OTA Updates and questions

Just like to comment that thanks are due to those working on the custom firmware and webif. The save last streamed content is brilliant. A couple of questions though.

Should I disable automatic OTA upates if using the custom firmware ?

If a scheduled update takes place will that overwrite the custom version and revert the box back to standard?

Within package management what exactly is the mplayer?

Thanks for any input.

hould I disable automatic OTA upates if using the custom firmware ?

If a scheduled update takes place will that overwrite the custom version and revert the box back to standard?
The OTA cannot be disabled (not that we have found so far anyway). It is not a problem though, as long as you have the latest official firmware installed the OTA will not be acted upon. If the firmware were to update, it would over-write the custom firmware additions and then all you would need to do is re-load the custom firmware. If the firmware is updated to a new version, we would have to wait while af123 rolled out a matching version of the custom firmware (or we could re-load the older firmware and use the existing custom firmware). The custom software would, in the mean time, sit dormant and then spring back to life when the custom firmware is re-loaded.

Note that a firmware update clears the power on/off timer settings, so these would need to be reinstated manually.

If the firmware is updated to a new version, we would have to wait while af123 rolled out a matching version of the custom firmware (or we could re-load the older firmware and use the existing custom firmware).
I don't think it is always the case that you can easily revert to a previous version. The update to 1.02.20 reorganised some of the flash partitions making it more difficult to revert to 1.02.07.

Back