Overheating HDR-Fox T2 / Picture break up

ms323

I am posting this in case anyone else comes across the same problem.

Symptom:
Picture break up that starts and deteriorates after the box has been on for an hour or so.
High temperature (almost too hot to touch) by the RF connectors on the back of the box and the metal backplate surrounding those areas.

Suspected cause:
The tuners/associated circuitry in the HDR-Fox T2 are not receiving sufficient cooling.

Temporary solution
Using the custom firmware and fan package, running the fan at 40% all the time has so far cured the problem. The temperature of the metal parts near the RF in/out is warm but not too hot.

Long term solution
Unfortunately I have one of the HDR models with a noisy fan that becomes intrusive the faster it spins. I will probably attempt to replace the fan with a quieter model and run the fan at a higher speed. This will probably mean replacing the standard molex connector with the smaller one present on the HDR.

Have you used the WebIf system monitor to keep a check on the HDD temp? It is a very useful tool.

I have my fans running at a constant 40% too. The running temperature always hovers around 38/42 degrees in both my HDRs. Having said that, I have fitted WD AV drives, as listed in my signature below, which seem to be 'cool runners' anyway.

I had to replace a fan some time ago. It was noisy from early on but couldn't be bothered returning the box just because of the fan. It was ages ago now and remember I had to modify the connection. As I had already broken the anti-tamper seal when I replaced the HDD and removed the orange filter, I wasn't concerned about the warranty. Fortunately, I haven't had any problems that made me regret my 'tinkering'. All my HDRs are well out of warranty now anyway.

Have you used the WebIf system monitor to keep a check on the HDD temp? It is a very useful tool.

I have my fans running at a constant 40% too. The running temperature always hovers around 38/42 degrees in both my HDRs. Having said that, I have fitted WD AV drives, as listed in my signature below, which seem to be 'cool runners' anyway.

I had to replace a fan some time ago. It was noisy from early on but couldn't be bothered returning the box just because of the fan. It was ages ago now and remember I had to modify the connection. As I had already broken the anti-tamper seal when I replaced the HDD and removed the orange filter, I wasn't concerned about the warranty. Fortunately, I haven't had any problems that made me regret my 'tinkering'. All my HDRs are well out of warranty now anyway.

I haven't checked the HDD temperature but I will do. Thanks for the temp figures - I still have the original Seagate drive in the machine and I will report back on how the fan mod goes.

Have you tried opening up and dusting it out?
I haven't - there is a slight trace of dust on the blades, but the fan and the inside of the machine are very clean. I am tempted to put some oil on the bearings to see if that helps.

Well, if it's clean inside that kills my idea. A layer of dust on the hot bits would stop the airflow cooling them.

Hi ms323

My two boxes maximum temps are the same at 44c.

However, the one on the higher shelf (approx 11" from the floor) is set to 43% and the one on the lower shelf (approx 3" from the floor) is set to 35%.

May be try running the fan at a lower setting (if this reduces the noise) and move the box to a lower (cooler) position nearer to the floor.

Since nothing else is working and it is by the RF modules... have you got antenna power turned on? (menu -> settings -> installation -> antenna power)

Thank you for the advice. The RF 5V is off. I will try different heights and maybe lifting the corners off the ground so the underneath ventilation holes are more exposed. A new fan is in and I am running it at 40 per cent. Max HD temp so far under load is 41 degrees C.

Back