Out Damned Sky

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Grab your 007 library while you can - I've just read that from October, Sky will be taking over the screening rights just like they did the Star Trek franchise.

We tried to keep it a secret from you, obviously failing miserably.

Seriously though, it is bad news. Although most of us complain about repeats, and rightly so too, James Bond on ITV has been a tradition as long as I can remember. It very sad IMHO. Murdoch does it again.

Yup. I have never bothered to record them because they are aired on a regular basis, ditto Star Trek. I'm not the sort who wants to keep vast libraries of that sort of thing (or at least, if I was I've grown out of it). But I'm close to furious that PBS staples are being poached so avidly - I've never understood why people would want to subscribe to Sky or cable (except perhaps avid sports enthusiasts), but it seems they've found a lever to apply.

People will eventually realise Sky's just not worth it wont they? Especially if this recession does mean more belt tightening for more people? Most of the people I know still take Sky only because they think it's the only way to get "Sky+" type functions (or they switch to Virgin with effectively the same thing) - they have no idea that it's just PVR functionality they could have for free. Trouble is how do people get to realise how much money they're wasting? ("Fool and his money..." and all that).

It shows that Sky must be bothered about it though if they are gunning for the PBS staples as BH accurately describes them. Hopefully as long as there are Freeview channels that can sell adverts I suppose there is at least a chance that they can put some money into trying to get them back? But the only outcome (I fear) must be that as the generations that don't see the need for Subscribed TV gradually dwindle in number, you will get generations of TV consumers who have always had it and would never see a reason not to have it?

Yup. I have never bothered to record them because they are aired on a regular basis, ditto Star Trek. I'm not the sort who wants to keep vast libraries of that sort of thing (or at least, if I was I've grown out of it). But I'm close to furious that PBS staples are being poached so avidly - I've never understood why people would want to subscribe to Sky or cable (except perhaps avid sports enthusiasts), but it seems they've found a lever to apply.

Belay that lever order Number One...

Happy days (well for me but not Mrs Oijonesey) - stumbled onto Pick TV last night just after 7pm and there it was - Star Trek TNG on Freeview. Admittedly it's still a Sky channel but one that doesn't need any money to watch. Much joy for me - rolling of eyes and tutting from SWMBO!!!! It's never gonna be Kirk, Spock & McCoy but hey at least it's something on Freeview. @BlackHole - time to unpack the Starfleet Pyjamas!!! :)

Tea, Earl Grey...hot....

PS. I never packed away my Starfleet PJ's

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Well, now Sky have great bill-boards advertising themselves as the home of Bond movies, I guess that means I will actually have to go to the cinema for Skyfall. Is the name a premonition or should it have been called Skyrise?

I've been curating my film collection and find I'm missing some (don't know why):
  • From Russia With Love
  • Goldfinger
  • Diamonds Are Forever
  • For Your Eyes Only
Anybody got StDef recordings of these, willing to drop them on a USB stick for me (I will provide)?

Well waddya know - there are Bond movies on ITV2 again.

Meanwhile I have acquired the full set on DVD second hand from eBay (even the non franchise one) and the Dan Craigs on BluRay.

Back