One of my Humax HDR Fox 2 has a mind of its own.

I don't think you can, if you're using something newer than Samba 3. See here, but nobody seemed very bothered judging by the number of replies.

To technical for me.

If I can see the files on the Humax from a networked xubuntu then they must be mounted and if mounted must be viewable from a terminal on that machine. Just need to find the correct command syntax I would think.

Edit ssh is the answer and I forget the command but will come back with it. Currently I administer files on two remote drives connected to a Raspberry Pi. via ssh. Humax should be the same?

Last edited:
Why do you want Power On/Off timers in the early morning?

The recommendation would be to delete both

You can use Reminders instead if you need the system to wake up at specific times - they are easier to set and less problematic than the Power events.

Why do you want Power On/Off timers in the early morning?

The recommendation would be to delete both

You can use Reminders instead if you need the system to wake up at specific times - they are easier to set and less problematic than the Power events.

Yes you are right and I will turn them off.

Edit: I cannot turn off the Power Off Timer! When I turn it off using the remote so both timers are off, it comes back on after a reboot, saying the schedule has been restored. I tried turning it off via the remote AND via the web page but it still returns.

Last edited:
Schedule restore happens when the schedule is empty... put something in the schedule before removing the power timer and it should stop them being restored.

How about delete it then do a backup, so the one with deleted event is restored in future.

I turned off both Power settings, turned off the unit and left it off overnight. This morning both settings are still off so that is solved.

The only schedule was the OTA one but I will add another and I will do a backup too.

Lingering problem - I have a red ring around the ring when the unit is turned off. The drive is not running so not a great problem.

I have also removed the red-ring package.

No, it has always had no colour. Perhaps this is as a result of removing the red-ring packages. Will look into it later.

It is so long ago since I used any settings on the boxes.

The correct standby colour for the ring is orange (dim), on switching on it goes blue and then red while a recording is in progress. Orange is also the colour of ring in standby with the redring package installed: I don't think you can change the colour, but you can control the brightness.

Dim orange is the normal ring state when off, i.e. what the standard firmware does. You can only get a black ring in standby with the custom firmware and by configuring redring appropriately.

The correct standby colour for the ring is orange (dim), on switching on it goes blue and then red while a recording is in progress. Orange is also the colour of ring in standby with the redring package installed: I don't think you can change the colour, but you can control the brightness.
In the past I always turn off the humax using the remote control The ring goes black, no colour. The unit is in standby?

I seem to remember there was a request via af123 for an ability turn turn off the red as the users did not need prompting that it was in standby.

Found the message :)

Now I am unable to access webif from a pc.

The unit shows as connected on the router 192.168.2.21
I can ping that address
I can connect and view the files from xubuntu
The unit shows as connected to the internet
It shows the CF version on start up.

Would the quickest way to correct this be to reinstall the CF which is 3.03.

That relates to a MAC puter but anyway my network is set up correctly.

Humax:192.168.2.21
Router: 192.168.2.1
Pc: 192.168.2.18

I have done some searches of this forum and will maybe try via telnet to fix it. I just wondered as I am unfamiliar to say the least with the innards of the Humax, it may be quicker to re-install.

One thing of interest I found is that kubuntu can handle telnet from a terminal. Another thing I can drop from windoz.

Taking HWMBO out for posh fish dinner so will check back later.

Thanks for your interest :)

I liked Bryan's when I lived near Headingley. HR was miles away and I didn't have a car.
(Oh, I see it's been taken over.)
Then there was Sweat's rather closer to home when we rolled out of the pub next door. Bag of chips was 18p!

Lochfyne, for first time and was disappointed.

Got a 25% discount because it was not up to standard.

Back