astra 1 that can be tuned in? If so, is there a list somewhere?

Don't forget if you want Astra 1 then you will either 1. have to physically move your dish to 19.2 2. Add a second dish pointing at 19.2, or 3. Fit a motor to your setup.
All this is thanks to Grahams info

The firmware hack is nothing to do with it. If you use non-freesat mode with your existing kit you will get over 400 TV and Radio stations with your existing setup.

http://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

Adding 19.2E gives you

http://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=19.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

Right, but I am still not with it. How do I tune 19 in? Are you saying that I need just one more LNB and then use the diseqc feature? So, for instance, I have a quad LNB on a Sky box. I have two feeds to the HDR and one to an HD in the back. If I connected one more LNB and used that switch, would that mean that I could use my HDR as it is (record 2, watch one) but also access the channels on 19?

Sorry about the stupid questions but I know nothing about this.

Edit: I guess the intervening posts, which I didn't see, partly answer this for me. No. I would need a steerable dish or one pointing in a different direction?

Right, but I am still not with it. How do I tune 19 in? Are you saying that I need just one more LNB and then use the diseqc feature? So, for instance, I have a quad LNB on a Sky box. I have two feeds to the HDR and one to an HD in the back. If I connected one more LNB and used that switch, would that mean that I could use my HDR as it is (record 2, watch one) but also access the channels on 19?

Sorry about the stupid questions but I know nothing about this.

You can't fit more than 1 lnb to a dish pointing at the same satellite as they would have to go in the same place.
The lnb for 19E has to point at a different satellite.

Given that you have this yes the box will work as a normal freesat box and you can view 19E but not at the same time. To use the switch the box has to be in non-freesat mode.

Satellite primer.

All TV satellites are located approx 22000 mls above the equator, at this height if they orbit the earth in the same direction as the Earth spins the time to go round the Earth exactly matches the Earths rotation (a little less than 24 hrs) then viewed from the Earth they appear stationary (this is known as the Clarke belt after Arthur C Clarke). The Astra 2 group of satellites are located directly above the equator at 28.2E (In the middle of Africa). If you went there a dish would point straight up. Here in the UK they appear in an arc across the Southern Sky, eventually as you go East or West they disappear below the horizon so can't be viewed from the UK. As you might now realise 19.2E is at latitude zero longitude 19.2E. A seperate dish on 19.2E would point approx 9 degrees more South than the Astra 2 dish and point slightly higher. A lnb at the prime focus point of a dish aligned on 28.2 would point at 28.2E. By fitting a seperate lnb left or right of the prime focus and a little up or down you can get the second lnb to receive from a different satellite using the same dish. If the satellites are close enough you can fit a monoblock lnb (28 and 19 are too far apart). These have one output but have a built in diseqc switch which works just like using two dishes.

This is a picture accurate for a location in Kent

http://www.mbcsatellites.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/satellites.png

Update :
My diseqc switch arrived today (Mon 11/07) and after some inital niggles (The Hummy refused to find any sats when 28E was connected to LNB 1 of the switch but found the diseqc within 20 sec when 28E was connected to LNB 2 & 19E was connected to LNB1 ?) I followed the link Graham posted here at the beginning of the thread and within 5 minutes was happily viewing both 28E & 19E.
I can also say that when switching between Non Freesat and back to Freesat i do not lose my scheduled recordings in the list, although obviously i can't record from Freesat when viewing a program on 19E (it does ask if you want to switch to the "Reserved" channel though, so you can record from the schedule. When selecting "Yes" it automatically switches over to Freesat mode).
Thanks again for your help on this Graham, much appreciated.

Now, what time was that footy on ............ :D

Update :
My diseqc switch arrived today (Mon 11/07) and after some inital niggles (The Hummy refused to find any sats when 28E was connected to LNB 1 of the switch but found the diseqc within 20 sec when 28E was connected to LNB 2 & 19E was connected to LNB1 ?) I followed the link Graham posted here at the beginning of the thread and within 5 minutes was happily viewing both 28E & 19E.
I can also say that when switching between Non Freesat and back to Freesat i do not lose my scheduled recordings in the list, although obviously i can't record from Freesat when viewing a program on 19E (it does ask if you want to switch to the "Reserved" channel though, so you can record from the schedule. When selecting "Yes" it automatically switches over to Freesat mode).
Thanks again for your help on this Graham, much appreciated.

Now, what time was that footy on ............ :D

Loss of freesat channel recording reservations when using non-freesat was a feature :eek: of an earlier firmware, long since fixed thank heavens :). Thanks for the help, relieved it works. ;)

Back