Overheating HDR - HDR Refusing to connect Via Laptop

Andybrody

My HDR in bedroom has sudenley started to overheat.
When I tried to Log into WebIF from my laptop to check what was going on with the FanPackage
I get this

This site can’t be reached​

192.168.1.23 refused to connect.

I can play files on my lounge HDR via Foxlink using the same/normal IP address
I can play files on bedroom HDR via Foxlink using the normal IP address of the Lounge HDR
I have reconfigured the Bedroom HDR IP manually again back to the original IP 192.168.1.23 as it for some reason set itself to DHCP and the wrong IP.

I have just switched it off via Power switch on rear to allow it to cool down to see if this helps to loging into WebIF.
Anyone have any ideas why laptop cant see the IP but the HDR'S can see and play each other.
TIA

Anyone have any ideas why laptop cant see the IP but the HDR'S can see and play each other.
What is your networking topology?

I have several units on HomePlug, and then if the HomePlug which links to the router crashes the other HomePlugs carry on as an independent network (that's how they work). I can easily provoke the disconnect, eg downloading a large file through them, and then I reboot the HomePlug local to the router.

What is your networking topology?
Both HDR's are hard wired Ethernet Via 2 seperate Hubs that are hard wired to Router, one is in the loft the other behind TV/HDR lounge, the laptop which can connect normally to the Lounge HDR is connected via WiFi.

some reason set itself to DHCP and the wrong IP.
They, or at least some, seem to do this randomly. I had many instances over the years.

As you are hard-wired it is more reliable to leave the boxes on DHCP and set the router up to give them a fixed/reserved IP address. Since I did this, having hard-wired the network to them a few years ago, I've never had a problem (yet).

I have just switched it off via Power switch on rear to allow it to cool down to see if this helps to loging into WebIF.
I allowed the HDR to cool down for about an hour and can now log back in.
When I did found the following Pending System Notifications :-

03/12/2021 22:44:29 - The recording schedule has been automatically restored.
22/01/2022 04:23:16 - Automatically upgraded package tunefix-update from 1.0.112 to 1.0.113
24/01/2022 04:24:35 - Automatically upgraded package tunefix from 2.0.3 to 2.0.4
27/01/2022 04:23:21 - Automatically upgraded package tunefix-update from 1.0.113 to 1.0.114
Your Humax crashed and some packages may have been disabled as a precaution. (2 instances)
... view the crash.log for more details. (2 instances)
12/02/2022 15:33:02 - Temperature 50 exceeds alert threshold 50. (8 instances)
12/02/2022 15:39:02 - Temperature 51 exceeds alert threshold 50. (4 instances)
12/02/2022 15:48:02 - Temperature 52 exceeds alert threshold 50. (6 instances)
12/02/2022 15:54:02 - Temperature 53 exceeds alert threshold 50. (2 instances)
12/02/2022 16:18:02 - Temperature 54 exceeds alert threshold 50. (9 instances)
12/02/2022 16:27:02 - Temperature 55 exceeds alert threshold 50. (4 instances)

I'm going to Fix Flash Packages and reboot to see if it solves any problems.
Hopefully may cure overheating as well.

As you are hard-wired it is more reliable to leave the boxes on DHCP and set the router up to give them a fixed/reserved IP address
Just looking at doing this, I cant remember where I'll find the The Mac Address can you nudge me in the right direction please :)

Think
My HDR in bedroom has sudenley started to overheat.
When I tried to Log into WebIF from my laptop to check what was going on with the FanPackage
I get this

This site can’t be reached​

192.168.1.23 refused to connect.

I can play files on my lounge HDR via Foxlink using the same/normal IP address
I can play files on bedroom HDR via Foxlink using the normal IP address of the Lounge HDR
I have reconfigured the Bedroom HDR IP manually again back to the original IP 192.168.1.23 as it for some reason set itself to DHCP and the wrong IP.

TIA
I Think Ive sussed this now, HDR has crashed twice unbeknown to me and probably disable the FanPackage, then the unit overheated 55+ degrees and for some strange reason I could not access it from laptop (but could from lounge HDR). Unit has been running now for almost 2 hrs and temp has stayed stable 35/40 degrees.
One last thing how do you access the crash log?

One last thing how do you access the crash log?
WebIF >> Diagnostics >> View Log Files (list of logs down the right hand side) :rolleyes:. It might not tell you much, there is not always warning of a crash so that a log entry can be made before the actual crash.

HDR has crashed twice unbeknown to me and probably disable the FanPackage
Yep.

The "disable flash packages" function is a failsafe, so that crashes induced by specific packages (those which are tightly integrated with the Humax code) can't create a deadly embrace (in this case, uninterruptible crash cycles), but this is more a hindrance than a help once the packages have a track record of being "clean". It is only invoked if multiple crashes occur in quick succession.

There is a mechanism to disable the disable (WebIF >> Diagnostics):
For anyone who wishes to disable this automatic plugin-disable safety net, you can... run the plugin_autodisable/off diagnostic.

If your box is crashing, then something else is wrong, but this will at least stop things like undelete going away. One warning, if something is wrong with one of the plugins then your box could enter a permanent reboot loop that requires a custom-custom firmware to resolve. There have been no recent reports of instability though.

To re-enable the automatic disable feature, run the plugin_autodisable/on diagnostic.

Or alternatively on the command line:
To prevent this:
Code:
humax# touch /var/lib/humaxtv/mod/no_plugin_autodisable

Note that there will still be a warning posted on the WebIF that some packages may have been disabled, but with the above flag file installed there is no need to take any notice. Unfortunately, until we can update the WebIF code, there's no way to modify that warning when no action has been taken to disable packages (nor be able to tell whether the flag file is installed).

I think you are conflating separate issues, and the "over heating" as a result of the fan package being disabled is not specifically to blame for your inability to access WebIF:
  • 55°C is not excessive, and is normal for a HDR-FOX without the benefit of CF+fan.

• The Humax OS (a version of Linux) is multitasking, which means the various services run as independent processes, and consequently any particular process can crash without necessarily bringing down the whole edifice. All you've seen is the web server having crashed but not the file sharing server.

Last edited:
Think

I Think Ive sussed this now, HDR has crashed twice unbeknown to me and probably disable the FanPackage, then the unit overheated 55+ degrees
What setting you had on fanpackage?

My t2 did exactly that a while back although it did not overheat the hdd. Best way to find out when the disabling crash happened is to look at sysmon for the last week/mth temperature graph

WebIF >> Diagnostics >> View Log Files (list of logs down the right hand side) :rolleyes:. It might not tell you much, there is not always warning of a crash so that a log entry can be made before the actual crash.

Yep.

The "disable flash packages" function is a failsafe, so that crashes induced by specific packages (those which are tightly integrated with the Humax code) can't create a deadly embrace (in this case, uninterruptible crash cycles), but this is more a hindrance than a help once the packages have a track record of being "clean". It is only invoked if multiple crashes occur in quick succession.

There is a mechanism to disable the disable:

...and from the Wiki:

(on the command line of course)

Note that there will still be a warning posted on the WebIF that some packages may have been disabled, but with the above flag file installed there is no need to take any notice. Unfortunately, until we can update the WebIF code, there's no way to modify that warning when no action has been taken to disable packages (nor be able to tell whether the flag file is installed).

I think you are conflating separate issues, and the "over heating" as a result of the fan package being disabled is not specifically to blame for your inability to access WebIF:
  • 55°C is not excessive, and is normal for a HDR-FOX without the benefit of CF+fan.

• The Humax OS (a version of Linux) is multitasking, which means the various services run as independent processes, and consequently any particular process can crash without necessarily bringing down the whole edifice. All you've seen is the web server having crashed but not the file sharing server.
Thanks for you response all seems to be ok now.

Back