Ouch! Just saw this!

"YouView is believed to have entered over one million homes in the UK, but hasn't achieved as much success as the partners had hoped during its agonisingly long period in development."

I think it's a bit like 3D. It looks like everyone wants it and the 'companies' want to sell it (ie. make a profit from it), but actually most people aren't that bothered (and probably have a crap internet connection anyway).

My take on all this - just mine don't take it personally...

1. I'll watch TV across the internet the same day I get my brain replaced by a cauliflower
2. I use Freeview for the small amount of time I can be bothered to watch TV at all
3. I use BBC iPlayer on the odd occasion to download something I missed
4. I dont even install any of the other players - I have no intention of opening up another advertising route for them to waaste even more of my time
5. Once upon a time TV was about programs and advertising was happy to piggy back on top - now the tail is wagging the dog and thats not coming into my home
any more than I have to let it.
6. Watching a 2 hour movie with 5 ad breaks is unacceptable no matter how short they are - and as for 5x 5 minutes or more - forget it
7. I refuse to watch any program that has bits of screen "blurred out" - totally unacceptable
8. On screen logos - how bloody anoying can they be?
9. Advertising masquerading as programming - watch that crappy thing with holly willoughby early one morning - where the hell IS the watchdog?
10. I have zero sympathy for the BBC - they seem to think their priority is political correctness before program making - they get too much money and do too little with it
11. Far too many channels bradcasting any old rubbish just so they dont go black - shut them down.
12. Services like Sky-TV are charging obscene sums of money for what should be cheap entertainment - government should step in there and I seldom think that!
... so much more wrong its unbelievable.

"... the small amount of time I can be bothered to watch TV at all"

If you hardly watch it, how do you manage to be so annoyed by it?
Not that I don't agree with a lot of what you say.

Only 5 ad breaks in a 2 hour movie? Where? I think it's more like 8 or more on most channels. But that's the joy of a PVR, the pain is reduced to a few seconds of judicious (and judicial) clicking :)

My take on all this - just mine don't take it personally...
1. I'll watch TV across the internet the same day I get my brain replaced by a cauliflower

Funnily enough, Mrs Mike was told by a friend that Line of Duty was worth watching. Being as we had not recorded it, we decided to play it back via iPlayer starting at episode 1. Last night, between about 8--9pm, we watched episode 1. On trying to watch episode 2, and via the TV, Youview and a Fosat HDR, just to make sure the machines were not at fault, each time, we got an error message saying the program could not be played back. I checked our internet speed and it was 45Mbps.

Tonight we watched episode 2 between 8--9pm, but on trying to watch episode 3, we got repeated messages saying it could not be played back. Again, 45Mbps.

I fully expect the same tomorrow. We will watch episode 3 but the BBC will fail to deliver episode 4.

So, BBC, is this really what you expect future viewing to be like?

But that's the joy of a PVR, the pain is reduced to a few seconds of judicious (and judicial) clicking :)

Only works for things you recorded, though. For everything else, you have the bandwidth-challenged BBC iPlayer and other players to fall back on.

Only works for things you recorded, though. For everything else, you have the bandwidth-challenged BBC iPlayer and other players to fall back on.

Yes. But I did say " joy of a PVR" (where the R = Recorder).

Having comforts in life generally requires a bit of organisation - like having a pension beyond the basic. Not much point in having a PVR if you don't do that bit of organisation (and many things are repeated within a few days if you miss the first time). Relying on broadcasters catch-ups and the current internet will always leave you exposed to their weaknesses (and insistence on watching adverts).
CD sales remain surprisingly strong for similar reasons - having your own copy gives you more power and flexibility.

Jack 616 Missed another annoying BBC feature which has sprung up over the past year, namely adverts for up and coming broadcasts, usually twice in a one hour programme on radio.
For example 20 mins in to Paul Jones Blues programme the whole ethos is spoiled by some inane crap ( the worst was the cackling Alan Carr.) It is the same inthe daytime too-intensely annoying.
I posted here some 18 months ago:

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/whats-the-point.1853/#post-24042

I fully expect the same tomorrow. We will watch episode 3 but the BBC will fail to deliver episode 4.

I was wrong. Watched 3, 4 and 5 online and had recorded 6.

>>MikeSh: Yes, I am generally well organized about recording, but this was a case where we only found out as the series was ending that it was worth watching, it probably wasn't repeated, and the iPlayer window was closing.

... this was a case where we only found out as the series was ending that it was worth watching, it probably wasn't repeated, and the iPlayer window was closing.

I know what you mean. However, I find iPlayer such a faff (and our current version won't do subtitles) that it's a rare program that I judge to be worth the bother of chasing down.

There's only one program I really wanted which has never (afaik) been repeated (Ep1, Ser1 of Death in Paradise), everything else has been even if it was months or more later.

There's only one program I really wanted which has never (afaik) been repeated (Ep1, Ser1 of Death in Paradise), everything else has been even if it was months or more later.

Line of Duty is going to DVD, so if I had missed it now I would have had to have bought it.

We had the same problem when someone recommended Homeland to us, and leant us the DVD series 1. We then found that Series 2 had already been screened, and also that it was not repeated until almost a year later, when the DVDs were also released, just before series 3 was screened. Bummer!

You are a fan of Death in Paradise? So am I. I thought Ben Miller was wonderful in that role and was sad to see his exit from it. Sadly, I haven't kept any recordings or I could have let you watch mine. (Series 1 is £6 on Amazon.)

You are a fan of Death in Paradise? So am I. I thought Ben Miller was wonderful in that role and was sad to see his exit from it. Sadly, I haven't kept any recordings or I could have let you watch mine. (Series 1 is £6 on Amazon.)

Yes, we've seen them all - except the very first episode. Ben Miller was brilliant but Kris Marshall seems to have managed to take over without too much trouble. Same but different.

I might buy the S1 DVD one day, but I think £6 is a bit much just for the one episode - I'll keep a look out for a preowned one at a quid plus post :)

FYI, this very episode in on Alibi at 9pm, Monday 2nd June. Of course, you need Sky, Virgin or BT etc. to watch it.

Back