Over responsive Remote Control

It was me, the original message is here. In my case the problem persisted after removing the IR sensor from the front panel board. Out of interest, is it a new model 'RE' box (vertical aerial terminals and MICOM 12.1 front panel software)? The MICOM version can be found on the system information page on the Humax.

Edit. As it is under warranty I'd get Humax to fix it: they will do this if you have the receipt. If you bought it from a store and you take it back to them they probably won't have stock to replace it.

Got to agreee for the OP, 8 months old, send it back. Mine is somewhat older than that so I might try the custom firmware and IR package - which software specifically?

Being able to fix this by replacing the front panel might also point to dodgy components or solder. However my box is curently behaving (who knows why, I didn't fix anything!) so I'll wait for the next time it goes ape before getting out the screwdriver or USB-drive-and-firmware.

PS. Forgot to mention that changing the IR codeset (the 'multi-Humax in one room' fix) had no affect. I didn't expect it to but thought I'd try that. It also occurred to me that most IR remotes run off a 38kHz carrier so I would have thought it unlikely that a flourescent tube would cause this - or do they actually run at high frequencies?

had to post an answer if only to thank you guys. Turned on the humax this morning and used the program up/down button and it started scrolling through all the channels and (after pressing exit) I tried other menus with the same result. In a panic I pulled the batteries from the remote but it continued scrolling. Pulled the plug and started again - same result. Eventually I searched the Internet and found this site. Using the suggestions here I found the problem. A remote for a Toshiba DVD player was placed badly in the remote holder I use and a button was being pressed and stuck (it was the blue button from the coloured buttons on the Toshiba remote). The IR signal from that was combining with the Humax remote to cause the problem. I have been able to reproduce the scrolling at will by pressing that button and using the Humax menus so no doubt that was the problem. I would never have thought of checking for that so a big thanks to all.

Back