Opt-out Retune Reminders

AlanB

I've been having a private conversation with Black Hole about some problems I've been having with nagging opt-out retune reminders from my new Humax HDR Fox T2. He asked me to post these problems in the forum to get more input and alert more people.

I just bought the Humax last Saturday. It's my first Humax for some time. I previously had two Topfields: 5800 & 5810, but both broke down and I thought I'd give the opposition a try.

I've suffered from the standard problem that I get frequent opt-out, nagging retune reminders. They all mention the channel changes on 17th Oct -- well before I bought and tuned my Humax. If you don't respond within a short time limit or have finger trouble when trying to opt-out, then it starts a full automatic retune and loses all your timers, channels and any programmes you happen to be recording. I strongly prefer a manual tune of just those muxes transmitted by my local transmitter. I had no end of trouble with duplicated channels on my toppys, and I see that the same problems could potentially happen on the Humax. Unfortunately, the Humax will not accept a manual tune as the answer to its retune nag, with the result that the nags are repeated every time I change channels or do anything else significant. So, I've had to retune and reset my times multiple times. My wife is all for returning the Humax as unfit for purpose. I'm a little more patient with it, as I suspect that the alternatives may suffer from similar problems.

I've tried Black Hole's 'bomb proof' advice. I tried to install the custom firmware version 2.13 with a revert to the firmware 1.02.20. Unfortunately, I could not tune any channels either on automatic or manual, i.e., the retune said 'no channels found'. So, I've reinstalled firmware 1.02.29 (which it came with) with the custom firmware 2.13. I got channels both without and with 2.13. I've also put in a reminder at 4.20-4.40, as advised, to stop OTA firmware updates. I intend to set the disable-ota and disable-dso options, but I'm still waiting for the wireless dongle I ordered to arrive (ETA Fri 9th), so I can't do this yet.

I'd welcome any advice on this problem and sorry for such a long post.

Thanks

AlanB - see HERE (click).

Your retune nag will vanish (until the next DSO event) if you allow the automatic retune, reboot (go to standby, wait for the drive to click off, turn on again) and then perform a manual retune afterwards, as per instructions HERE (click). If the retune nag comes back after that there's something wrong, but I expect disable-dso would fix it.

I'm not sure whether af123 agrees, but according to my analysis it is still possible for a retune to sneak through even with disable-dso. There has to be a reboot between the event being inserted (or reinserted) into the schedule and the actual time it is due.

AlanB

You can use disable-dso as detailed above BUT, the nag screen will only appear until you have answered NOW to the nag screen, If you click on LATER and then do a re-tune (manual or Auto) the nag screen will still be displayed, but if you select NOW and allow an auto re-tune (followed by a manual re-tune if you want it) the nag screen should not return

How much later will it nag you again? I've been away for the last 2 retunes (not digital switchover as that had already happened), but my brother-in-law who was housesitting said he was not able to opt out. Either it didn't let him click later or it came back again promptly - it wasn't clear and I only got the info 3rd hand. Could be user error of course :) . So, if he just clicked later - when would it try to retune again?

Of course the fact you have to do an auto-tune before it stops nagging makes it even more important that I install the CFW since that appears to be the only way to prevent it and certainly the only way to restore the schedule easily. I can't believe Humax don't see this behaviour as a bug - wiping the schedule on a DVR automatically is crazy behaviour.

In my case it was nagging me every time I changed channels. But that was Mon night. On Tues night it did not nag me at all :-(

Ah that could have been it then.

What horrible and disastrous software behaviour. As I said, I can't see how this is not seen as a bug - my wife was distraught when we thought we'd lost a weeks recordings (we were in time to catch the important weekend ones so no so bad as first thought). And then it happened again! And now to find out that even if you are there it will repeat until it does successfully wipe all your schedule (by retuning) is just mind blowingly bad behaviour.

How much later will it nag you again? . . . So, if he just clicked later - when would it try to retune again?

If you press LATER within 3 Mins. the nag screen will go away until the next time the Humax is turned on, If you do nothing the Box will re-tune automatically after 3 Mins. Selecting NOW within 3 Mins will allow an auto retune and stop the nag message, so without the Custom Firmware all you can do is, select LATER in order to make a note of your schedule and favorites, power cycle the Humax and answer NOW to the nag, to allow a re-tune, do a manual re-tune if needed and the put all the schedule and favorites info. back in. If you install the Custom Firmware you have a lot more choices, a re-tune is no big deal if you use the CF restore feature and you can also use disable-dso to prevent the nag in the first place

In my case it was nagging me every time I changed channels. But that was Mon night. On Tues night it did not nag me at all :-(
When this last happened to my box a few months ago, I seem to remember that after pressing 'Later' it would nag again after changing channels.

Ezra Pound said: "You can use disable-dso as detailed above BUT, the nag screen will only appear until you have answered NOW to the nag screen, If you click on LATER and then do a re-tune (manual or Auto) the nag screen will still be displayed, but if you select NOW and allow an auto re-tune (followed by a manual re-tune if you want it) the nag screen should not return"

I think I've accidently done something equivalent. After I accidentally selected Now and an automatic retune started, I stopped it, cancelled any channels is had found and manually retuned. Since then I've had no more nags, despite changing channels to induce one.

Ezra Pound said: "You can use disable-dso as detailed above BUT, the nag screen will only appear until you have answered NOW to the nag screen, If you click on LATER and then do a re-tune (manual or Auto) the nag screen will still be displayed, but if you select NOW and allow an auto re-tune (followed by a manual re-tune if you want it) the nag screen should not return"

I think I've accidently done something equivalent. After I accidentally selected Now and an automatic retune started, I stopped it, cancelled any channels is had found and manually retuned. Since then I've had no more nags, despite changing channels to induce one.

Hmm, I took my box to Cornwall last week so I had to retune (and again when I got back) I never once accepted the nag screen but the messages have gone away.

My wireless dongle has arrived. I've installed it, the custom firmware web interface and the disable-ota and disable-dso packages, so I should be in good shape now. Thanks to everyone who has helped me, especially Black Hole (why does he call himself this when he sheds so much light on your problems :)?

My only remaining problem is that my browser (Firefox, but IE too) often times out when I try to reach the web interface. I assume this is down to a poor signal, but other suggestions would be welcome.

Wireless helper installed. Thanks.

What about ir? Will that let me schedule my Humax from remote locations, or just from my home network?

Remote Scheduling is really useful, I perhaps don't use it as much as I could. However, now I have ir installed, I find I am using that quite a lot. If I am going out, for example, I will leave the HDR switched ON. As I have a port forward set up in my router (SSL port 443 IIRC), I can directly access the HDR from my iPhone via the ir package. I can, therefore, change channels and start/stop recordings 'on-the-fly' so to speak.

I am quite surprised the number of times I have used this facility.

I am quite surprised the number of times I have used this facility.
Me too! (that you have used it so often).

I do all my scheduling through Remote Scheduling - never have to bother with the on-screen guide any more.. That reminds me, isn't there a new series of TBBT starting next week?

ir imitates the InfraRed Remote Control Handset, so is of little use unless you can see the TV screen (or can imagine it at each stage). From a distance, that means simple operations only (change channel, manual record) and practice - unless you are clairvoyant.

Back