Package Management - Installed

peterworks

Ye Olde Bowler
When looking at the Package Management list I am not sure which ones are a 'must' and which ones are not. Also I cannot tell easily which ones I have installed myself. I suspect that if I tried to remove a 'must' then I would get a warning (I am too chicken to try !).
Would it be possible to define, somehow, next to the name of the package whether it is required, optional or installed by user ?

Thank you

When looking at the Package Management list I am not sure which ones are a 'must' and which ones are not.
A lot of it is down to personal preference and what you are trying to achieve. We had a thread about this a while back.
Also I cannot tell easily which ones I have installed myself.
I found that in the early days, but mostly I know now. On the other hard, does it matter whether you know or not?
I suspect that if I tried to remove a 'must' then I would get a warning
You would.
Would it be possible to define, somehow, next to the name of the package whether it is required, optional or installed by user ?
Nothing is 'required' other than things that the Webif itself is dependent on (a growing list these days as there is so much functionality).
The dependencies can be complicated, so I guess technically it would be possible, but the page is slow enough already and this would make it a lot worse.

Thanks prpr. Looked at the 'a while back' thread which makes much sense and I suspect I will catch up with you in getting to know them.
The main reason I asked is that I am old school in that I try to only have what is needed running on systems.

Thanks again

It is also worth knowing that installed packages are not all 'running', some are automatically started at boot up and execute at regular intervals, but a lot of them never execute until kicked of by the user, it's like having a program on your computer that does nothing until you call it up, so it will not be taking any processing power

Go to WebIF >> Settings >> Advanced Settings and switch Show development and advanced packages? to "No" - that should reduce the confusion.

Back