Output power of Aerial Out port on HDR Fox T2?

zekepliskin

I wonder how much signal degradation (if any; there must be a little I'd guess) the Aerial Out port of the HDR Fox T2 causes? Currently I have the main aerial of the house hooked up to the HDR Fox T2, and the Aerial Out goes into the Sony BRAVIA TV, which is useful when using Picture And Picture for HDMI output of one of many devices (not limited to the Humax) side by side with a channel provided by the TV, i.e. keeping an eye on a file transfer on the HTPC while watching some kind of sport, I do like split screen for utility. I don't notice any signal breakup or picture issues on either device normally so it's minimal enough to be a non-issue.

Now, I'm thinking of introducing a custom firmware 2TB HDR Fox T2 to the same room, based on my mostly overwhelmingly positive experiences with the current main custom firmware 4TB HDR Fox T2, specifically for my partner's shows which are starting to clash with things I want to record, i.e. doubling the amount of tuners available and able to have completely separate recording schedules - and of course, separate remote codes so unpredictable things don't happen! At this point we're looking at daisy-chaining main feed to Humax 1 Aerial In, Aerial Out of that into Humax 2 Aerial In, then aerial out of Humax 2 into Sony BRAVIA TV Aerial In. Is this going to provide any serious issues with a signal the current HDR Fox T2 rates as averaging 70-80% on both strength and quality (odd considering the nearest transmitter is less than 5 miles away; methinks it may soon be time for a roof climb and aerial realign as I didn't fit it), what do you guys with any practical experience make of it?

Last edited:
Is this going to provide any serious issues with a signal the current HDR Fox T2 rates as averaging 70-80% on both strength and quality (odd considering the nearest transmitter is less than 5 miles away; methinks it may soon be time for a roof climb and aerial realign as I didn't fit it), what do you guys with any practical experience make of it?
It should work fine. You don't need any more signal strength; this is digital TV where once you have enough signal strength to get a 100% signal quality then more signal strength makes zero difference; too much signal strength can cause problems.

At this point we're looking at daisy-chaining main feed to Humax 1 Aerial In, Aerial Out of that into Humax 2 Aerial In, then aerial out of Humax 2 into Sony BRAVIA TV Aerial In.
You shouldn't have any problems, but make sure that you turn off power saving in standby, or you will lose the aerial feed to one or more of your devices.

It should work fine. You don't need any more signal strength; this is digital TV where once you have enough signal strength to get a 100% signal quality then more signal strength makes zero difference; too much signal strength can cause problems.

This is very encouraging; even if my S.O. doesn't use the box too much it could serve as a suitable "backup" when the other dies, or has HDD problems again. I have one of the 2010 build V1 HDR Fox T2 units and it is pushing nine years old at this point, also it was bought used so I've no way of knowing how many uptime hours it has! Even as well built as they are, they won't last forever...

You shouldn't have any problems, but make sure that you turn off power saving in standby, or you will lose the aerial feed to one or more of your devices.

Good point. I believe the current HDR Fox T2 already has that disabled so the aerial pass through still works.

Is this going to provide any serious issues with a signal the current HDR Fox T2 rates as averaging 70-80% on both strength and quality
I don't believe your quality figure is 70-80%.
I would get a 3 way splitter rather than daisy chain, as the overall system reliability will be better.
odd considering the nearest transmitter is less than 5 miles away
Why is it odd? What figures would you expect, and why? And which transmitter, and what power is it, and what's the terrain path between it and you?
There's probably nothing wrong with the aerial alignment.

I don't think there's any problem here (except a quality figure of 70-80% would be unwatchable), I think the OP is being over-cautious in not "just trying it". I have a dual HDR-FOX set-up daisy-chained to the TV (although I rarely watch the live signal on the TV).

I might be inclined to feed the two Foxes' aerial inputs independently via a splitter (if there is enough signal), but the TV from a daisy-chain. That way it's a common two-way splitter, and if anything goes wrong it will be immediately obvious on the TV screen rather than only later when watching a recording!

Back